3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

fat *** electrical problem, need help fast

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 10:26 PM

fat *** electrical problem, need help fast

hows it going

about 8 months ago i rewired my corners so that theyre always bright, and put in some Eurolite bulbs which provided very nice greenish white light on my corners, bright enough to drive without my headlights on. i also took out the bulbs from the corner ambers, thinking its better to be without them lit up.

one my bulbs in the corners went out, and i couldnt find a replacement pair anywhere, so i got some regular 1157s, and some extra 185 bulbs for the ambers, inserted them, turned em on, all worked fine just like it should, the corners were lit up bright, the ambers worked fine, so did regular headlights.

about an hour later, at full dark, as i was about to drive to rent some movies, weird **** happened, suddenly i realized im driving without my dash console lit up, and without my corners lit up, only headlights. i turned the light switch on and off a couple times, nothing changed, i couldnt see my gauge cluster lit up, or the rest of my dash, and corners were not lit up either. only headlights.

its weird, though i could still manage to follow the speed limit, i couldnt see how fast i was going, or my RPM or the climate controls, it was all as if it was dead, no corners, nothing, only headlights. could i have done something that turned off pretty much the entire lighting of my car? what is the problem?

thanks
Old 01-23-2005, 10:28 PM
Alex_V

Try checking your fuses. You might have blow one or 2.

~Alex

Old 01-23-2005, 10:39 PM

how could i have blown it? i need to know so i dont do this again later

which fuses to check? there are the ones under the dash, and there are two fuseboxes in the engine bay
Old 01-23-2005, 10:58 PM

Check the wires that you cut and soldered to do the rewire. You may have disturbed some poor electrical tape job when you installed new bulbs.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by chrgdRapa
how could i have blown it? i need to know so i dont do this again later

which fuses to check? there are the ones under the dash, and there are two fuseboxes in the engine bay

Its under the dash -fuses. Right, top ones. They are for rear LH,RH lights also.

Could be also your light sw contacts. They burn after theyir days are numbered, need no reason. Open, clean and hope, or buy similar from junkyard... Once burned, will return.

As eric said, never do regular tape: only use self vulcanizing rubber tape if u do not like fireworks, that is.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:04 AM

hope im not stating the ovious, but the max turns the guage cluster lights off when one of your break bulbs is busted (so you dont drive around with busted break lights)

check if your break lights are not out. (bulbs)