3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

'89 Factory Car Alarm Won't Shut Off - Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 05:34 PM
GA MAX

The car alarm used to shut off by the turn of the door key - that eventually stopped working. At that point I had to rely on turning the trunk key to turn off the alarm. Well, now I'm stranded! The car alarm went off and I cannot turn it off with the key. I had to disconnect the battery to stop the blinking lights and blaring horn! Of course, I could not start the car because it automatically shuts down the starter when the alarm is activated. I don't know if it is a short in the system or what, all I know is that I want to turn the alarm off, reset it, disable it... something to get me moving again. Please, please help with any suggestions as to what to do to shut it off or to repair it. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2001, 05:50 PM

1.) Do you have Digital Touch Keyless Entry?
2.) Have you unlocked the doors (two counter-clockwise turns) on the driver OR passenger side?

If none of this works, you'll probably need to replace the Anti-Theft control unit.

-Kaleb
Old 04-29-2001, 09:29 PM

well to get it to stop goin off for now, you can just unplug the plug from the anti theft box unit from under the dash like above the brake pedal. look under there and find the unit that sais anti theft blah blah and unplug that plug of wires and it should disable the alarm..
Old 04-30-2001, 11:15 AM
GA MAX

How Do I Disable the Factory Car Alarm?

Will Unplugging the car alarm disable the starter? Apparently I have faulty alarm switches in the car. I contacted a dealer today and the cost to fix or replace the alarm and switches is way too high. I would like to totally disable the alarm (bypass it)so that I can start and drive the car. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 04-30-2001, 12:16 PM
GA MAX

Alarm Failure

1.) Do you have Digital Touch Keyless Entry? No, I don't

2.) Have you unlocked the doors (two counter-clockwise turns) on the driver OR passenger side? I have tried all doors and the trunk.

If none of this works, you'll probably need to replace the Anti-Theft control unit. It's too expensive to replace, so I would like to disable it so that I can drive the car again! Any suggestions...? Thanks.

Old 04-30-2001, 01:24 PM

speaking of alarm problems...

On my 93 GXE system with the digital touch keyless entry, sometimes turning the key in the driver's side door doesn't disable the security system. It unlocks the door, but if I open it the alarm goes off.

I'm able to turn off the alarm by closing the doors and rearming the security system, then deactivating it by punching in the code.

I've been able to avoid the problem mostly, because I noticed that if I turn the key twice (unlocking all doors), if the all the doors unlock, then the security system is deactivated, but if only the driver's side door unlocks, then the system is still on.

My workaround has been to pay attention to that, and when it doesn't work (other doors stay locked), use the code or go around to the passenger side and do the double-turn.

Any idea what I need to fix/replace?
It works fine 95% of the time.
Old 04-30-2001, 03:47 PM

Re: How Do I Disable the Factory Car Alarm?

Originally posted by GA MAX
Will Unplugging the car alarm disable the starter? Apparently I have faulty alarm switches in the car. I contacted a dealer today and the cost to fix or replace the alarm and switches is way too high. I would like to totally disable the alarm (bypass it)so that I can start and drive the car. Any suggestions? Thanks.

yes it should disable the whole alarm, just unplug that connector with all the wires on it leading to the box.

here is a pic from my car, (this is with the dash cover removed)

the box should be the one in the middle (the gold one) with the wires going into it, it should be the alarm box. the only thing im unsure of is whether that is it or its the box behind it, you will kow when you unplug the plug and the blinking security light on the dash doesnt go on when the door is open, but just disconnect that clump of wires from the box and it should fix everything..
Old 05-01-2001, 09:48 AM
GA MAX

Unplugging Works!

Thank you, thank you for the help. I unplugged the alarm and now I can drive the car again. Life is good.