3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Sorry VGers

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry VGers

Just got a 92 SE.... and despite an exhaust manifold leak. i ****ing love it. oh man. i didn't think their would be much of a difference... but there is! ha!
i think i'll swap some of the better conditioned stuff out of my GXE into it.
and yes, its an auto. i plan to drive that until it starts to slip, the switch it to a 5 spd. its still under 100k too, no VTC tick
i'm so happy
Old 01-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Im izz sexay

I might be goin VE also. Hell why the apology. YOu had two choice VG30ET swap or VE (less labor). Congrats.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:00 PM

VG power 4 life
Old 01-22-2005, 12:03 PM

you'll be sorry dammit!!!

just playing... the VE is indeed an awesome engine. i've driven a 5-speed before and it felt like it had power everywhere. definitely nice. i'm a vg fanatic at heart though so just can't leave what i love.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Way out West

Congratulations. Just keep the oil changed and use the Toyota filter recommended in the stickies.

We can let MtCookson go ahead and keep his VG, since he has the "special" one...
Old 01-22-2005, 12:46 PM

JDM powa y0!!

Don't worry, sometime soon you guys should start seeing the power of the VG start to become unleashed. The engine really isn't the weak part of these cars. Sure, they are dogs stock compared to the VE but has tons of potential (as does the VE... which I would actually love to build up a VE someday but the Maxima and Z are two big projects at the moment). The real limiting factor of our Maximas is the stupid transmission.

I know I can pull a ****-ton of power out of these VG's but I have no good way of putting it to the ground. Hell... maybe I should just convert to rwd now while I'm ahead. I'm going to hopefully sometime get the spair tranny I have (or maybe buy a VE tranny) and have it sent off to get the stronger bearing put in by IPT, have the whole thing cryoed and the gears and whatever else shotpeened, and hopefully... hopefully I won't break it.

With that accomplished, I'll be putting the TTZ internals into my old Maxima engine. Most like I'll have the whole engine cryoed and everything around here as I believe there are some places that'll do it. That should allow it to handle the power that I'm looking to push (as an idea... the turbo I'm getting can handle upwards of 650 whp...). Its a Holset HX35. The compressor is the size of a damn Garrett T78 yet it still spools incredibly well and has an awesome map. (the turbo is off of a Dodge Ram with a Cummins diesel). They can easily be picked up in near brand new condition for less than 400 dollars.

Since I'll have the TT crank in there that means I can upgrade to a TT clutch (might have to go N/A due to size resitrictions i.e. TT clutch - 250 mm, N/A clutch 240 mm). If the TT clutch and flywheel will fit, I'm highly contemplating on whether or not to try fitting a OS Giken multiplate clutch in there. Very, very streetable yet will handle about 700 hp if I remember correctly. (I think all I'd have to do to make the TT clutch and flywheel work is put a spacer inbetween the bell housing and starter considering that's all they do on the TT tranny vs. the N/A tranny).

From there I'll just need some custom CV's made which don't usually cost all that much to have done. Strengthen up the chassis quite a bit and maybe... just maybe... I'll have the fastest Maxima for a while.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:13 PM

Hi,

iam behind you all the way,

Vgpower
Old 01-22-2005, 01:20 PM
I will eat your children

nice, but i still like my VG. 90 GXE
Old 01-22-2005, 02:05 PM

I saw a marooon max here in atlant with a VE swapped in and was boosted with a regular 4th gen turbo kit. Looks ALOT simpler than going any route on a vg...

Mtcookson you get a pathfinder intake on urs yet?!
Old 01-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Loved by MrGone longtime

you don't have to apologize for anything........

i'm not.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
Nope and most likely it won't go without a lot of work to the manifold so I believe what I'm going to do is use the Pathy lower intake manifold and just make my own upper. It should be pretty simple for the most part however the only thing I'm not sure on how to do is how to setup the IACV... I'll figure something out though.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:33 PM

how much machining of the snout and cam gear did u have to do and is there anything else in the way for the Z32TT crank. theres a turboed VG in my city making riduculaus power legend in RI. he had that for atleast 5 yrs I heard of it. and it MOVES!!
Old 01-22-2005, 04:09 PM

if its the guy i'm thinking of he comes on here every once in a while but seems to never want to show anyone dyno slips and whatnot. no one seems to know whether or not he's bull****ting everyone or not.

haven't got the TT crank machined yet. hopefully i'll get that done soon.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:50 PM

mtcookson, when is your book coming out?
Old 01-22-2005, 06:13 PM
mod or sell?

Just keep the oil changed and use the Toyota filter recommended in the stickies.
Hmm... I don't use the yota filter (Group 7 works fer me) , I run whatever oil I have floating around, am usually a quart or 2 low, and I have no VTC noise.
oh, and I'm usually a few months behind on my oil change.

oh, and I have 132k+ on mine.

in case you haven't guessed I'm not a great believer in VTCs being a major problem. of course the cars earlier maintanence may have more to do with VTC life than we think.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Ford Only.

Definately a good upgrade, congrats. Turbo the VE and you will forget all about a VG-T.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 3rdmaxse0
how much machining of the snout and cam gear did u have to do and is there anything else in the way for the Z32TT crank. theres a turboed VG in my city making riduculaus power legend in mc. he had that for atleast 5 yrs I heard of it. and it MOVES!!

Good ol' Rhode Islanders!!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
mtcookson, when is your book coming out?
lol... i can't write...

at the least i have a mini write up thingy about the swap at my cardomain page.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
I saw a marooon max here in atlant with a VE swapped in and was boosted with a regular 4th gen turbo kit. Looks ALOT simpler than going any route on a vg...

Old 01-23-2005, 12:46 PM

is the VE auto transmission stronger than the VG? i know they are different - but that's about it
also, how much power does an exhaust manifold leak rob from the engine? it really is a nice deep throaty sound, and it's going to be a pain to fix in the winter.

this morning - in brooklyn - the VE was a pile of snow with the tip of ONE side view mirror sticking out of it... that is all the was visible. its crazy here right now
t
Old 01-23-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
...I'm not a great believer in VTCs being a major problem.
Nor I. Mine ticks like nuts, but it runs like it should and has plenty of torque, so I'm not gonna lose sleep-1 over it, or dollar-1 if I ever sell it. If anyone here wants to rebuild my VTCs on their time and cash, feel free.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:00 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
is the VE auto transmission stronger than the VG? i know they are different - but that's about it
the VE is stronger it got the RE4F04AV (I think that's it)
whereas the VG got a RE4F02A (I think)
the first "4" is the number of speeds
The "F" is for FWD
the 02 and 04 are torque ratings I believe.
Beyond that I'm a bit foggy at the moment