3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

"Skipped" timing belt??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

"Skipped" timing belt??

Since the search function is disabled, just redirect me to another thread if this has already been discussed.

I found a '92 Maxima for sale and I could have it for a song, except this is what the seller told me about it: "The timing belt skipped so it could just need a new tensioner or it could be worse. I was going to fix it myself but have no time."

I'll have a look at the car tomorrow, but my question(s) is/are thus: Does the VE30DE motor even use timing belts? I thought it had a timing chain(s). (I know the VG's use belts.) If the tensioner did indeed let go, what am I looking at in terms of possible repair? (Interference engine? 24 bent valves, etc...).

Inspections tips specific to these cars anyone here could pass along are greatly appreciated.

(The seller didn't say the car was an SE, but he said it has leather & a 5 sp, so that rules out a GXE)
Old 11-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by charlie brown
Since the search function is disabled, just redirect me to another thread if this has already been discussed.

I found a '92 Maxima for sale and I could have it for a song, except this is what the seller told me about it: "The timing belt skipped so it could just need a new tensioner or it could be worse. I was going to fix it myself but have no time."

I'll have a look at the car tomorrow, but my question(s) is/are thus: Does the VE30DE motor even use timing belts? I thought it had a timing chain(s). (I know the VG's use belts.) If the tensioner did indeed let go, what am I looking at in terms of possible repair? (Interference engine? 24 bent valves, etc...).

Inspections tips specific to these cars anyone here could pass along are greatly appreciated.

(The seller didn't say the car was an SE, but he said it has leather & a 5 sp, so that rules out a GXE)
VE30DE has timing chains. Interference engine, so the valves could be FUBARD. Another scenario is that the seller has the car's year wrong, it could be a 91 or something. If you can get it for cheap, best idea would just be to drop another engine in there (if the car doesn't run).
Old 11-12-2004, 11:14 AM
STFU n00b!

you never know with this.. if it was a 92, the VTC sprockets could have exploded on it and killed the timing chain.

it could be a 91 and the owner have the year wrong... in that case, slipped timing belt is common. plan to replace the engine.

it could also be a 92 GXE with leather and an "automatic 5 spd" as one lady told me when I asked her if it was an auto or 5 spd transmission.

main question to ask first: does the engine run at all? any nasty noises? will it turn over?

do some diagnostics and see... pull the oil cap off the engine and turn it over and see if the cams turn. if not, then the belt/chain is broken and the engine is likely FUBARd.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, the owner tells me that it's a 92 SE. I actually forgot to ask if the motor will run, but I'll see tomorrow. Has anyone seen a tensioner failure on a VE? I didn't think tensioners failed frequently or catastrophically with timing chains (belts are another story...).
Old 11-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Way out West

Depending on how cheap you can get it and what condition it was in, I would buy it just for the fact that it is a VE with a 5-speed and leather. Worse case scenario, you can buy a JDM engine for under $1k and it would probably cost another $1k for labor. Those are high, safe estimates, too.