3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Maxima already CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Maxima already CAI?

what exactly qualifies for CAI?

the maxima already draws air from outside the engine bay, well somewhat. now i know it's restrictive but isn't it really already CAI? or does cai mean the filter has to be outside the engine bay?
Old 12-10-2004, 09:05 PM

I agree, it is a CAI, but only when the car is moving. Aftermarket CAI's are much less restrictive. Looking at the OEM CAI it's 1 inch behind the headlight, not so good for air flow, not to mention the airbox and resonator. If you've ever seen a 4th gen OEM CAI, Nissan greatly improved it over the 3rd gen, there is a little scoup just below the hood. Still more power is achieved by making it less restrictive. I made my own CAI, powered by 'Home Depot', using 4" aluminum dryer duct. It works as good or better than aftermarket stuff.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:10 AM

Cold air is more dense, [nonews] and thereby contains more oxygen to burn per one measure. That is why intercoolers [why only for turbo air intake?] are used... When a 200hp engine works at full capacity, its generated excess lost (80kW?) heat "would melt things" under the hood if the car would be kept stationary, hood down, no air circ.

While driving, air temp under hood is just about same as ambient temp [intentionally], few degrees plus depending how well the eng compartment is shielded, so its not big deal where the air is sucked in -while driving-

Cheapest way to add few hp to a stock engine is to drill 1" holes (4-6pcs) in the filterbox wall [before the filter]. As you say, the first piping part flow potential capacity is only approx ½ of the afterfilter capacity. This is maybe to tune the intake noise down or just plain intention to cut horses... The plastic pianobox effect higher horse shrieks will now come out through these drilled holes, they may be toned down with some foam bits (make sure filter will not suck it in and airflow will become more restricted.) The escaping lowerpower vibrations, ah they wake up even the deaf granpa's, or produce butter from u neigbours milk...

Contrary to better opinions, I humbly think [thinking is forbidden only in N-korea] that the original filter is not the most restrictive element on intake, surely all better elements help. There are many restrictions on the intake, because ? of maximaIII mfg problems. Seek out, they're 'hidden'
Old 12-11-2004, 08:59 AM

so does that mean you could free up just as much horse power by just cuting out like a 4" hole in the side of the engine bay right next to the filter, and then just connect the stock airbox and hole with a 4" tube?
I was wondering because the most restrictive part seems to be is where the air is first coming in. aka the rectangular tubing that pulls air from outside the engine bay.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:32 AM

i mean something like this.

wow cardomain is being
Old 12-11-2004, 10:29 AM

"...the most restrictive part seems to be is where the air is first coming in."
True at least in Maxima J30.
No need to cut engine bay - except if u insist in the useless CAI.

Car is like an complicated instrument. Intake is just one part of a system. Typically stock intakes are restrictive - whatever is done to help air intake -up to a certain limit-, will help burn more gas and rubber...
Valve openings is one of the limiting parts, exhaust system etc...

World is full how to build more horsepower with this and that shiny sy$tem. But nobody comes rich with the 'poor man' mods freeing the waiting idle horses under the stock hood - so info is not much available or appreciated. Typically to high volume production stock engines can be added some 20% more just by handicraft under the hood, without expensive parts. I remember one (was it vette?) tuner added 25% horsepower just by building and tuning his exhaust pipe...

My grazy hobby is just to have a reliable -noextracosts- car without sleeping horses.