3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

i am getting sick of this crap

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 02:56 PM

first i need $350 worth of tires, then bulbs start burning out, then my battery ddies , and now i think my friggin' alternator is going out. god d@mnit i need a newer car. oh yeah and i'm sick of getting road killed my anything and everything. my car feels slower and slower every day. d@mn automatic transmissions!
Old 04-22-2001, 03:04 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Yup, it sucks....

but as with all older cars...HEAVIER manitenance and playing close attention to all mecahanical aspects is A MUST. unfortunately its not all about modding and looking good, gotta keep these 'ole SOB's running too! It seems the stuff that you need to get done is moderate stuff though other than the alternator maybe...
as for the dissapointment in your cars performance, can't help you there, but just a suggestion you might wanna get some performance mods first before you count your car out!

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
first i need $350 worth of tires, then bulbs start burning out, then my battery ddies , and now i think my friggin' alternator is going out. god d@mnit i need a newer car. oh yeah and i'm sick of getting road killed my anything and everything. my car feels slower and slower every day. d@mn automatic transmissions!
Old 04-22-2001, 03:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get yourself some suspension mods. My car may not be the fastest thing on the road, but at least it handles. Besides, you get what you pay for!

F.Y.I - you aren't doing to bad. Below is a list of what I have repaired/upgraded on my Max.

battery & terminal posts
alternator
water pump
thermostat
tensioner
timing belt
cam shaft seals
front main oil seal
front rotors, pads, and lines
rear pads and lines
tires
two new front rims (old ones bent)
power steering gear boots
antenna
headlights
radiator hoses
oil
tranny fluid
brake fluid
coolant
tranny cooler
struts and springs
front strut bar

Finally, I don't get mad about my car's lack of speed. If I wanted a faster car, I would have gotten one. I just needed a reliable daily driver. The fact the Max is such good shape and handles decently is a bonus. It could always be worse: think Geo Metro baby!
Old 04-22-2001, 03:17 PM

yeah..

yeah i know mods will help but i can't mod it with dough going towards ****e like tires and friggin' alternators(i'm still ****ed about that one) i really want like a 94 se with the ve and a 5-speed i like the 3rd gens looks better than 4th's.
Old 04-22-2001, 03:22 PM

Re: yeah..

yeah i know mods will help but i can't mod it with dough going towards ****e like tires and friggin' alternators(i'm still ****ed about that one) i really want like a 94 se with the ve and a 5-speed i like the 3rd gens looks better than 4th's.
I know. Me too. Not trying to sound like a preachy ashole, but I just try to be happy with what I have. Who knows, if you had a 94 SE, then you would be wanting a '01 SE!
Old 04-22-2001, 04:33 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Dude...

Be happy, it's not that bad.... These cars aren't the most reliable cars but they are very good.. The engine's are awsome and you can't beat the styling..
tires and battery can be considered regular wear... You will have to replace them on any 10 year old car eventually....

Mine is a 93 and I replaced:

Brake pads
battery
boots
O2 sensor
spark plugs
air filter
fuel filter
and the grand daddy of them all:
Rebuilt auto transmission...

Be glad you still have an auto tranny... my car feels like **** too, I don't race anyone, I get 12 miles per gallon and fill up every 3 days... I have been attempting to determine the problem for the longest and no luck yet, I have a fuel pressure regulator in the mail and planning on cleaning checking and cleaning injectors and replacing the catalytic convertier because I failed the emissions inspection......

Cars are getting old, more stuff breaks down with just wear... It's not the case in all cars, who would have figured that my dad's POS 1987 Mercury Sable which has 130k on it would not have one thing replaced on it in the last 7 years, except the water pump I think... that's it.. my dad only changed the oil in it 3 or 4 times in the last 30k miles... lol.... it's still going

It's easier and cheaper to replace the stuff u need to right now, then buying a newer car! If you fix them now, you can be sure those things won't go bad for a while...
Old 04-22-2001, 05:08 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Heres my list of repairs...

-1 tranny -$2000 (it then broke 2 more times, but both were under warranty)
-1 alternator-$(forgot the price)
-1 window regulator and install $70
-timing belt, water pump and all gaskets- about $1k(damn Nissan dealer )
-4 tires-$400 (got ripped on those )
-burned lighting harness and swith-$120(previous owner **** -up, NOT because of high watt bulbs)

theres probably some other stuff I forgot, so lets say about $3.5-4k in maintence/repairs, but know everything is looking up, just gotta get a front end alingnment and an O2 sensor and its time to mod for this summer! *KNOCKS ON WOOD*
Old 04-22-2001, 05:29 PM

Just another note of sympathy

My car goes in the shop Tuesday for a new water pump and crankshaft oil seal. They're putting another set of Stillen brake pads on for me too. The good news is while they're doing the oil seal they are putting my UDP on for me. Also getting the 90K tuneup done. Who knows what this bill will be.
I also had my automagic tranny rebuilt about 15 months ago. Another $2K. We've been there dude.
Old 04-22-2001, 08:14 PM

Re: Dude...

It's not the case in all cars, who would have figured that my dad's POS 1987 Mercury Sable which has 130k on it would not have one thing replaced on it in the last 7 years, except the water pump I think... that's it.. my dad only changed the oil in it 3 or 4 times in the last 30k miles... lol.... it's still going

A good friend of mine drives a 1991 Ford Explorer with over 158k miles on it. That car just won't die. He hasn't had to replace ANYTHING since he has owned it. Just the battery and an occasional tire. Unbelievable...
Old 04-22-2001, 08:24 PM

Hey man... if you don't like the car any more and you think you are having too many problems with it simply SELL IT. But be warned... the grass isn't always greener on the other side...
Old 04-22-2001, 09:07 PM

i bought my max for 5500 with 108k, ive put on 10k since august and about 3g's worth of maintenance ranging from the timing belt, water pump, roters drums, exhaust manifold, y pipe, alternator and other things. ive also put in about 800 in making her look and drive a bit better. there have been times when i felt like shooting myself cuz sumthin was always breaking. but once uve done the maintenance and for that 5 min that it actually all works right, i wouldnt want ne other car. my mom got a 98 with about 30 more hp but my car in my opinion is more fun to drive. sweet engine and u can just throw her around. just think of all the money u spend on ur car so far, and how much more ur gonna hafta to spend fixing up ur next car. i dunno bout u guys but all my complaints stop when i punch it at her sweet spot and she just flies
Old 04-22-2001, 09:13 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

So true, so true!!!

I couldn't have said it better!!

Originally posted by mymax93
there have been times when i felt like shooting myself cuz sumthin was always breaking. but once uve done the maintenance and for that 5 min that it actually all works right, i wouldnt want ne other car.....i dunno bout u guys but all my complaints stop when i punch it at her sweet spot and she just flies