3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

full injector cleaner: use/don't use

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 06:10 AM

I was wondering what you guys thought about using fuel injector cleaner once every 3-5K miles. I've heard people say to do it for preventative measures, and others say it's just a waste of money. I also own a Toyota pickup and on one of the boards that I get on frequently the consensus is that it's not necessary. Many people say they have gone 300-400K miles without using any kind of additive. What do you guys think about this. I just purchased my Max and was wondering if I should start running some injector cleaner through it occasionally. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2001, 07:58 AM

The type of injectors used in 3rd gen Maximas will benefit from the use of injector cleaner a couple of times a year (I only use the Chevron products with Techron). Newer style injectors, provided good gas is used, can get by with out it.
Old 04-20-2001, 10:21 AM
89GXE

BG 44K

This stuff is hard to find but it is very good I use
it about once a month. I definitly recomend using 44K
or Techron at least twice a year.

Old 04-20-2001, 11:20 AM

Re: BG 44K

Originally posted by 89GXE
This stuff is hard to find but it is very good I use
it about once a month. I definitly recomend using 44K
or Techron at least twice a year.
That's what I've heard......that the BG 44K is the best way to go. Where do YOU find it?? Do you get it off the internet or your local parts store. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: BG 44K

That's what I've heard......that the BG 44K is the best way to go. Where do YOU find it?? Do you get it off the internet or your local parts store. Thanks for the info.

I was only able to find it at the dealer. Forget how much it costs, but probably close to $20, but worth the money.
Old 04-20-2001, 01:53 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I've always used NOS cleaner. I've experienced gains upwards of 30-40 more miles when it's in my tank.
Old 04-20-2001, 05:55 PM
89GXE

Well i work at a dealership so for me the stuff
flows like water other than dealerships I don't know
where to get it, sorry.

Old 04-20-2001, 11:50 PM
davis449

I use the Import Performance fuel injector cleaner and octane booster every 3K, both are made by Penzzoil and they work just fine, even together. Otherwise, every full tank I get, which is about every other week, I use Outlaw octane booster and I've never had a problem with anything. I have 117K on my car and have never had to have the fuel injectors looked at. Gas mileage is a plus too. I use all this in combination with 93 octane.

Old 04-20-2001, 11:55 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

im not sure putting in octane booster ever tankful is the best idea.................
Old 04-21-2001, 06:29 AM

Higher octane does NOT help you ANY unless your car has a problem with the lower octane. I can understand running 93 because the SE specifies premium fuel... however to use octane booster is just silly, because you really aren't accomplishing anything other than wasting your money.

Also while I'm on the topic... Why are some of the VG guys using premium? Doesn't the VG just need 87 octane? Honestly for my Max the ONLY gas it gets is the absolute cheapest gas I can find. The car runs great on it, it has no need for anything of a higher octane. So I'm just curious... are the cars pinging? Why spend more money then you have to on gas?
Old 04-21-2001, 07:40 AM

The engine will run best on higher octane gas. If you use 87 octane, and there is any dedonation, it will be detected and the ignition retarded. Retarding the ignition causes it to lose power (it's done to lower the combustion chamber temp). The biggest problem with cheap gas, as opposed to just low octane gas, is that it doesn't have the best detergent packages and the injectors, fuel system, valves, etc. get crudded up faster. I generally find good, name brand, regular to work fine in my car. Cars differ though in their octane requirements due to things like combustion chamber deposits (which raise compression).
Old 04-22-2001, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by brubenstein
The engine will run best on higher octane gas. If you use 87 octane, and there is any dedonation, it will be detected and the ignition retarded. Retarding the ignition causes it to lose power (it's done to lower the combustion chamber temp). The biggest problem with cheap gas, as opposed to just low octane gas, is that it doesn't have the best detergent packages and the injectors, fuel system, valves, etc. get crudded up faster. I generally find good, name brand, regular to work fine in my car. Cars differ though in their octane requirements due to things like combustion chamber deposits (which raise compression).
Ok, that's cool. I'm used to the RX-7 which DOES have a detonation sensor... it just isn't effective... and the bad thing with the rotary is that ONE ping can destory the engine. (yes I run only the finest 93 I can find it :-) )
Old 04-22-2001, 05:51 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Higher octane burns slower and more effeciently. You will get better gas miliage out of higher octane than lower. Plus, some of us have increased timing which requires the 93. Octane booster, I've experienced, has increased fuel effeciency in that tank by around 40+ extra miles in that one tank, in increasing effeciency of fuel burning by the better octane fuel, a few hp may be gained depending on engine condition and of it's components. Before races, that's why some use the booster, or buy 100+ octane gas from performance markets, for those of us that have them available to us.
Old 04-25-2001, 03:12 PM

I have not been able to readily find BG 44K but have now consistently used Techron. My vote is Techron - does a good job, readily available and reasonable retail cost (about $7-8). I run it through every other oil change.
Old 04-25-2001, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by Tick Tock
I have not been able to readily find BG 44K but have now consistently used Techron. My vote is Techron - does a good job, readily available and reasonable retail cost (about $7-8). I run it through every other oil change.

$7 for Techron? What size?

I generally pay $4.59 at my local Pep Boys.
Old 04-26-2001, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by Tick Tock

Go to the link below - there's various "flavors" of Techron.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/nafl...uel_add_fs.htm
Old 04-28-2001, 06:52 AM

Depends...

Originally posted by deesel104
I was wondering what you guys thought about using fuel injector cleaner once every 3-5K miles. I've heard people say to do it for preventative measures, and others say it's just a waste of money. I also own a Toyota pickup and on one of the boards that I get on frequently the consensus is that it's not necessary. Many people say they have gone 300-400K miles without using any kind of additive. What do you guys think about this. I just purchased my Max and was wondering if I should start running some injector cleaner through it occasionally. Thanks in advance.
Every once in a while you may be using cheap/inferior gas (gas prices are terrible) and they may not have the additives/detergents that you need and may do a little damage and dirty injectors may be the blame.