3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Window Broken, stereo gone

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Window Broken, stereo gone

I had my 91 Maxima SE broken into and the subs, amp, and face plate to my deck stolen. To top it all off, the *!*%$# broke my rear passenger side window so that it won't operate. They didn't break the glass, they just forced it down. Now the power window won't operate. It slides up and down freely. I took the door panel off and can't really tell what is broken. It is still on the track. I am sure this has happened to someone else (I'm sad to say), but am looking for some guidance on how to fix it.

Thanks a lot
Pax
Old 12-15-2004, 05:02 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Sorry about the loss. Thieves suck. Anyway, I would bet they broke the cable and/or the gearing on your window regulator. There are instructions in the FAQ thread on how to repair. Good luck. Was the stereo a stealth install?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:58 AM

Window Regulator

Hi..I own a 91 Maxima SE and while I am not all that car savvy, I think that your window problem sounds like the regulator.

I just had to replace the power window regulator in my maxima a few months ago. Granted, my car was not broken into and the window was not forced down (I'm sorry to hear about your loss(es) by the way). However, one day I rolled the right front passenger window up and "CRACK!" went a loud noise. I thought maybe it was the deflectors my boyfriend just put on cracking due to improper installation (he's no professional), but it turned out to be my regulator. Before I knew what it was, I then rolled the window down after that noise...which worked fine UNTIL I tried rolling it back up...it didn't move!! Then as I was driving, the window slowly crept all the way down (open). I parked my car and tried to roll up the window again by the power button (to no avail). Then my boyfriend took the door panel off and looked around - nothing apparent that was wrong, the window was still in track and everything. He then moved the window back up into place (closing it) and it moved freely...nothing holding it down. But then again of course the window would slowly creep down because nothing was holding it up either.

Turns out the cable in my regulator snapped (thus the loud cracking sound) and when I tried rolling it back down, the cable on the regulator got entangled with itself.

I bought a new regulator at my local Auto Zone for about $30.00 (without the motor - it was still good) and my boyfriend replaced the regulator within 15 minutes...(which was very fast considering he never did that kind of job before). Window works like a charm now!
Old 12-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am a newbie to the site, and I know this is a dumb question, but where do I find this FAQ thread?

Thanks for helping a newbie
Old 12-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Way out West

In the things that say "sticky" there is one that says "FAQs and performance modifications" or something like that. Craig Brace's site is really good in the "how to" section.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Apple Pie Monster

common prob bout the regulators, courtesy nissan has the revised regulators so they say....and good deals for a factory part. Give em a call and ask for Kaleb in parts (800)527-1909...........Not spamming just trying to help out a newb, besides kalebs prolly bored off his **** beggin for someone with a max to call him.