3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My 92 SE Reincarnated

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 01:52 PM
KidKeep

Hey Guys,

Remember a while back, my mechanic said the car was totalled, well the insurance company wants to pay to fix it. So the Max is getting reborn, a second chance...

Here's the links to the wrecked pics, I'll post the fixed pics ASAP

www.angelfire.com/geek/kidkeep/maxpics.html

P.S.--Sorry guys, no parts will be sold now. but look on the bright side, I've got my baby back!!!

Old 04-24-2001, 02:06 PM
I'm needing a caw

They were gonna total the car for that? It looks gnarly but the only really bad damage is the hood. The rest looks easy.

It's definately nice to get your car fixed. Doesn't look like there is any unibody damage so it will be as good as new.

But one suggestion. Clean the engine bay!
Old 04-24-2001, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Glad to hear they can fix your car. How long for the repair? Total $$$?
Old 04-24-2001, 03:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

One more thing: If you lucky it damaged your VTCs. that way you save money later!
Old 04-24-2001, 03:45 PM

jeff is right that is an easy fix. the most expensive thing is the hood. that shouldn't be much more than a 2-3K fix AT MOST. Its good to hear that not all insurance companies are retarted... just make sure that you find a good body shop to do the work.

Fro

Originally posted by KidKeep
Hey Guys,

Remember a while back, my mechanic said the car was totalled, well the insurance company wants to pay to fix it. So the Max is getting reborn, a second chance...

Here's the links to the wrecked pics, I'll post the fixed pics ASAP

www.angelfire.com/geek/kidkeep/maxpics.html

P.S.--Sorry guys, no parts will be sold now. but look on the bright side, I've got my baby back!!!
Old 04-24-2001, 04:28 PM
KidKeep

Thanks for the Responce

I haven't seen the estimate for myself yet, I've been talking with my father at home (I'm at school) and he said the total damages (parts and labor) are just below 3g's.

There was some other stuff they said was wrong, but I told them I'd take care of it. Minor stuff anyhow.

I'm going to be able to start the mod's soon. I'll have my degree and making real money. I've had the car for about 2 years now. So I'm still new to the Maxima world.

I'm open for any suggestions for cleaning the engine and anything else there.

Also, what are the VTC's? I've got no idea.

Thanks guys.

Old 04-24-2001, 05:09 PM

Re: Thanks for the Responce

VTC's = variable timing cams.

^do a search^ you should find all sorts of prior posts. if you can't find the answer you are looking for just ask and I'm sure we can find an answer for you

Fro

Originally posted by KidKeep
I haven't seen the estimate for myself yet, I've been talking with my father at home (I'm at school) and he said the total damages (parts and labor) are just below 3g's.

There was some other stuff they said was wrong, but I told them I'd take care of it. Minor stuff anyhow.

I'm going to be able to start the mod's soon. I'll have my degree and making real money. I've had the car for about 2 years now. So I'm still new to the Maxima world.

I'm open for any suggestions for cleaning the engine and anything else there.

Also, what are the VTC's? I've got no idea.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-24-2001, 08:30 PM

youve got to be joking. The car was gonna be written off just for that punitive damage. Damn, the only damage is the hood and grill. The most that repair should cost is $1500 CDN dollars. About $400 for a new oem hood, rad support can be reworked back into position, rad is apparently fine, if not, $200 for a reworked rad. and the grill, $20 bucks at most junkyards.
And then paint and labour, $500.
It could be done cheaper if you find some bodyman mechanic that does side jobs for a little extra cash.

My friend fixed my other friends 97 M3 for $1800. The damage was as follows, wrinkled hood, kinked rad support, two broken grills, cracked bumper.

After all the work and some new parts, (grills and bumper moldings)it cost 1800.
Some shops wanted $5000, in and around that price.

It pays off to learn how to do all your repairs, although it requires buying a lot of tools. Thats what Ive done so far, I do all my own work. Its my hobby.

Cheers
Old 04-24-2001, 08:36 PM
STFU n00b!

The labor is what's going to kill you on that. the radiator support is about $150-200, then the hood is about 350 new, and grille, 80.
the A/C condensor may have been damaged also. expect to pay some for that, but many are available in junkyards. I see them all the time.

expect to pay about 1500 in labor and 5-600 for paint and materials, plus the parts I mentioned earlier.
Old 04-25-2001, 01:05 AM

Great, Jeff! -- I told you that your car probably wouldn't be considered totaled! You probably are getting the parts I said you would need in my earlier e-mail to you, Jeff!

BTW, I decided to keep my Max (I posted it for sale a week and a half ago), and drive it cross country. I'm leaving this Tuesday, May 1st, and going from SF to Philadelphia, with a little stopover in Pittsburgh, to see some of my friends at school. Gotta get an oil change, my passenger power window regulator fixed, and a well needed car wash.