3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Question for CraigB

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Question for CraigB

First of all, I would like to say that your site rocks and so is your ride.

Now to my question, is it possible for me to do a digidash swap with my mechanical one granted that I have the control unit, and digi gauges? will the wires pretty much plug and play i.e.(color matching),

or does the digi dash comes with extra sets of wires that uses a different ECU and a different speed sensor?

I don't mind tapping into my electrical looms, but need to know before hand so that I can estimate my cost and to know the quirks and got chas if there is any. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:38 AM

thanks

yes, it is possible
no, it's definitely plug and play or matching of the same colors

If you follow the wiring on my HUD page, that'll give you an idea of some of the wiring that will be involved. You'll also need the other harnesses that go into the back of the stock digital gauges (I left them off since they're for idiot lights and stuff like that). Someone else did the full dash swap not long after I did just the HUD. I think he said he was having issues with the gas gauge though and maybe that sender is different.
I dont really have time right now to write up the full swap (you saw how long it took for just the HUD part), but I can send you diagrams of the analog and digital dash schematics so you can compare them and then you can just match up the wire colors for the idiot lights, gas guauge, temp sensor, blinkers, etc. - just give me your email address and I can send those to you.

I assume you've found a junkyard with a digital-dash maxima, right? If you were to try to buy these parts from Nissan, it'd be WAY too much. From the junkyard you'll need the HUD trim piece, HUD projector, the whole digital gauge cluster assembly along with all the harnesses that plug into it (cut them about 6 inches back from the connector if you can), and possibly the fuel tank level sensor.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:06 PM

yeah, I found a junkyard with 4 maximas in them, 3 had digital everything with one that even had sonar suspension. Guess I'll be parts pulling for weeks to come, as the funds allow. Then again, I might just stick with my mechanical, kinda like the way of how it looks.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by disgruntled
yeah, I found a junkyard with 4 maximas in them, 3 had digital everything with one that even had sonar suspension. Guess I'll be parts pulling for weeks to come, as the funds allow. Then again, I might just stick with my mechanical, kinda like the way of how it looks.

once u have money to spend and buy the HUD system go ahead and get the whole system out of all those maximas that has them and then sell them on here. i already have one complete and a second HUD projector but also need the control unit and harnesses to have a second one.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by disgruntled

will you find out how much they want for the HUD and control unit for it please. I want to do the HUD install but there are no units around here.

Thanks,

You can email me by clicking my name in my sig.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:55 PM

There was a guy that did the entire swap and he got it working. If I remeber he said the only thing that wouldn't work was the fuel gauge. He stated that he found out that the digital Dash can only use the sending unit from a 89-91 b/c if you used the sending unit from an 92-94 the fuel level won't read properly.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:23 AM

not a problem for me then, mine is a 90

VG rulezzzzzzzzz

let me find out the price for you guys, it would be such a waste to see all those digidash going to waste, they are in prestine condition, not even a scratch on the gauges faces, and sorry, I will not be pulling parts for anyone since I hate the "dibs" **** and then never buy, too much trouble, I will just give you guys the phone number of the place, and you can call them yourself, btw, this guy sells the cheapest in all the junkyards that I've been through, its closing down soon though,
Old 01-06-2005, 05:11 PM

Yea Im the one that swapped it in. 89-91 maxima's with "DIGITAL CLUSTER" "ONLY" has a diiferent sending unit, all analog uses the same. I have still not swapped sending unit and 1 bar over have is empty I have ran out of gas once so far actually coming home from the CT max meet last month but if u got a chiltons or FSM u can do it just gotta cross refrence a few pages. go slow take ur time. u can lose ur spot easy. I suggest u t-tap instead of cutting off analog clips. just incase u need to swap. I also installed HUD which is hard cutting freehand under the windshield with no trace its got it close just 1/8" gap. and installed ACC also. Good Luck with the swap.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:43 PM

3rdmaxse0 - so you don't actually have a write up on what you connected to what?
Old 01-07-2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
will you find out how much they want for the HUD and control unit for it please. I want to do the HUD install but there are no units around here.

Thanks,

You can email me by clicking my name in my sig.

Mike i can help u out man. i will go tomorrow to the junkyard and try to find the control unit and the harnesses but i already have the HUD projector and trim piece so if ur interested let me know.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
Mike i can help u out man. i will go tomorrow to the junkyard and try to find the control unit and the harnesses but i already have the HUD projector and trim piece so if ur interested let me know.
yup interested...

email me if you find it all and let me know a price.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 09:10 AM

well I just used my chiltons and that and my FSM is at my friends house but if I grab either book I can make a write up. and another idea I was trying was putting the tinted cover for the digi cluster over the analog it'll fit but break off all clips and be wedged between dashboard and cluster and need very brite lights to see cluster during day.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
yup interested...

email me if you find it all and let me know a price.

Thanks

well i went back today and i still couldn't find the control unit but will still search and let u know about it. as for the pricing i'll let u decide on that