3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

need help with the rust recall (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:06 PM

No rust on the seam so it's a Level 4.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:28 AM

that looks like a level 5 to me if that area has rusted through in any other spots. try and see if you can stick a screw driver through any of the places where there is rust by the seam. if it has rusted all the way through within 1cm then its a level 5. if not then its for sure a level 4. sometimes it still looks like it has not rusted through but if you stick it with a screw driver all of the rust will fall away.

if they do a level 4 recall then they have to no only put a plate back there for the seat belt to bolt into but they also have to remove ALL rust in the drivers side rear wheel well by sandblasting it. then they have to patch all of the spots that had rust. then they have to spray a protective undercoating inside the wheel well. print out the recall from the website that I provided and take that to the dealer when you go to let them know what WILL be done to your car and if they do it wrong you will know about it.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by maximaboi
...first of all there would be no america because we would be a part of brittan. there would still be slaves. everything that we know now would be totally different just because no one stood up for what was right....
Absolutely! That is why I positively support what u do. Go for it.

I do similar things... what I tried to express: burning candle from both ends hurts only the candle. Ppl inside any "nissan" -system think that all is right. Quite a few are sincere as they know anything else, and fear for their jobs, and try to please all. Surely [the lying ones] should lose it. Building steam into myself when I see all this only wears down. (too often I do) Keep helping, Go for it, its great job u're doing.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:44 PM

thank you wiking. when I first saw your post I thought you were trying to say that I should not worry myself over this and to give up. Im sorry for the misunderstanding
Old 05-24-2005, 11:35 AM

Got a call from Nissan Consumer Affairs on Friday 05/20/05 and said he would call me back on Monday. Got a call on Monday from the same person and got me set up with an appointment with a local dealership to get the car inspected. This morning I called and will be dropping the car off next Friday, June 3.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:37 AM

this has been a very long and hard fight with nissan, but I deserve what is right and fair.

Congrats on having the patience to deal with this. Nissan is a VERY aggravating company to deal with on crap like this. I had to go through a lot of headaches to get an '02 Frontier repaired (purchased brand new with a defective computer) so I have an idea of what you're dealing with. Good luck on getting your car fixed and keep us updated.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:23 AM

Because I live in the salty NorthEast(Waaaa!), I'm afraid to remove my backseat after reading this post. But from it, I am also gaining confidence that Nissan will address the issue(to a degree) if it has not been addressed yet on my 90SE.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:04 PM

this is a horror story, i went to nisan for y-pipe bolts to bolt on to the header pipe. $30 for 6 what a rip off man, first i was there for an hour, they couldnt tell me which god dam bolts they were. then i asked about my rust recall, mine isnt bad, from what i see, i asked them, they said my 1991 was too old to look up the vin #, so he said ok, ill check it on the old computer, all it gave him was that there was a "bulletin" he printed one out and wouldnt let me read it, there were 2 other ones, i gave him my cell and house phone #, a week later, nothing!!!! should i call corporate??? god dam i hate nissan, and i am not driving yet, god i cant wait until i can drive, for now i must rely on parents!
Old 06-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 93 GXE has spent its life registered in FL, AL, and now WA. Since none of these are "salt states," does anyone know if I have a prayer when it comes to getting this recall done if I find substantial rust? I already have fuel leaking from my filler neck when I fill 'er up.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:23 PM

Didn't think I had the problem, pulled the seat and all looked good. Pulled the trunk carpet and noticed a rust spot near the seat belt attachement. Pushed on it and poked my finger through it. I tugged on the seatbelt and the assembly is still firmly attached. Now I have a hole though and I'm wondering what to do. I really don't want to hassle with Nissan. I'm going to inspect more tomorrow but from what I can tell I have just the one hole, maybe 1" by 2" and the assembly seems firmly in place. What should I do? And, although I am in Cali, the car is from Chicago and still titled there. I'm actually surprised I don't have more rust.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:05 PM

my old maxima was sold and owned its whole life in kentucky, a non-salt state. then when I moved to ohio it came with me and it didnt matter if the car was from a salt state or not. the recall IIFC says that only people in salt states had to be told about the recall. the recall is good for every 3rd gen in the USA.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:15 PM

I wonder if I need to worry about mine. I have a hole below the seat belt assembly but the assembly is attached very tightly. There is no rust anywhere else. I suppose the rust could be worse from the wheel well side. I really don't like the thought of a hassle with Nissan. I'll probably keep the car for another year or so. I'd like to just patch the hole if possible.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:24 PM

yeah you can patch it as long as your sure that the seat belt assembly is going to be safe. you said that you thought that it was tight so if you dont want to deal with nissan then I would say go on and fix it yourself. what I did to my new maxima was take out the gas filler neck and get up inside the wheel well and sand the area all around the seat belt bolt down to the bare metal. then I used some 3M underbody coating and sprayed it all up in the area around and on the bolt.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try that. Hopefully things look good in the wheel well.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yikes...hate to bring this post out of the woodwork but I am having this problem and am starting what seems to be the long tedious process of getting it rectified. Thanks to this post I have learned a TON about this problem (and Nissan's shady ways), and have begun to collect the data necessary to help me get this fixed, FOR FREE!!!

I'm about to go outside and try to view the extent of the damage. What should my first step be? Call Nissan? Go directly there? Goodness, this is gonna be fun.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:01 PM

call your local dealer, tell them about it, if they give you any ****, call corporate. and if you dont get your way....push your way through, they MUSt replace it because it is a hazard to the person wearing the seat belt in the rear.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:39 PM

ba! dont call corporate if things dont go your way

read this thread
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....1&goto=newpost
Old 07-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The link won't work I guess I'll start the loooong tedious process tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:29 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....1&page=1&pp=30

steps you should take:
1. go there
2. dont take **** from them
3. tell them you know about the recall and that you want the free inspection
4. if 3 goes ok, then go to step 5 else go to step 6
5. find out if they know they have to pay for the damage(after they found the level) now skip step 6
6. call the guy in this thread who is mentioned a billion times for help
7. rust fixed for free or possible get car bought from at weak trade in value(dont allow the later)

but after you go there and get some tings figured out come back if you need more help.

oh and good luck.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....1&page=1&pp=30

steps you should take:
1. go there
2. dont take **** from them
3. tell them you know about the recall and that you want the free inspection
4. if 3 goes ok, then go to step 5 else go to step 6
5. find out if they know they have to pay for the damage(after they found the level) now skip step 6
6. call the guy in this thread who is mentioned a billion times for help
7. rust fixed for free or possible get car bought from at weak trade in value(dont allow the later)

but after you go there and get some tings figured out come back if you need more help.

oh and good luck.
Thanks so much for your words of advice...I struck a goldmine of support in finding this forum (thanks to my boyfriend John) and am glad I have you guys to help me out!

I have been a long time Maxima lover and this problem has really saddened me to uncover the entire issue. I had no idea it was this extensive and it makes me view Nissan in a different light. My first car had this problem, I got the recall notice, brought it in and they fixed the fuel leak problem. I was never even told about the risk of much more extensive rust and can only hope they did the right thing and inspected my car while it was there without even mentioning it.

My first car was a 91 no frills Maxima that I immediately fell in love with. I drove that car everywhere and maintained it beautifully. At around 205,000 miles after our last romp in upstate NY she gave up and the transmision died on the highway on the way to work, on a Monday morning. I knew what it was before she was even towed to the shop and tried to rationalize fixing her.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

...it just wasn't worth it and I cried my eyes out while cleaning it out at the shop...I know, such a sissy.

So, now left with no car I was forced almost into buying my next one. I jumped too quickly at the decision and ended up with a broken, battered, poorly maintained car that requires a TON of maintanence. This WILL NOT happen again...

Thanks again...I'm on my way to the dealer!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:19 AM

bump..... just got some new information. I will post about it later on today
Old 09-09-2005, 10:32 AM

never mind
Old 03-22-2006, 08:51 AM

I called the Corp. office and was really "IMPRESS" about the Customer Service. I was told that she could not find any recall about my 93 Maxima bec. it was more than 10 years old & the record is in archieve (spelling) & will get someone to retrieved the files will take a week. I then told her that I saw the recall in NHTSA website & was concerned bec. "MY PREGNANT WIFE" will be the one who will be driving it & would not want anything to happen to her, she then said of ait let me get you right to our agent to immediately process this inspection. She gave me her her first name & her direct extension & said that she will transfer me to the agent & if anything happened & would like to call her regarding this matter she will be gladly help my with it. I talk to the agent & she said that the investigation is in the process & she will call me tomorrow before the ned of busness day & then gave me her name as well & ext.

Let's see if she calls back tomorrow!

-Brian
Old 03-23-2006, 12:30 AM

maximaboi, thank you for posting the link to the nhsta website, I printed off the entire .pdf and I'll be calling my dealership to check the vin to see if its done. I had wondered why I had no fuel pressure..heh..I'll be posting my discoveries later today.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:13 AM

glad that I could help you out
Old 03-23-2006, 07:53 AM

glad that I could help you out
NP, as with someone else in this thread, I called my local Nissan Dealership, Girard Nissan in Groton, CT..and They said that my VIN number was invalid. So I'm on the phone calling NNA right now..will update.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:06 AM

Spoke with Nachelle at NNA and she said that my VIN number is valid but the owners information isn't up-to-date. She informed me that there are no pending recalls on the vehicle for this VIN and that more than likely the previous owner had already completed the recall, but to verify she had to "dearchive" the vehicle information and that would take atleast 24-hours. I've read this somewhere in another post so I know its not total BS..Will update

heres pics for everyone to see the damage, I highly doubt this recall has been done..although its not THAT bad..

(56k warning)

the first 2 are before me "poking"
the last 3 are me poking with my finger just a smidge

And the woman said this recall "May have already been completed." wtf?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:19 PM

Nissan called me back. (4:24PM) Nachelle told me that there was no recall for my vehicle because the vehicle wasn't in the "VIN Range". I began to tell her that from what I know of that ALL Maximas years 89-94 have this recall and began to read here the exerpt from the Defect Information Report "All 1989 through 1994 model year Nissan Maxima vehicles manufactured from August 1988 through February 1994 and all 1990 through 1992 Nissan Stanza vehicles blah blah blah" and she interupted me and said "Me and my supervisor looked through 3 different screens and there is no recall on this vehicle because it doesn't fall in the VIN range listed in the report." I told her I've read through this report and there is no VIN Range listed. She said "I'm not going to argue with you, so please contact the NHSTA. Theres no recall listed for this vehicle so please call me back if you find out different." My battle begins.

Left a voicemail on Larry Strongs phone and I'm going to be emailing him pictures after I finish this post.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:21 PM

Called Nissan back, got tired of waiting. Spoke with Tracy (guy) in Consumer Affairs and he did some research and said that they put my car down as a 2000.
He changed it and relooked in the computer and he said that the recall is there, there is no recall information on my VIN number stating the the recall has been completed, and that the reason it wasn't stated on my VIN number before is because the dealerships don't have the supply to fix the problems currently.

The bulletin originally went out in January of 1995, and the bulletin was revised and resent in February of 2006 due to people still needing to do the recall.

Why do they have to be such tools.

edit:

Forgot to post this, but Tracy also said to notify anyone that I know with this "type of vehicle" to make sure that your owners information is up-to-date with Nissan, because they are sending out notification letters to the owners with 89-94 Maximas when the dealerships are ready to fix the recall.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxzilla91
wow ****... that's some really bad rust. i first discovered a patch of rust near that place 2 months ago, but i scraped it with a screw driver and sanded it down to see that it hasn't rusted through, so i left it.. i wonder if they have that recall here in canada
Did you ever find out if we can get the recall in Canada?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
Thanks for that, just what I was looking for.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by mszilves
Did you ever find out if we can get the recall in Canada?
Does anyone know if the recall applies to Canada as well, and if so, which agency to contact? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:06 AM

I'm still anxious. I called Girard Nissan once again and spoke with Tony and he said that there were no recalls on my car, so the recall info had not yet been added to my VIN# and that Defect Bulletin 95V244 "Did not exist in their system". I have yet to hear back from Larry Long, going to give him another ring before I leave for my workout.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:34 AM

Larry Long finally returned my call (April 5th). I explained my situation to him and he told me about how he's been on this case for a pretty good amount of time.

The bolt retaining the rear seatbelt has now rusted completely off. My son was in his carseat at the time the seatbelt bolt came apart from its rusty retainer as I was breaking and lunged his carseat forward into the back of my seat.

Before Mr Long called me back I contacted Nissan and they still say there is no recall listed on my VIN.

I told Mr Long about what Nissan had told me about them "re-issueing" the recall in February of 2006, and he said he had no word on this and that it was new to him.

Seems Nissan is still up to their old tricks and not committing to their end of the deal.

I emailed pictures to Mr Long and my situation and he said he'll shoot my email over to Recalls and Defects at Nissan and get them to agree to a resolution so I can get this recall taken care of.

I'll update whenever I find SOMETHING out.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:04 PM

Nissan finally called me back (April 11th) but, of course I'm at work. So I call them back today (April 12th) and Tiffany informs me that the reason they were calling me was to tell me that my car was not part of the recall because either A) The year of manufacture for my vehicle, or B) The VIN was not in the VIN range.

I read, once again, the blurbage that states "All years 1989-1994 Nissan Maximas and all 1990-1992 Nissan Stanzas blah blah" and also quoted "Nissan is responsible to correct this defficiency regardless of vehicle age, odometer, or owner blah blah blah." She said she was forwarding it to a "specialist" and they would contact me withing 1-2 business days.

This is seriously starting to get irritating, I forwarded all the info to Larry Long..I think I should hire an attorney..anyone agree with me?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:10 PM

thats what I had to do. I have a friend that is a laywer. he went with me to the nissan delaer once and I got a call less than 12 hours later saying that they wanted to buy my car from me. its sad to say but that might be the only way to get to nissan.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:46 PM

thats what I had to do. I have a friend that is a laywer. he went with me to the nissan delaer once and I got a call less than 12 hours later saying that they wanted to buy my car from me. its sad to say but that might be the only way to get to nissan.
I spoke with Larry Long again and he informed me that their customer reps are trained to tell people that there vehicle isn't in the vin range if theres no recall listed and theres a recall in question. He's building the case against nissan, but you already know this, he said that he received an email from nissan about my vin stating that the VIN history was archived and they would have to go fetch it and would give him a call back, probably sometime next week, ugh
Old 04-25-2006, 09:23 AM

Super friggen duper.

Evidentally the recall HAS already been done on my car. January of 1997 at 66,000 miles. Super FRIGGEN DUPER. guess I'm SOL on this one, time to sell it, i'm not driving a car that my son can't even sit in.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:40 PM

If I may..... If the problem still exists it doesn't matter that it's already been done, Get a lawyer and take them to court and make them FIX it !!
You've gone this far don't quit now !!!

Troy.

Quick Reply: need help with the rust recall (long)