3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

HELP PLZZZZZZZZ!!! Head Gasket Blown??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 09:13 AM

HELP PLZZZZZZZZ!!! Head Gasket Blown??

I was messing around a little, looking for my pcv valve..i took off the oil cover and look what i found (pics on my cardomain page 5) my mom had a blown head gasket once and it looked something like that, but the thing is my temp gauge stays at normal (unlike my mom's who’s went up and down) and I have a new t-stat that i just put in like 1 1-2 months ago, and at the same time I did a coolant flush and I haven’t had to refill the overflow tank at all, theres still plenty in there (unlike my mom's where I needed to refill the radiator like every 2 days). one other thing I want to mention just incase this has something to do with it... when I had a shop do a coolant flush they didn’t remove the bleeder at all the one at the top of my vg, so I removed it and bleed it but when I tighten it I broke the top off and its been leaking just a little...I didn’t know if that is leaking into the oil at all, but thought I would mention it.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/712118/5

sorry for such a long post but i am worried, thanks for looking!!!
Old 02-27-2005, 09:44 AM

If coolant level does not drop, just change oil and wait...

Looks bad. What has the temps been around there for last months? Lots cold satrtups, condensation?

Correct the leak; coolant system should be pressurized.

...lukiluki how it flows: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/8

Old 02-27-2005, 10:10 AM

looks like some very out of focus pictures to me cardomain only displays pics in only one resolution from my experience. anyway, might just be some buildup on the cap, if your coolant looks milkshaky as well there's a bigger chance of a bhg. if it's the cap only, you're probably cool, expecially if that's your only symptom.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:52 AM

thanks guys...i did some searching myself also...i found out that sometimes a little of that stuff on the cap is normal and it can also be caused my a blocked pcv valve, well i was going to change it anyway, so i found it, took off the hose and it was not working at all...so i got a new one and put it in...we'll see what happends, thanks alot guys...i guess i just rushed to conclusion (fingures crossed) lol...thanks again later
Old 02-27-2005, 08:18 PM

my oil cap looks like that also. my coolant looks fine. I just flushed it about a month ago. I am going to get an oil system cleaner and put that in before I change my oil and see if that will help any. I know my valve covers are leaking so I need to change thoes and I am going to try and drop my oil pan and clean that out b/c Im sure that it is nasty in there. hopefully that will solve my problem.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:18 PM

Thankfully my Max doesn't have mayo under the cap, but my van has plenty

The headgasket is fine, actually, but the PCV is probably gummed up because it burns lots of oil (typical Dodge/Mitsubishi 3.0 6) I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:18 PM

Could be condensation. It's typical. Does it go away after a bit of driving?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:32 AM

i dont think so...i replaced my pcv valve and cleaned my cap...so maybe at the end of the day ill check it out again...i'm going to try to go to the junkyard today and get that bleeder screw and drill out the old one that i broke and put the new one in...thanks for all the help guys!!!
Old 03-01-2005, 04:41 AM

well I replaced my PCV valve yesterday. I couldnt beleve it when I took it out but it was the original PCV valve! it had the nissan emblem on the side of it. and on top of that it was actually still good! I shook it and it moved back and forth very easy. thats crazy. I work at jiffy lube and I see PCV valves go out on chevys at 20 and 30k miles and mine had 215k on it. guess that really showes the true quality of nissan.

ooh and btw I went on and replaced the PCV valve because I already had it out and it only cost $1.00.