3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Ready to dive into performance upgades.... (Kinda Long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 09:34 PM

I had an epiphany of sorts this afternoon and decided to go ahead and make some major investments into some sizeable perf. upgrades next month, so I wanted to spend a few weeks educating myself on the options....thus I come to you guys. First I have a list of things that I would like to do, but am not sure which manufacturer, the cost, or performance gain I can get from each.
1) Repair the VTC ticking.....I've read that broken VTCs can cause a loss in low end power, so I am going to go ahead and take the plunge and replace/repair these. Not only will it hopefully restore power, it will be alot less embarassing.
2) Conical air filter......I've heard these referred to as "popchargers". How much gain in hp/torque do they provide? Also, who makes the best ones and how much in price?
3) CAI (cold air intake)....From what I know, these increase the airflow, but my concern is that they make a great deal of noise. Is this true? I am strictly opposed to something that is going to make my car sound like a Viper wannabe or a high strung CRX. If the noise is acceptable, who makes the best and how much?
4) Hi-perf. catalytic convertor....I'm also concerned here about noise as well. Alas, what kind of gains can I expect from a good brand?
5) "Y-Pipe".....Now I am very clueless as far as exhaust systems go. What gains will this give? Also, does this include a muffler; because if it does it will have to have a VERY recessed sound close to OEM for me.
6) Advanced Timing.....A freebie I can do myself. I run 93 premium all of the time anyway, so why not?
As you can tell, I'm pretty clueless about the specifics of these upgrades. Theoretically, all of the together, what can of gain in performance can I expect? Also, since it will be about a month or so, any links to info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-22-2001, 09:47 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

oh boy, its search time!!
Old 04-22-2001, 09:54 PM
Spaz

Do some searches

As I said in another post bad VTCs only hurt HIGH end. Do some searching on the board for exhaust stuff. And our timing is electronically controlled, although rumor has it that if you move the crank angle sensor that might do it.

Old 04-22-2001, 09:55 PM

1. Most people don't repair the VTC, they just disconnect them. From what I understand repairing them costs a pretty penny and it doesn't mean they won't fail again.
2. Popchargers will typically give about 5-7 HP, but beware if you live in a hot climate. The popcharger draws air in from the engine bay and when it gets hot it actually decreases performance. In my opinion go for the CAI right away.
3. Many people have been very pleased with the sound of the CAI and have a tendency to floor it just to hear the rush of the air coming in. I have heard nothing about the CAI sounding cheap or unperformance like.
4. www.warpspeedperformance.com sells high performance catalytic converters and I would buy the whole exhaust set.
5. The stock Y-pipe is very restrictive and a Y-pipe from www.warpspeedperformance.com or www.cattman.com will give a noticable 10-15 HP gain. When combined with the CAI, it is even better and HP gains are near 20 HP. A muffler is not included but you will need a decent muffler to keep the restricted airflow at a minimum. Others can comment on the type of muffler you want.
6. Advanced timing is a great idea. Stock timing is 15 and most people increase it to 20.

Links:
www.maximadriver.com
www.courtesyparts.com
www.clubmaxima.com
www.southwestautoworks.com
Old 04-22-2001, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the quick and prompt advise. I'm sure I'll be up all night researching those links. Can I use a popcharger with the CAI? Or will it still just draw in hot air? I live in NW Alabama so it is very hot during the summer.
Old 04-22-2001, 10:19 PM

I would check out a muffler off a 2K Maxima. I think thats what Im going to put on my 3rd Gen. Check out Nissan's website, I think they expalin how it works pretty good.
Old 04-22-2001, 11:32 PM

Cincy, you are so informative
Old 04-22-2001, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Maximus1000
Thanks for the quick and prompt advise. I'm sure I'll be up all night researching those links. Can I use a popcharger with the CAI? Or will it still just draw in hot air? I live in NW Alabama so it is very hot during the summer.
You wouldn't want a popcharger with the CAI, the CAI, or cold air intake, draws from the fender well, and it draws cool air, not the hot air from the engine. The CAI does have a conical air filter on the end in the fender well. It's late, so if this doesnt make any sense, letm e know, i'm sure soembody or myself will be able to help you out.

also, what year max do you have, i might have a CAI for sale for a SE model max
Old 04-23-2001, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by ngthing
Cincy, you are so informative
I'm trying to become a third gen super power like Matt or Craig. It should only take me about 5 more years to reach that status.
Old 04-23-2001, 08:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Cincy94Max

I'm trying to become a third gen super power like Matt or Craig. It should only take me about 5 more years to reach that status.
wow, I'm a superpower
thanks

you're on your way to becoming the next one; I'm sure you'll be there by the end of the week
Old 04-23-2001, 02:13 PM

Alot of good advise. By the way, I took my car to the dealer for an oil change this morning and also had them check it out due to really sluggish take off. They replaced the EGR and now I am actually able to chirp the tires from a stop. Whoohhooo!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2001, 08:08 PM

I still have lots to learn...

Alot of good advise. By the way, I took my car to the dealer for an oil change this morning and also had them check it out due to really sluggish take off. They replaced the EGR and now I am actually able to chirp the tires from a stop. Whoohhooo!!!!!!
What's an EGR?
Old 04-23-2001, 09:19 PM

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Bascially it is just part of the emmissions system. I'm not sure of the exact details but it was either stuck open or closed and thus prevented the engine from revving up at low speeds.
Old 04-23-2001, 10:46 PM

Hmmm... if you look in the FSM....

The VTCs engage at lower rpm to boost power, so when they are not functioning or when they are disabled you will lose dome low end power. Its not noticeable at all. To make up the power advance the timing 5 degrees (premium fuel only). If you get the Jim Wolf ECU be sure to put the timing back to normal!!!
Old 04-24-2001, 08:47 AM

ngthing

also, what year max do you have, i might have a CAI for sale for a SE model max, .........how much , if maximus1000 doesnt want it i might..will it fit my ve
Old 04-24-2001, 09:05 AM

Re: ngthing

Originally posted by 93 SE
also, what year max do you have, i might have a CAI for sale for a SE model max, .........how much , if maximus1000 doesnt want it i might..will it fit my ve
Ngthing,

I have a 92 SE automatic. I would deffinitely be interested in your CAI. Send me an e-mail, lets talk.

As far as the computer chip goes, what does it do other than automatically advance your timing (I can do that myself)?
Old 04-24-2001, 05:49 PM

Re: Re: ngthing

As far as the computer chip goes, what does it do other than automatically advance your timing (I can do that myself)?
From what I understand it remaps the fuel chart (this I suppose means to the amount of fuel injected and the timing, et cetera) and it changes the transmission shift points. I'm not positive about what all it does, but I know that it should be your last mod. Only with other mods(Y-pipe, CAI, BOOST) is the upgraded ECU recommended. Here is a quote from www.cattman.com :
"Big boost in hp/torque up to about 5k rpm, removes speed limiter, raises rev limiter from 6.5k to 7.0k. Reprogramming on daughterboard."

I would suggest contacting Mr. Cattman as he can explain in detail the various performance mods that are available for our cars. He has always been courteous to me and he will answer any questions you have.
Old 04-24-2001, 06:52 PM

I wasn't aware that our cars had speed limiters. I've had mine to close to 130. I like the idea of raising the rev limiter though. Can anyone give any info on the difference in numbers between a bone stock Maxima (92 SE auto) and one with a computer chip, complete exhaust sytem, and Cold Air Intake.
Old 04-25-2001, 07:41 PM
91 BlackSE5spd

I also wasn't aware that maximas have speed limiters, I have a 91 SE 5spd with a 125 mph speedo that I broke from winding it out too far.

Old 04-26-2001, 07:57 AM

Re:Speed limiter

The VE30DE motor has a limiter at 130mph. I believe the Cattman, Wolf and Jet ECU upgrades all eliminate the speed limiter. I have the JWT ECU which adds about 15-18hp if the air is not too hot. I also have a Stillen pop charger intake with a K&N filter and a Greddy cat-back exhaust. It should total about 25-30hp at the flywheel, but it seems like the auto tranny eats up half of it unfortunately. My 2001 is going to be a manual!
Just picked up my car from having the ASP Racing UDP (under-drive pulley) installed. Makes the car rev much easier and freer. Doesn't feel like it's going up hill anymore. The tach just takes off when you stomp on it! Vroom!
Old 04-26-2001, 06:47 PM

What exactly does the underdrive pulley do? Who sells them and for how much? I did a 0-60 test this afternoon and by my own stopwatch I got 8.64 seconds. Is it possible to get that figure under 8 seconds with a full exhaust system, CAI, and JWT chip?