3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Getting a Maxima - '93

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 06:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Getting a Maxima - '93

Well, my sis is giving me the Maxima (93 Four Dour SE black)...this car has been in the family since it was new (was pops car before hers). I gave her my Truck 7 years ago so she is returning the favor. I'm thinking about getting rid of my Honda and the note and just keeping the Maxima.

Couple questions:
1) He says he can hear a tapping noise in the engine. Has me a little worried. The oil has been changed religiously by my dad and my bro in law. The engine has 190K. Which, for one of the best engines ever made, shouldn't be an issue. He says it stills gets up and goes just fine.

2) Its the automatic and its having shifting issues (seems to not want to shift up, if he eases up on the gas it'll shift). I read on here about swapping in a manual tranny cuz the autos are trash. As you can see in my sig, I'm pretty heavy into Jeeps. I've replaced my axle with a ford explorer 8.8, put on the lift, replaced the clutch, helped a buddy with an engine swap, put a dana 60 and 70 combo wtih a dana 300 with an SM465 under another buddies Jeep. However, these Japaneese cars scare me a little. Are there any write-ups on how to do the swap? Will there be computer issues with the different tranny?

Otherwise, he says she is in great shape.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:37 AM
mod or sell?

Don't worry about the VTCs (that's probably the noise you are hearing)

and just swap in a 5 spd because your A/T is going to toast.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Don't worry about the VTCs (that's probably the noise you are hearing)

and just swap in a 5 spd because your A/T is going to toast.
Alright, am I blind or is there no search function on this board?

I don't want to be noob blasted, but what does VTC stand for? And, since I can't find the search (edit:HA...found it!!), I can't find any q&a on the swap.

Model years that I can swap a manual from?? Computer issues? Only SE or can I use a GXE standard? I saw one post about keeping the axles shafts from the SE because they are bigger.....you guys snapping axles? Thats one thing I do have some experience with
Old 11-15-2004, 07:39 AM
mod or sell?

search doesn't work for those of us who don't donate.
VTC = Valve Timing Control
use only the 92-94 SE (DOHC 24 valve) manual trans.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Way out West

The VTCs are on the AT versions of the VE30DE engines, too. The clacking noise is the variable timing sprockets loose. The spring inside gets worn. It is an expensive fix (unless you do it yourself), but you can usually drive for thousands of miles with no problems, just the annoying noise.

from 92-94 only the SE has a manual tranny and these are the only three years for the VE30DE engine.

from 89-91 the SE had the same engine (VG30E) as all GXE models (89-94) and only the SE could be had with a manual tranny. Basically, all SEs had available 5-speeds, GXEs are AT only. The engine/tranny set up is different for SEs depending on year. Since you have a 93 SE, you would be best served looking for a 92-94 SE 5-speed tranny.

IIRC, there is no computer change that needs to occur from AT to MT. I believe one axle (driver side?) is different from the AT to MT. Someone who has done this swap can tell you more, I am sure there are a few minor things I don't remember because my car came with a 5-speed.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:49 PM

manual VE's have VI