3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anyone in MA who owns a 91 Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 06:31 PM

Just wondering if any of you guys had an issue with the so-called broken manifold studs. Have any of you guys had any problem getting an inspection sticker? I have a 91 Maxima SE with 75k miles on it. The car runs smooth and quiet. The only time I hear this ticking sound is when drive off with the engine cold. After a minute or 2 the ticking permanently goes away.

I brought it in to a Nissan dealer in Beverly for L.O.F., tune-up, and an inspection sticker. Guess what? The tech said that he cannot issue a sticker unless the manifold studs were replaced. Right. (He discovered the ticking when he drove the car into an empty bay after it had been on the lot for a while). The tech also pointed out to me some exhaust marks on the manifold next to a broken stud. I thought that the emission tests were supposed to be done on a warmed up engine? No? Is this something that needs replacing immediately? I know that Pathfinders are notorious with regards to the manifold and manifold studs.

Anyway, the tech hasn't issued a failed sticker yet. Any suggestions?

Much thanks.
Old 04-23-2001, 07:29 PM

91 SE in MA.

I live in Marlborough, and I have 1 or 2 broken studs also. My advice to you is NOT go to back to that dealer for an inspection. The mechanic there knows about the common exhaust stud problem and might try to get the $$ out of you for his service dept. At the same time, that may not be the case. If your problem is noticeably(sp?) bad, then he may be right. But, I also think that if you drive the car for a while, make sure the engine is warmed up and go to a small shop for an inspection, you should turn out fine. They may not see it as a necessity as the Nissan Dealership would. Also, they inspect your car while it idling. In my car, I can only hear the tapping when accelerating. Do you hear it when its idling? Thats my opinion, but like I said, you may need to do it anyway, I know I will have to eventually, but If its not a major problem, then you may be able to hold off for a while until you have the $$. I went to a mechanic in Weston, and they checked everything out fine. Get a second opinion first though okay? By the way, are you going to the meet this Saturday in Framingham? WE can definitely help you out there if we meet up. Let me know bro. Peace out.
Old 04-24-2001, 04:15 AM

Re: 91 SE in MA.

Hey, thanks for the response. I am just curious what prices have you come up with for a job like this? The Nissan tech priced it at $900 to replace all studs for the front and rear manifolds, including the gaskets at both ends of each manifold, and replace a broken cat hanger.

I have posted here a few weeks ago and the consensus was around $600 but I believe the responses were from guys who were not from New England. Is the $900 reasonable here in Massachusetts?

As for the meet in Framingham, I am not sure yet if I could make it. I will need to get the inspection done before the end of this month and waiting till then might be cutting it too close. We'll see.

Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2001, 04:24 AM

Hmm. Where is the meet again?

Is the meet in Framingham or Natick?
Old 04-24-2001, 03:35 PM

Actually,

I think it is in Natick. Directions are here
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=34473

Check the Northeast forum for more details. I will be there. Keep a lookout.
Old 04-24-2001, 06:18 PM

Re: Actually,

BTW, when was the last time you had your Max inspected and how did it turn out with regards to emissions tests?

The only time I hear the ticking sound is when I start the car and drive off with the engine cold. The ticking will only last for a couple of minutes. I don't notice any ticking sound during hard acceleration especially when the engine is fully warmed up. You mentioned that yours exhibited a ticking sound during acceleration that is why I was curious with regards to the inspection.