3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

High Idle After TPS Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 12:56 PM

High Idle After TPS Adjustment

I just finished adjusting my TPS according to the Haynes Manual and I start the car and it idles at about 1600. Did I do something wrong or does the PCM need a few drive cycles to compensate?
Old 02-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

should be at 1k ohms closed throttle.
If it already is, your aac valve may need cleaning, replacement or adjustment.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. I checked it before adjusting and it was like 850 ohms closed and 7.5k ohms at WOT. I'll check it again to see if anything has changed. BTW when I said idle, I meant in park or neutral warmed up. Its between 800 and 900 in "D" or "R".
Old 02-17-2005, 03:04 PM

Well, I drove it to the store and back and the computer seems to be sorting things out. I'll keep an eye on things, but I think there isn't a problem. I'll check for carbon deposits in the IACV also.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by james93gxe
Well, I drove it to the store and back and the computer seems to be sorting things out. I'll keep an eye on things, but I think there isn't a problem. I'll check for carbon deposits in the IACV also.
TPS is a potentiometer that wears as any; actually you're measuring the soot on the pot surface; this soot comes and goes like on trips from here to there an' back.

TPS Can be cleaned likewise as radio pots: with electronics cleaner. To access, fabricate a hole in the upper corner, then spray in cleaner while rotating the throttle axle. Close hole with silicon.

see inside: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/6

-93 VG30E Automatic: After studying, I came to conlusion [pls give input if error] that TPS is used by ECU only during warmup. After warmup ECU uses only MAF & O2. TCU instead uses TPS always and calculates pedal pressing speed for gear change ctrl. Zero pos sw is used by both, the wide angle sw is not used at all.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:04 AM
LvR

Originally Posted by Wiking
TPS is a potentiometer that wears as any; actually you're measuring the soot on the pot surface; this soot comes and goes like on trips from here to there an' back.

TPS Can be cleaned likewise as radio pots: with electronics cleaner. To access, fabricate a hole in the upper corner, then spray in cleaner while rotating the throttle axle. Close hole with silicon.

see inside: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/6

-93 VG30E Automatic: After studying, I came to conlusion [pls give input if error] that TPS is used by ECU only during warmup. After warmup ECU uses only MAF & O2. TCU instead uses TPS always and calculates pedal pressing speed for gear change ctrl. Zero pos sw is used by both, the wide angle sw is not used at all.
Wiking - I dont have a dedicated manual for our specific South African ECU/electronics, but our cars dont have O2 sensors .......... in our case where no O2 sensor is present the TPS could (?!) be used I suppose.......
Old 02-18-2005, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by LvR
Wiking - I dont have a dedicated manual for our specific South African ECU/electronics, but our cars dont have O2 sensors .......... in our case where no O2 sensor is present the TPS could (?!) be used I suppose.......

I suppose so. The O2 is 'plain stupidity'; the whole computer environment is... Newer maxes have three O2... I am pretty sure the same output could have been done with lots fewer sensors.

These old cars have some ten computers, some newest get now near 100. What will they be after 10yrs? junk.

I guess there are many versions of ECU programs, are they on EPROM or just plain jumpers? at least nissan document people seem confuzeus. I suppose that there is no such info [ECU versions], all off mainstream were ? done in dark corner by sub/sub/sub manufacturers... Maybe somebody here has real intel inside info after my worm count...

Btw. It would be nice to know that 'jumper' for non O2, just in case...
Old 02-18-2005, 07:14 AM
LvR

Btw. It would be nice to know that 'jumper' for non O2, just in case...
Indeed! .