General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

To those of you with SPRING NOISE, CLUNKING, and Weapon R coilovers or others...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 08:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

To those of you with SPRING NOISE, CLUNKING, and Weapon R coilovers or others...

I have Weapon R coilovers with Koni Yellow struts and I have so much clunking and grinding and banging it isnt even funny.

I am going to home depot to buy 1/2" vinyl tubing, to nissan to buy strut bearings and spacers, and I am taking apart my entire suspension and cleaning it all thoroughly!!

I am aiming at reducing or getting rid of all noise with all this replacing and insulation.. the reason I am posting this is that if anyone is experiencing these things with their suspension I will let you guys know how it all turns out.

If anyone has any other suggestions or ideas to reduce the clunking on turns or bumps besides spring wrap and replacing the bearings let me know, i hate having my car sound like its falling apart... plus this gives me a reason to lower my car back down a little more for the show this saturday..
Old 04-03-2002, 08:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what happened to the bags?
Old 04-03-2002, 08:47 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I don't think you'll ever get around the sounds of clunks and bangs. The problem is with the coilovers. Read all the coilover posts and you'll see that almost everyone's coilovers make noise. Seriously, you pay for what you get. Sleeve type coilovers are more for show than handling. Sleeve type coilovers will make a lot of noise because they are poorly engineered and most times you have to modify the car's suspension to fit their "one size fits all" engineering. There are too many moving and sliding parts to get everything to seat and turn right. Sleeve type coilovers also reduce suspension travel so much that handling and the ride go to hell. The only coilovers that perform and won't make noise are car specific coilovers that have shortened and threaded struts where the collars are engineered for the strut.

Dave
Old 04-03-2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
what happened to the bags?
no kidding?!?!?
Old 04-03-2002, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
no kidding?!?!?
i was not happy with the kit so i sold it and i am awaiting a new kit or a custom setup.

dave - it seems thought that all my noise from driving straight is just metal to metal contact and that insulating the spring so that it has something to stop metal to metal contact that should prevent grinding or clanking noises. i do understand that at turns it will clunk because of what you said about the sleeves and companies being cheap!! the front strut bearings have nothing to do with noise?
Old 04-03-2002, 09:02 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Inspect the bearing. If they don't look cut up then don't replace them. Grease them up a little. Put insulation over the top two coils and the bottom coil. I've noticed much of my "clanking" was coming from my two upper coils rubbing each other on my Intrax springs. I could actually see wear marks on the springs. I'd assume your springs will have wear marks too. Focus on those.

Dave
Old 04-03-2002, 09:06 PM

is there anything else that i can put under the last coil of the spring, on the lower end?? so that it rotates on something other then that metal cup?

yeah i had intrax and actually never had a problem, but my friend cut his intrax (2 coils off front and has noise now)... i can see A LOT of wear on the upper part where the spring touches and some on the bottom.. wrapping the top 2 coils and bottom coils should help a lot