3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

mileage with pipes and intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 05:58 PM

mileage with pipes and intake

Tail pipe is rotting off my '93, and i'm wondering what a 'straight through' type exhaust after the cat does to mileage. I don't really get a whole lot into the performance thing (although i dig a kick in the pants when the loud pedal goes down), and most of my time is spent on the highway at 70+mph. Also, thinking about doing some sort of cold-air/ram intake, but i'm sure that will only help with mileage.

So i'm asking what sort of mileage change y'all have seen before and after putting on an open cat-back exhaust.
Thanks
Ern
Old 02-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Im izz sexay

Cat-back is useless. Just replace with OE and get a Warpseed y-pipe. If you want more sound buy a new muffler. But you'll feel more gains with the y-pipe and you'll get a better mpg rate.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:31 PM

BUMP

anyone want to sound off with some information i can use?
thanks
Ern
Old 02-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Way out West

I noticed better mpg when I put on a custom y-pipe. It marginally improved when I put on an intake. I noticed several mpg better when the car got a fidanza flywheel and AMSoil gear oil in the tranny. When I drive it normal, I get 30 mpg on the freeway. That is with the stock rims and stock size tires. My car is in a pretty good state of tune and the tires are all at the same psi. Around town, I don't fare so well, but that's because of how I drive.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

Chris you get the rest of the Jeffy custom cai in? Likey?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:39 PM

cool.
Not looking to throw a y-pipe at it right away, just kinda checking what happens with an open exhaust on an engine that's considerably closer to 1hp/cubic inch than i'm used to. Definately looking at a straight-through exhaust, like I said.

Here's where y'all are going to kill me: it's a '93 merc villager van. but, the driveline is straight-up 3gen maxima, except for the ford-designed organ pipe plenum. definately doesn't help top-end power, but gives a nice boost in midrange torque. I'm looking at replacing the stock muffler with a glasspack (they put the muffler there for a mathematical reason, the van's freakin' wide open underneath) and probably a flowmaster or some sort of turbo muffler at the back to exhaust just under the rear bumper(instead of that goofy pipe that's there stock). Although i am willing to say a Y-pipe is in my future 'cause the stocker is starting to look pretty rough.

Would love to hear more from everyone that's modded their exhaust, though.

thanks
Ern

[yes, my van is big, white, and dumb. ]
Old 02-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am curious as to why there is a maxima engine in your mercury/ ford van...
Old 02-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the vg engine was put in the nissan quest, as well as its cousin, the villager
Old 02-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

the cool thing about the VG in the villager is that Ford made Nissan make it a non interference motor. I am not sure what they changed (probably just the head design) but that would be nice to have a motor that doesnt get destroyed (or at least cost a fortune ro fix) if the timing belt breaks.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:12 PM

yeah, and you should see how big of a b#%ch it is to get at the front of the engine when it's installed. fahgettaboudit

The story with the Quest/Villager is something like this:
Mercury and Nissan decided about the same time that they needed a more 'mainstream' minivan to sell. something kinda high-tech, a little posh, and definately a good value. Nissan provided the driveline and suspension, as well as a couple of the major stampings. ford provided the rest of the parts and the factory (avon lakes, ohio), each company designed its own interior. production was 2/3 villager and 1/3 Quest.

it's a good thing the engine doesn't eat itself when the belt beaks, with all the recalls they've had, like, oh... someone overtorquing the eshaust manifold nuts (exhuast leaks after a few thousand miles) and another dumbass getting overexcited with a box cutter while un-crating the fill hose.... yeah. oh, and don't over-tighten the accesory belts, that goofy triple mini-serpentine setup will snap the snout off the crank.

think i'm going to call it "Baby Huey"

back on track: looks like opening up the exhaust (cat back) is a good idea on this one. I'll definately be saving up for a new y-pipe sometime, too (max stuff fits in front of the cat)

Ern
Old 02-26-2005, 10:20 PM

BUMP

Just throwing it back up to see if someone else wants to weigh in.

Thanks
Ern

Old 02-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Vadim-93GXE

Originally Posted by DirtyErnie
The story with the Quest/Villager is something like this:
Mercury and Nissan decided about the same time that they needed a more 'mainstream' minivan to sell. something kinda high-tech, a little posh, and definately a good value. Nissan provided the driveline and suspension, as well as a couple of the major stampings. ford provided the rest of the parts and the factory (avon lakes, ohio), each company designed its own interior. production was 2/3 villager and 1/3 Quest.
So did Nissan and Ford share the money somehow?

Old 02-27-2005, 12:39 AM

i'm sure it was advantageous to everyone involved, they're in business to make money.