3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

STS turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:47 PM

STS turbocharger

I have always planned to turbo my car when i had the time and money. But ive heard alot of mixed opinions on doing it. One of the problems ive heard alot was the space to do a proper setup. Ive been reading up on this STS turbocharger, and it seems like a very good idea even though its for the camaro. What i like about it is that it is mounted underneath the car towards the back. This eliminated the need of a intercooler and also gives you denser exhaust gas for a better spool. I was wondering if anyone played with the idea of doing something like this. I know that even below our cars aren't the most spacious. But if the spare tire well was removed there would be more than enough space.
Also has anyone done anything unconventional with forced induction? Im an engineering/math major so i plan to make my own setup one day, just want to get some ideas so when i get to the point to do it ill have some blueprints already drawn up.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you move the battery to the trunk there is plenty of space there for a turbo.

also, with as much piping that would be required for that STS setup that would actually increase lag quite a bit. remember, you have to pressurize all of that pipe after the turbo... that's a lot of space to build pressure in.

never noticed it before but that seems a bit scary where the air filter is
Old 01-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OBEEWON
Also has anyone done anything unconventional with forced induction? Im an engineering/math major so i plan to make my own setup one day, just want to get some ideas so when i get to the point to do it ill have some blueprints already drawn up.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=365804&page=1

If you like SC FI, this is in the works....
Old 01-25-2005, 01:36 PM
mod or sell?

I have always planned to turbo my car when i had the time and money. But ive heard alot of mixed opinions on doing it. One of the problems ive heard alot was the space to do a proper setup. Ive been reading up on this STS turbocharger, and it seems like a very good idea even though its for the camaro. What i like about it is that it is mounted underneath the car towards the back. This eliminated the need of a intercooler and also gives you denser exhaust gas for a better spool. I was wondering if anyone played with the idea of doing something like this. I know that even below our cars aren't the most spacious. But if the spare tire well was removed there would be more than enough space.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:39 PM

Yeah i was concerned about the filter location too but K&N provides a waterproof sock. I like a bit of lag. i know that sounds weird but when it kicks in thats the greatest feeling in the world. I had a SAAB 900 turbo and that thing was wicked. Does anyone know how much lag the system gives on the camaro?
Old 01-25-2005, 10:11 PM

i was reading more on that site and they claim there is actually minimal lag. they said with all of that piping it actually not displacing any more air than a front mounted setup with an intercooler.... i think its just because they have a small turbo and a big v8...

it might be something interesting to try out... but i'd be kind of nervous having such an expensive component open to road debris and such.

i know what you mean about the lag though. when the turbo spools that is definitely the greatest feeling.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:19 PM

id put it in the spare tire well to protect it but when you open the trunk it would look stock

then keep the engine bay completly stock and have the charge pipe comeup through the fender where a normal CAI would for a total sleeper. you could proboly even connect it to the stock air box i mean nobodyed be the wiser

the only problem i would see would be how to run the charge pipe from the turbo back up to the front with out it hanging down to low
Old 01-26-2005, 05:26 AM

Yeah. ive always wanted to get one of those skid plates to protect my Y-pipe. my car is so low that it bumps on some speed bumps. maybe one of those could be used to protect the turbo. The tire well might be a good location too. and just have the intake poking out. How pissed would you be if you side a turbo sliding away from your car. . .
But the greatest feature is NO INTERCOOLER! that would ultimately cut down on overall price and space used.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:23 AM
mod or sell?

But the greatest feature is NO INTERCOOLER! that would ultimately cut down on overall price and space used.
not too mention no pressure differential drop