3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need immediate help...steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:56 PM

Need immediate help...steering

hey guys, today i was coming home and it had been snowing all day so i was turning going about 10 mph and skidded a bit, didn;t hit anything but when i backed up and kept goin my wheel had become very very tight and hard to turn, if i just turn the wheel a small amount it feels fine, it's when i turn it alot that it is very very tight, but when i skidded i felt nothing break and heard no noise, any idea what the deal is with that? If i were going to try to explain how it felt i woudl say my steering fluid feels like it froze and i have lost power steering, oh it also feels normal when i back up. help please
Old 12-20-2004, 09:05 PM

Check and see if you have snow boogers in ur wheel wells. Snow boogers= kicked up snow that starts accumilating in the wheel wells and starts rubbing the wheels after a while, they can get pretty big and they start affecting the steering. happened to me today also, im down in CT.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:09 PM

i couldn't see that well but i didn't feel much snow under there, i dunno, should i go to the car wash and just blast under there with the warm water, any ideas what else it could be?
Old 12-21-2004, 01:59 AM
Vadim-93GXE

You said you lost steering fluid? Maybe your a bit low. Or maybe you just got alot of snow under there. After the snow melts maybe it will go away.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:48 AM

no the fluid level is fine and i see no leaks, im hoping its snow. Its supposed to be below freezing tommorow so i think i'll head to the car wash and see if i can't blast some of it out from under there with the pressure hose.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:08 AM
mod or sell?

if it's going to be freezing, I don't recommend using water to remove the snow.
just knock off the big chunks with a snow brush.