3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

installing front struts on a 92 SE, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 10:20 AM
RacerChoi

Hi guys, wonder if any 1 can help me with this. My front left strut and mount is worn out, so I'm thinking of replacing both the front struts myself. I replaced struts on a Volvo once, so I'm hoping to pull this 1 too. Has any 1 replaced struts on their maxima? Is it worth doing it, or should i rather put it in the shop? Also, I'm thinking of getting the struts from autozone, monroe or gabrial, cheaper than nissan struts, but are they worth it??? would appreciate some info. thanks a bunch

Old 04-19-2001, 10:23 AM
I'm needing a caw

It's pretty easy. The two things that you must have are spring compressors and a very large nut to remove the drive axle nut. The torque value for this is about 100-150 ft lbs. so you will need a 1" drive stocket and a very long breaker bar(about 3-4 feet)
Old 04-19-2001, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by RacerChoi
Hi guys, wonder if any 1 can help me with this. My front left strut and mount is worn out, so I'm thinking of replacing both the front struts myself. I replaced struts on a Volvo once, so I'm hoping to pull this 1 too. Has any 1 replaced struts on their maxima? Is it worth doing it, or should i rather put it in the shop? Also, I'm thinking of getting the struts from autozone, monroe or gabrial, cheaper than nissan struts, but are they worth it??? would appreciate some info. thanks a bunch
As far as a brand of struts to get, I would get KYB over Monroe or Gabriel. They will be about the same price, and much better, from what I've heard. I got mine from shox.com for $249.00 delivered (all 4). It only took 3 business days to get them here. I haven't got them insatlled yet, I plan on doing it this weekend. I'll let ya know what I think of them in about a week or so.

Oh ya, if you can change Volvo struts, I'm sure Nissan aren't any more difficult. I did them in my '87 Maxima about 5 years ago, no sweat.
Old 04-19-2001, 12:39 PM
RacerChoi

amer27

thanks 4 the info guys. Do let me know how those KYB struts ride. I don't want a rought ride, although i don't have much choice cause i have a SE. But the least thing i want is a stiffer ride than what i already got.

Old 04-19-2001, 12:49 PM

I put KYB's on the front myself. They work fine. I had no trouble removing the 2 lower mounting bolts with a 1/2 drive, 18" breaker bar, and I'm a broken down, old 5'-7" wreck.
Make sure you also buy new strut boots.
Old 04-19-2001, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by brubenstein
I put KYB's on the front myself. They work fine. I had no trouble removing the 2 lower mounting bolts with a 1/2 drive, 18" breaker bar, and I'm a broken down, old 5'-7" wreck.
Make sure you also buy new strut boots.
You mean strut dust boots, right? The accordian looking black almost rubber things? I got those, new strut bearings, and sway bar bushings. Depending on what else I see when everythings apart, I might do more.

How much stiffer does a stock SE ride than a stock GXE, assuming same mileage, etc?
Old 04-19-2001, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Isaacm

You mean strut dust boots, right? The accordian looking black almost rubber things? I got those, new strut bearings, and sway bar bushings. Depending on what else I see when everythings apart, I might do more.

How much stiffer does a stock SE ride than a stock GXE, assuming same mileage, etc?
You got the boots!
After 60K miles, I wouldn't use the word stiff in the same sentence as front struts for either. Since I had driven my car when it was brandy new (it had been my mother in law's), I would venture that the KYB's are stiffer than new SE OEM struts. They are quite a bit firmer than new GXE struts.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:03 AM
RacerChoi

Kyb's ride stiffer than nissan struts?? guess I'll have to go with the nissan struts then. Don't need a stiffer ride. man i'm so confused bout the whole thing. just can't make up my mind on the freakin struts.. lol. what good r strut boots? yea the gxe rides completely different than the Se (3rd generations). If i had a gxe, I'd probably get the dealer struts, unless you dont care bout the comfy ride n more.

Old 04-21-2001, 06:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I didn't have the cash to buy expensive aftermarket struts so I just picked up a pair at Pep Boys auto parts for $49 bucks each. They were McPhearson Gas struts and the made a world of difference for my maxima. It went from bouncing like a low rider at the bumps to a nice, not too stiff but good ride. Big difference. Of course I had original equipment on a car with 157k miles too.

Good luck. They will rent out the clamp tools for free (deposit required) at most Pep boys and Kragens. After I found out Pep Boys will install the struts for $40 dollars each side I decide I will be having them do the job in the future. Its a bit of work.
Old 04-23-2001, 12:07 PM
RacerChoi

Jmac, u sure bout $40/ strut installation at pep boys?? some 1 quoted me $70/strut a few minutes ago. 40 bucks does kinda sound cheap, guess u got a good deal. Did you replace the boots n the top brace ( mounts) too?

Old 04-27-2001, 07:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

RacerChoi,

Yeah, its really only 40$ per strut. Its the Pep Boys in El Cajon, CA. ( San Diego County). I was surprised at how cheap it was so I asked the guy at the counter if that included a Nissan Maxima and he said yes. I don't know if its just cheaper cause I'm in San Diego or what but 70$ is lot more expensive. Do you have Pep Boys out your way?

JMac

Originally posted by RacerChoi
Jmac, u sure bout $40/ strut installation at pep boys?? some 1 quoted me $70/strut a few minutes ago. 40 bucks does kinda sound cheap, guess u got a good deal. Did you replace the boots n the top brace ( mounts) too?
Old 06-08-2001, 01:20 PM

Hey everyone, it's been too long since I've been here. I have been too busy with other crap. But in the meantime, I have done the 4 struts in the Maxima, and the 2 struts / 2 shocks in the Pathfinder. Wow, what a difference. I used KYB's for both vehicles, and I am very pleased: semi-smooth ride with good cornering and not too much roll. I got kinda good at doing the swap, and I'm sure most here could do it. Just take your time.

It's great to visit again, and hopefully I'll be around more often now.