3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

is my max worth keeping? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 11:44 AM

is my max worth keeping? (long)

I have a thread about some of these issues but I want to put them all in one thread and see if its worth keeping or not.

my max is an 89 se with 213k on it. I am going to list all of the problems that need to be addressed with it and tell me if you think it will be worth fixing or not. I dont want to put all this money into this car just to have to keep putting lots of money back into it again.

1. heater core is bad and Im going to have to replace that

2. oil leak somewhere / if my car has been parked for a few hours and I get in it and take off fast it will smoke for a few minutes.

3. needs new timing belt and pully (if I do that I will have the dealer fix that for me at about $450 for all of it)

4. something is wrong with the breaks. when I stop it feels like they will grab and then let go , grab and let go, ext till Im stopped. I looked at my front discs and pads and they look good. I cant get my rear wheels off so I can check the drums.

5. the rear wheel wells have rusted through in several spots. I had the filler neck recall done and the dealer had me sign papers saying that they fixed them. they were waiting for someone to come down to look at the rust to see if it needed fixed or not (it did) I moved out of state and the new dealer is showing that my recall was already done and they cant do anything about it now b/c I signed that paper.

6. speedo will go out I would say about 1 time out of 10 times when I start my car. it will go all the way to 120mph and after driving 5 to 10 min it will work fine again.

7. no ac. dont know if it just needs recharged or if its got a bad leak.

8. even thoug its a nissan it still has 213k on it.

how long do you think this car will last me if I fix all of these problems? do you think I should trade it in on another car or is it going to be worth it to fix this stuff?

Thanks for all your help!
Nathan
Old 12-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

time to sell it...the thing that tossed the red flag is the rusting problem.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Trade it in or give them some extra money to take it.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:47 PM

If you are going to get rid of the car and you can use a tax donation, do so before the end of the year when the tax laws change and you wont be getting a deduction for the book value of the car but for what the charity is able to get for the car when they sell it, which is prob what it is really worth (much less than book value). So take advantage of the law before they close that loophole.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Vadim-93GXE

alpicone is right. Use it to get the tax deduction. For the money you would spend fixing the car you can get a newer 3rd gen with less mileage and less problems. Or if you have a place to keep an extra car, you can use your old car for spare parts. Your choice.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:03 PM

I also forgot to say that I am prob going to have to replace all of my rubber gas lines because I smell a very strong gas smell under the hood when I start it up and if I fill my car all the way up the gas that goes into my return line all drains out
Old 12-20-2004, 03:38 PM

Tax deduction.

Everything you've listed will run you about $3-4000 *AT LEAST*, if you do it all at a shop or dealer. And you haven't even described how good the paint on it is, or what shape the interior is in, let alone if everything inside works (which it obviously does not). A dealer will maybe give you a few hundred at best as a trade-in allowance. I used to own an 87 Max SE 5spd and I was lucky to get $1000 out of it from a dealer because it was still in great shape. A few hundred will not affect the monthly payment on a car you may buy from a dealer.

It's best that you get a tax deduction for it...you'll see more immediate benefit that way.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:34 PM

the interior is in good shape but it needs a new paint job for sure. everything that I listed was just the stuff that I will need to fix for it to be dependable and run good. its going to need a new hood, looks like someone hit it with a ball bat or something while it was open. a new drivers side head light, some kit with a bb gun shot it. and its going to need a new trunk lid and passengers side tail light, looks like the same bat hit the trunk and tail light, no damage to the bumper thats why I think it was hit with a ball bat.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:49 PM

just give it a proper burial.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:09 PM
mod or sell?

put it with the GXE that I looked at earlier, the strut tower had rusted out.
and it was missing it's radio.
keypads still worked though.