3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Automatic Transmission Shifter Bushing & Cable Wear..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2000, 01:26 PM

Many peopel with 3rd gen Maximas have mentioned the wearing of the tranny shifter bushing which will make shifts from park into drive hard sometimes( car will bearly move because its in 3rd gear, and then suddenly and abruptly jump into drive when given gas). The Bushing is a few bucks and labor is about an hours worth. I have to say that i had all of that replaced on my car, and i still have the same difficulty. the only thing different is that you feel the "newness" of shifter feel. The dealer service advisor told me that the linkage had been properly djusted, and that my problem was most likely the cable that goes to the transmission. But recently ive discovered a fix that may or may not last long. When shifting into drive from park, if i ease onto the gas pedal rather than giving it moderate throttle, it almost always goes into drive as if it always was without any abrupt shifting!
Old 08-23-2000, 01:51 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by LarryR
Many peopel with 3rd gen Maximas have mentioned the wearing of the tranny shifter bushing which will make shifts from park into drive hard sometimes( car will bearly move because its in 3rd gear, and then suddenly and abruptly jump into drive when given gas). The Bushing is a few bucks and labor is about an hours worth. I have to say that i had all of that replaced on my car, and i still have the same difficulty. the only thing different is that you feel the "newness" of shifter feel. The dealer service advisor told me that the linkage had been properly djusted, and that my problem was most likely the cable that goes to the transmission. But recently ive discovered a fix that may or may not last long. When shifting into drive from park, if i ease onto the gas pedal rather than giving it moderate throttle, it almost always goes into drive as if it always was without any abrupt shifting!
that kinda sounds like a slipping tranny..anyone else?
Dan
Old 08-23-2000, 03:07 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

ummm if the changing the bushing didn't fix your problem then i agree with danNy and say that the tranny is slipping...

also i dont quite understand your methods of shifting from P to D or wahtever....you shouldn't have to apply gas to have the gears engage correctly..
Old 08-23-2000, 03:28 PM

I have had that same problem, got bushings replaced and still have that problem if i park on an incline without using the parking brake. However, if i use that parking brake it shifts fine.