3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

insulation..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005 | 10:27 PM
blacks92seAuto

insulation..

I know this is like this worse time of year for this, but anyways. I am going to be getting some insulation wrap for my exhaust. I had my AC receiver/dryer replaced and the system refilled and my a/c didn't blow as cold as I would of liked it last summer...so. I figure if I wrap my exhause up, supposively it reduces up to 70% of the heat from it. The heat from the exhaust is right by the a/c condenser...heating up the just fresh cold air before it gets to the cabin... I am also going to insulate my a/c line from condenser to cabin so that it also keeps the cold in and heat out. My problem is...what should I use on my A/C line to keep the a/c inside the insulation cold, and help keep heat from reaching it? Do they sell stuff for this at automotive stores just like they do for exhaust wrap?
Old 01-02-2005 | 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by blacks92seAuto
I know this is like this worse time of year for this, but anyways. I am going to be getting some insulation wrap for my exhaust. I had my AC receiver/dryer replaced and the system refilled and my a/c didn't blow as cold as I would of liked it last summer...so. I figure if I wrap my exhause up, supposively it reduces up to 70% of the heat from it. The heat from the exhaust is right by the a/c condenser...heating up the just fresh cold air before it gets to the cabin... I am also going to insulate my a/c line from condenser to cabin so that it also keeps the cold in and heat out. My problem is...what should I use on my A/C line to keep the a/c inside the insulation cold, and help keep heat from reaching it? Do they sell stuff for this at automotive stores just like they do for exhaust wrap?
Air to cabin comes near the windshield. There should be a seal in that end of hood...

AC tube insulation is enough to get cool. Use whatever available, must do tie wraps to secure on. U can ? buy pipe insulation foam from plastics or pipe sellin shops. I wrapped spare plush garment strips and works fine. See how my car is insulated...
Old 01-03-2005 | 03:01 PM
blacks92seAuto

I just bought some exxhaust wrap, and some stuff that is actually made for insulating a/c lines. Its like 1/16" thick, black, and looks kinda like tar but its not really sticky. One side sticks really well, and you can mold it around the piping. I did just the part of the tube in the front by the a/c compressor. It looks like it is going to insulate it very well. Now just for spring to come around.........