3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

i made a solid shifter mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i made a solid shifter mount

im sure some of you have had your rubber one crack in half well i did to and ive seen how some have fixed it perticularly mr gone with sheet metal but i went 1 step firther and removed the rubber insert and welded in 2 pieces of 3/16 plate with a 1/2 bolt for a permant fix and let me tell you i love the way it shifts. it feels exactly like driving my buddys mustang with an aftermarket shifter, very percise, firm, notchy shifts and i havnt missed a shift yet either so im praying this is a cure.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:58 PM

I wondered about doing that. My only concern is that the engine has some movement(Mine doesn't MOVE at all wit poly mounts.) But I know in other cars if you have bad bushings it'll eat up the tranny. Will this cause any damage in the future?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:34 PM

i also have filled mounts but there is a rubber bushing where the shifter rod bolts to the trans which will take up any excess movement
Old 01-21-2005, 10:50 PM

i've been thinking about doing that but don't have full urethane mounts yet. i also have a few other ideas for a much better shifter setup but the pattern might go screwy... could be fun though...
Old 01-22-2005, 01:39 AM

i had this mod done, too. the rubber was cracked so badly that the shifter was about to fall onto the tailpipe. the new setup makes a world of difference. there is more road noise with mine, as the rubber acted as a sound-damper.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Seperated at Birth?

...worst idea ever...
Old 01-22-2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by antonthegrey
...worst idea ever...
ok. we're waiting.....
Old 01-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Seperated at Birth?

think.

it's rubber for a reason. not only will you get extreme vibration (I dont care if you have ploy mounts), but your tranny will suffer greatly. That rubber bar allows for some slack in the linkage whereas the welded bar does not. Your shift forks will be riding up in the shift collars causing premature wear. I'd *higly* advise you to trash that and pay for a new one. It's 38 some odd bucks from COurtesy.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by subs1000w
i also have filled mounts but there is a rubber bushing where the shifter rod bolts to the trans which will take up any excess movement
o rly?

if it's so good at taking up excess movement, then why did Nissan put that rubber shift mount?
Old 01-22-2005, 10:58 AM

i'll let you know when my tranny fails.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:40 AM

i think they put the rubber there for 2 reasons

to minimize shifter vibration (my shifter does vibrate ever so slightly more now)

and to allow play for when the engine moves (since i have filled mounts my engine does not move more then an in. i was able to watch this on the dyno and it barly moved even with the spray)

i understand your reason for disliking the idea but ill take my chances because like i said i LOVE the way it feels
Old 01-22-2005, 11:48 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

I did it on my old car(recently sold). Never had a problem like vibrations or more noise. I also loved the feel of it(way more solid). Put about 3000 miles on it this way without a single problem....
Old 01-22-2005, 01:40 PM

Yeah I didn't think it was a good idea. I didn't look at mine very well, is the rubber molded into the housing somehow? Whats holding it in place?
Old 01-22-2005, 01:56 PM

Your shift forks will be riding up in the shift collars causing premature wear.
Seeing as he is already on his 3rd tranny (iirc), and one of them he stripped the teeth off first gear, I dont think it will be much of a problem, as his 255whp/332tq (last time I checked) is doing a fine job at killing them.

I dont really like notchy shifters though, but as long as it is precise then
Old 01-22-2005, 02:01 PM

Really it only holds the stationary rod, not the actaul shifting rod. I donno whatto think.

Originally Posted by MrGone
Seeing as he is already on his 3rd tranny (iirc), and one of them he stripped the teeth off first gear, I dont think it will be much of a problem, as his 255whp/332tq (last time I checked) is doing a fine job at killing them.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
Really it only holds the stationary rod, not the actaul shifting rod. I donno whatto think.
Oh yeah, good point. In that case engine movement should only translate into the top of the shifter moving back or forwards a bit.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:45 PM

i'm keeping the setup as well. i like it. it is better than what i had before. besides, my days of hard-launching/street racing, the main factor for killing these piece of **** trannies anyway, are pretty much over, as i now have another car to abuse.

anton, your ideas are well spoken, btw.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:54 PM

I have alot of movment of the shifter going into a few gears, 2nd gear sounds like it grinds for a "very quick" split sec. (a small "Click" i can feel it too) but only when i shift at a normal speed (and not all the time, like 1 out of 5 shifts), if i shift slow as hell,into 2nd, no "click"
... does this mount sound like the problem in my situation? Im comming from a VG auto, and im new to this VE5 but I've been driving stick for a year.
- I'll have the car up on a lift this monday, all night. What are some things i should check for? will i be able to tell the mount is falty by just looking at it?
- I remember people wrapping this mount with tape (duct/electrical) and alot of zip ties, good idea for a temp fix? if someone can dig up thoes old pics that would help.

any advice will be great thanx..
cya
Old 01-22-2005, 07:32 PM

I'm looking at the linkage AGAIN. I don't think there is ANY harm to the tranny. The rubber block in the holder bracket connects to the stationary link. Like i siad it doesn't move. The ONLY time it moves is when the engine jerks during hard acceleration and reverse. The stock rubber mounts, have big gaps in them so, they will actauly give a good 3/4 to an inch.

By making king it solid steel, rather than pulling on the rubber it now pulles on the holder bracket. The shifter linakage only moves when the stationry link moves.

There is no tear on the tranny. However I wouldn't do this with stock monts. Because of the movemnt, it could eat up the bushing on the staionary rod where it connects on the tranny. With the poly mounts I have I can feel NO MOVEMENT in the shifter, and visauly see no movement. So I might go ahead and do this also!

Unless someone proves me very wrong.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:37 PM

bingo!!! i also knew this but didnt feel like typing it all out thats why i just stated there was a rubber bushing that would take up all the slack of the engine movment
Old 01-22-2005, 08:08 PM

...It'll get eatin up with stock mounts. Sereously.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Ford Only.

I have never heard of this problem and dont really understand it. Good stuff though, I learned something new for the day.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:35 PM

i did the Dave B mod to mine..
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=331517

i wouldnt trust a stiff plate like that which allows no slack, just think of where all the stress now goes when you get on and off the gas especially in a lower gear. What i did stiffens the shifter up a bit more but it still allows for some slack
Old 01-22-2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Maximan190
i did the Dave B mod to mine..
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=331517

[img]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/175000-175999/175745_395_full.jpg[img]

i wouldnt trust a stiff plate like that which allows no slack, just think of where all the stress now goes when you get on and off the gas especially in a lower gear. What i did stiffens the shifter up a bit more but it still allows for some slack
I did it to Antons car a long time ago, used metal and some wierd bonding crap that didn't work well. All the same idea though.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by bonzelite
anton, your ideas are well spoken, btw.

thank you.

going to mechanics school and being a wrench for a year kinda helps.

seriously... it pains me to see what kids do to their rides these days.

...especially when I have to fix them *sigh* more money for me.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Seperated at Birth?

I did it to Antons car a long time ago, used metal and some wierd bonding crap that didn't work well. All the same idea though.
it worked for as long as I needed it to.

oh, and we didn't let it set long enough at the correct temp. I have it holding my hammer together now... beating on some body panels doesn't budge it.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by ChrisCheezer
I have alot of movment of the shifter going into a few gears, 2nd gear sounds like it grinds for a "very quick" split sec. (a small "Click" i can feel it too) but only when i shift at a normal speed (and not all the time, like 1 out of 5 shifts), if i shift slow as hell,into 2nd, no "click"
... does this mount sound like the problem in my situation? Im comming from a VG auto, and im new to this VE5 but I've been driving stick for a year.
- I'll have the car up on a lift this monday, all night. What are some things i should check for? will i be able to tell the mount is falty by just looking at it?
- I remember people wrapping this mount with tape (duct/electrical) and alot of zip ties, good idea for a temp fix? if someone can dig up thoes old pics that would help.

any advice will be great thanx..
cya
The grinding going into gears is the clutchs fault 99% of the time.

You wont be able to see this bar as it's on top of the catalytic converter and heat shielding (from under the car. From in-car, just take off the shift boot and dust boot to see it. Throw in some hi-temp grease while you're in there.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Seperated at Birth?

then you won't like a T56 (or T5 for that matter) in your mustang. It's like a goddamed seven-way toggle switch
Old 01-23-2005, 12:11 AM

then you won't like a T56 (or T5 for that matter) in your mustang. It's like a goddamed seven-way toggle switch
thats what im talking about, my buddys got a tremec TKO600 in his stang and it feels great so precise

my buddys 87 supra on the other hand has an @ss load of play in each gear but i think its just the stock wornout shifter, but i hate it
Old 01-23-2005, 12:20 AM

I dont mind that so much, I just hate it when it feels like your fighting the syncros everytime you shift.

Someday I'd like to get the stillen, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4
Old 01-23-2005, 10:30 AM

you should try having a ****ty junk yard tranny that isn't as good as they said it was and come to find out one of the holes for the bolt that holds the stationary bar are stripped so every once in a while the bolt comes out making it loose making every single gear feel like you're fighting the syncros.... i hate it.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:24 PM

The grinding going into gears is the clutchs fault 99% of the time.

You wont be able to see this bar as it's on top of the catalytic converter and heat shielding (from under the car. From in-car, just take off the shift boot and dust boot to see it. Throw in some hi-temp grease while you're in there.
what do you mean the clutchs falt? its a new clutch. i don't understand.
what the clutch doing that making the grind.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:52 PM

Could just be User Error.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:09 PM

alot of the time, the clutch isnt completely disengaging, which is why it can be hard to shift/etc.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:11 PM

that may not be the trouble in your case, then. how old is your tranny?
you said you have movement in the actual shifter. the rubber in there is probably crumbled to bits, as was mine. my shifter was nearly about to fall into the street like fred flinstone's open-bottomed car.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:19 PM

alot of the time, the clutch isnt completely disengaging, which is why it can be hard to shift/etc.
maybe his fork isn't adjusted right.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
you should try having a ****ty junk yard tranny that isn't as good as they said it was and come to find out one of the holes for the bolt that holds the stationary bar are stripped so every once in a while the bolt comes out making it loose making every single gear feel like you're fighting the syncros.... i hate it.
lol. What's your count on trannies now? I've babied mine for as long as I can....also restricted myself from buying any mods, but I can't take it any longer. I still intend sending my spare out to IPT to get it beefed up / bigger bearing installed. I'm almost tempted to attempt it on my own: tear the spare apart and put it together over the course of 3 months or so and have all the components cryo-ed or heat-treated. It's the bigger bearing aspect that's dissuading me. Worst case scenario, I screw up putting it together and dump it. It's paper-weight right now anyway, so I might as well try learning something from the teardown...
Old 01-23-2005, 04:14 PM

mine grinds when shifting into 5th if i shift really fast but if i pull it out of 4th and wait a second it goes in fine

it also grinds when trying to shift back into first from anyhting above 10mph

these are both bad syncros

if the clutch isnt disengaging you will have problems shifting through every gear not just 1 or 2 out of 5

my last trans had no probllems at all as far as shifting and i havnt touched the clutch so i know its the trans
Old 01-23-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
it also grinds when trying to shift back into first from anyhting above 10mph
mine does that aswell but I think its more like 5mph, Its annoying as ****.

Mine also doesn't like to go into second gear :-/

right now a smooth, easy shifting tranny is my idea of perfection

edit: It is also funny, Sometimes I swear my tranny shifts smoother when its cold than when its warm.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:32 AM

ok i dont think im having a any clutch or shifter mount problems, its my 2nd gear sycroniser, (i think)
if i shift out of first and wait a quick sec. before shifting to second it shifts perfect without any small click or grind.
what do you think this would this cost me if i wanted to get it fixed? of couse i wouldnt be pulling the tranny apart myself, but i could take it out and drop it off at a tranny shop.
any advice?

Quick Reply: i made a solid shifter mount