3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Multimeter....Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 07:54 PM

Multimeter....Help

When I test the resestance of the Power Transistor, what amount of ohms should I see....the manual says it should NOT be 0 or Infinity?? Also, what setting of ohms on the meter should I use???
Old 01-14-2005, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by sara92max
When I test the resestance of the Power Transistor, what amount of ohms should I see....the manual says it should NOT be 0 or Infinity?? Also, what setting of ohms on the meter should I use???

With a multimeter u never can be sure of a transistors condition, maybe define dead one.

If (?) u trust Craptons manual, step through the selector: on some scale u should have some reading other than zero. What does it tell? dunno.

Btw. Whatsda problim?
Old 01-14-2005, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
With a multimeter u never can be sure of a transistors condition, maybe define dead one.

If (?) u trust Craptons manual, step through the selector: on some scale u should have some reading other than zero. What does it tell? dunno.

Btw. Whatsda problim?
I replaced the front head gasket because it was leaking coolant in the cylinder. I got it all back together and the engine starts just fine but the front 3 cylinders are flooding with gas..bad...so bad it is seeping out of the exhaust manifold to y-pipe connecton. I was checking the ignition system to see if I was getting power and enough spark. I have a copy of the FSM on my computer and it daid to check coils (OK),power to coils (OK 12 volts), then the Power Transistor.
The rear cylinders are firing and working just fine. I can drive the car it runs 70 MPH but the engine is missing bad and flooding the front cylinders.(Bad)
I`m at a loss here!!
Old 01-14-2005, 07:59 AM

I replaced the front head gasket because it was leaking coolant in the cylinder. I got it all back together and the engine starts just fine but the front 3 cylinders are flooding with gas..bad...so bad it is seeping out of the exhaust manifold to y-pipe connecton. I was checking the ignition system to see if I was getting power and enough spark. I have a copy of the FSM on my computer and it daid to check coils (OK),power to coils (OK 12 volts), then the Power Transistor.
The rear cylinders are firing and working just fine. I can drive the car it runs 70 MPH but the engine is missing bad and flooding the front cylinders.(Bad)
I`m at a loss here!!

I suppose the pwr transistor is common to all? If so, how come it "selects" three cylinders to fire, leaves three cold, those u just worked on... I think the transistor is ok, you never really even played with it, did u?

Do you really get spark? Check with ign adj lamp, use/build extension.
U get +12V but is Grounding ok for those three coils?
Swap the coils to tst.
Plugs ok? Recheck, Change.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:56 PM

One More Time.............

Some of you are probably sick of hearing this but to bad, I need help.........
`92 VE30DE Engine
I had to replace the front head gasket because it was leaking coolant in the cylinder. I replaced it and the engine fires right up but I have a real bad flooding problem. So bad you can acually see fuel coming out of the exhaust. (Bad) (real Bad)....when I do a power balance check, the front three cylinders are not firing...only when a race the engine...but gas still flows out of the exhaust manifold.
I have checked all the coils,transistors,and sensors and all seem OK.
Is it possible for the injectors to be squirting fuel when the exhaust valves are open? It sure seems like that is what it is doing.
Would the crank angle sensor have anything to do with this.....
Old 01-14-2005, 03:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

Try unplugging all the connectors to the front 3 injectors and start the car. Or at least put the key on "IGN" so the fuel pump activates. You should be able to get at them easy. Thank goodness it's the fronts and not the rears. If you are still flooding with gas, then you know it's not the injectors being on 100%. I actually really doubt if the injectors were on 100% duty cycle all the time, it would flow enough gas to flood the rear exhaust manifold.

But do this and report back.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:41 PM

Jeff, I unpluged the front three injectors and the engine fired right up and fuel IS STILL FLOWING OUT OF THE FRONT EXHAUST!!!!! WTF
It is running the same as before no differance. I can actually run 70MPH on three cylinders!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

Okay. You have just eliminated anything electrical in nature correct? ie.. CAS and such. So what can we conclude? Even with the injectors in the closed position, fuel still leaks all over the place. Now we will assume that there is only 1 way for fuel to get into there. ie.. fuel rail -> injectors -> combustion chamber. Well there is another way. fuel rail -> injector o-rings -> around the injector -> combustion chamber and etc...

Now pull the plugs one at a time and note if any (if not all) are wet with gas. Hopefully only 1 or 2 will be. If that is the case, then either the upper or lower O-ring has failed and is now flowing fuel around the injector and into the heads/manifolds.

Check and report back.

Jeff, I unpluged the front three injectors and the engine fired right up and fuel IS STILL FLOWING OUT OF THE FRONT EXHAUST!!!!! WTF
It is running the same as before no differance. I can actually run 70MPH on three cylinders!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:03 PM

Jeff, all 3 cylinders are gas soaked.......
Old 01-14-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm needing a caw

At this point, I'm gonna guess you are going to have to take out the injector rail and very carefully pull/pry out each injector. Install new upper/lower o-rings and put the rail back on. The insulators should be fine. I don't know if you can get the o-rings from a parts store or not. But from the dealer they are cheap. You should be able to pull the rail off w/o taking the intake manifold off. But you will have to remove the vent tube. No biggie. If you just did a headgasket, this should be a walk in the park.

Note. You must be carefull about putting the injectors back into the rail. If you pinch the 0-ring, it will cause a fuel leak again. Coat each o-ring with vaseline (light coating) and then put them on each injector. Then install the injector back into the rail. It should go on 90%. Then when you tighten down the caps, it should go in all the way. Also becarefull when increwing the injector caps off. They strip very easy. Try to break them while the rail is on the engine still. If you strip them you will have to put the rail in a vice and use some small vice grips to remove the stripped screws.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:14 PM

Jeff, believe it or not...I have a set of the upper and lower O-rings for the injectors. The only reason I did not replace them,I just pulled the whole rail out with the injectors intact. I just didnt see a need to replace the o-rings because I just left them srewed to the rail. I was going to take back the o-rings, but I quess not now.......
What about the rear injectors...the plugs look OK so,so, but not gas soaked.....how come just the front have failed?
Old 01-14-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

No specific reason. It's a why ask why thing. Don't ask questions and be thankfull it's not the rear bank!

Anyway, It's not that hard to do and it will be well worth it to try. You could be enjoying the car(or your daughter) vs being frustrated by the car. You have been wrenching on this thing for what? A week?

Jeff, believe it or not...I have a set of the upper and lower O-rings for the injectors. The only reason I did not replace them,I just pulled the whole rail out with the injectors intact. I just didnt see a need to replace the o-rings because I just left them srewed to the rail. I was going to take back the o-rings, but I quess not now.......
What about the rear injectors...the plugs look OK so,so, but not gas soaked.....how come just the front have failed?
Old 01-14-2005, 04:18 PM

6 weeks...the weather and the time to do it just wont cooperate with me....
Old 01-14-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm needing a caw

But if you would have taken my advice the 1st time, it would have been fixed. Just joking.

6 weeks...the weather and the time to do it just wont cooperate with me....
Old 01-14-2005, 04:21 PM

Oh, ya , THANK YOU!!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:25 PM

One question though, even though the injectors are unpluged and even if the o-rings are leaking, how in gas getting in that side of the intake. Is the fuel pressure forcing gas past the o-rings??
Old 01-14-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yes, as you know the fuel system is under constant pressure. The only thing holding the gas back is the injector itself (while closed) and the 2 orings that seal the injector against the fuel rail.

One question though, even though the injectors are unpluged and even if the o-rings are leaking, how in gas getting in that side of the intake. Is the fuel pressure forcing gas past the o-rings??
Old 01-14-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

Here:
http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...3d801f5140.jsp

Fuel enters the rail from the side (hence side feed). The big 0-ring prevents fuel from leaking out the top of the rail and the small one prevents fuel from leaking past the injector and into the head.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:49 PM

Damn Injectors
Old 01-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

hehe I figured this was the problem and mentioned it too because I have read it so many times on here. BUT when you said you didnt pull the injectors after I asked it seemed like the problem was elsewhere. Good luck it looks like you may be nearing the end of this mess.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:23 PM

Damn Injectors

Good. All is Well in the Land of the Living: transistors have not yet started to leak fuel...