3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

water in my ride!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 12:18 PM

water in my ride!!

Any ideas of where the hell it can be coming from? It is only on the passenger side both front and rear. I am trying to figure out where it is coming from. Anyone else have this problem before?

It did rain pretty hard last week here in Hawaii. But only the left side? It is really strange!! I've got a lot of sounds in my ride and don't want it shorting out. Or even worse going up in flames.

Our 3rd gens have a gap between the body and the rear tails.....could water be coming in from there? I have the slightest of clues. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Sukoshiyoshi
Old 11-11-2004, 02:55 PM

Looks like your sunroof drains are blocked. That happens, especially if you park under trees a lot. Slide the sunroof and look for the drains. I have heard of people using compressed air to clear them out. For all it matters, the water drains through the rear wheel wells (hoses run all the way through).
Old 11-11-2004, 02:56 PM

have a friend hose down the car and start looking around inside
Old 11-11-2004, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Looks like your sunroof drains are blocked. That happens, especially if you park under trees a lot. Slide the sunroof and look for the drains. I have heard of people using compressed air to clear them out. For all it matters, the water drains through the rear wheel wells (hoses run all the way through).
The front drains are easy to access, but how do you get to the rear drains? In my car the water doesnt get in but when i start driving and i am on a decline in drips from the sunroof. I cant get to the back drains from on top but was wondering how to get to them to check if they are clogged.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:33 PM

Thanks a lot guys!! I will look into those items. I have already sealed the sun roof shut and plan to get rid of it all together. All the salt air here in Hawaii make it rust too fast. I have already replaced the glass and had them redo the body work around the rim but still rusts!! I guess it is the preice you pay to live in paradise.

sukoshiyoshi
Old 11-15-2004, 11:34 AM

The honda that i traded for my maxima did that. come to find out it was a seal near the windshield. I cam in behind the dash and i had a puddle from in the floorboard from front to back.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I dont know about 92 but on my 89 the rear drains come out behind the rear weels. There is a round rubber bood about 1/2 round sticking out toward the center of the car on both sides. Stick something in through the tube and try to clear the blockage. one of mine was clogged and it was causing the floor on the opposite side of the car to get wet, I guess because of the angle the car sat at when parked. Also, you might check to make sure the water is not comming from your air conditioner. A friend of mine had a different kind of car. His a/c drain got kinked and kept flooding out the passenger side.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:48 PM

I know that it not the ac because I had it checked recently. There was one occation when the ac run off valve was facing inwards and bring the water into the cabin though.

I will look at those plugs you said that come out the rear of the vehicle. Come to think about it my ride does kind of lean to the passenger side when I do park.

Thanks so much for all the ideas. I will look into them.

Sukoshiyoshi
Old 11-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Yourself

o.k you can open the roof (on level ground)and pour water in the gutters at each corner then see if it makes it to the end of drian at the same corner (under car)mine was clogged at the rear pass.look inside the jack compartment there is a drainhose for roof and a "y " shaped pipe that connects it to the drian hose off the antenna its was clogged in the "y"area you might stick a thick wire or ? up it from under (youll see a grommet +tube) good luck