3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Putting it back on the road(for real, this time)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 12:09 AM

Putting it back on the road(for real, this time)

So I have a 92 Maxima SE, it's been sitting for a little while.. since October I think. Ran well when I parked it, battery has since died, I assume it will start if I jump it.

Before I get it back on the road for the rest of the winter, what should I do? I know it needs an oil change, so I'll be doing that... for inspection I need a new y-pipe and fog lights, and possibly tires.

What else? I can't find the service records right now but I don't believe a tune up has been done lately(plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc) so should I do that as well?

Also, this is pretty unimportant in relation to the other things, but I have a head unit I want to put in the car.. I have read about the bose speakers not working with different headunits, and I don't really want to get the adapter, because half of the bose speakers don't work anyway.. How can I install new speakers in these cars?

One last thing - my car is an automatic(by no choice of my own) and I'm hopig to either A. do a swap(is this feasible?) or B. sell it and buy another in 5spd flavor. What do you guys suggest? Driving an automatic just bores me.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Clowd
... battery has since died,
...and possibly tires.
...done lately(plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc)
...new speakers in these cars?
... Driving an automatic just bores me.
- Battery will die again. get new.
- Possibly? First and foremost insurance for u, possibly? ...must be kidding. Good tires in winter is a must, or jump to the bus.
- No need to do again. However, the wires are born as scumbag resistors. make new: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/12
- Take ol out first...
- Buy video game? ...or jeep from 40's and be thrilled all the time.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From experience, it is generally a bad idea to jumpstart a car with a dead battery, so I would try and get a new one, or at least "borrow" one first, however, if you still wish to try and jump it, hook the batteries up first, and let it sit there for about half an hour before even trying to crank the engine, or you'll be wondering why your engine won't start.

since the car had been sitting there for over 3 months, I would do the oil change first before even trying to make it run.

as for your tune up, when in doubt, just do it, you'll thank yourself later for that

as for head unit, by pass all bose amps, and your aftermarket head unit will work fine

how good are you with mechanical skills? if good, try the swap, if not, buy the 5spd flavor

good luck
Old 01-12-2005, 05:58 AM
mod or sell?

You have a VE motor, no cap/rotor/wires.
You can easily install new speakers by bypassing the amp and using the existing wires.

oh, and I have a RED VE5 for sale.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:21 PM

By "possibly new tires" I mean I haven't looked at mine in a while and I'm not quite sure what kind of condition they are in.. if they are bad I will get new ones, that's all..

Anyway, forgive me for not knowing much about these motors.. I inherited the car and used it for a couple of months.. never really worked on it.

My mechanical skills are decent, I do all of the work on my other car(Porsche) so I can hold my own in that department..

How much do you want for your red maxima?
Old 01-13-2005, 01:43 AM

By "possibly new tires" I mean I haven't looked at mine in a while and I'm not quite sure what kind of condition they are in.. if they are bad I will get new ones, that's all..

Anyway, forgive me for not knowing much about these motors.. I inherited the car and used it for a couple of months.. never really worked on it.

My mechanical skills are decent, I do all of the work on my other car(Porsche) so I can hold my own in that department..
Hey, Lucky Man, inheriting Maxima is no sin, so no need to ask for forgivance.

The 'problem' with inherited Maximas 'is not' its engine, the floating computer center might become with passing time... depends a lot of local conditions: air acidity/soot/salt/moist qualities. This is because just about any small 'box' continuously breathes in and out due to heat expansion/contraction = 'pumping local' air in/out with the air particles, to those device micro cavities, connectors etc... This is the case also with few year ol Porsches if filled with computers, dunno, never peeked in...
Old 01-13-2005, 05:22 AM
mod or sell?

How much do you want for your red maxima?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=367850
it's basically a best offer deal at the moment