3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Here's your daewoo, your car's unsafe to drive.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 06:24 AM

Here's a daewoo, your car's unsafe to drive.

Well, following up on the recall, it turns out my car is unsafe to drive. It seems there is a basketball sized hole somewhere and the rust is extensive. They gave me a daewoo and said someone has to come in from "division" to look at it and tell them what to do. I knew it was bad when a guy in a suit climbed in my trunk. I'll keep you posted. If you're in MN or even western WI, Kline Nissan seems to be very accomodating. I didn't ask for a rental or anything. Plus, they've already said they may just buy the car from me. I have a feeling that will happen. At first I thought that would be cool, but my car's paid for and I doubt I'll get enough money to buy a new used auto and not have a car payment. Plus i just put speakers in it and a new fuel injector. thankfully, i did the work myself.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:38 AM

Push for a very comfortable trade in. If they don't have anything good worth it... I guess money is money. But I understand that predicament. I wouldn't want to be without a car either.

:edit: I wish I could push my P5 your direction. But you don't want payments, and plus that's a little drive to just to get it. Oh well, guess I'll just keep posting it, and setting it around town.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Way out West

I would not rock the boat as far as a loaner is concerned. I don't think they have to give you one in this situation. I would try to recover your stereo stuff, though.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i'm fearing that will happen to me as well... mine is pretty rusted under there and i'm really hoping they don't offer to buy the car off of me considering how much work i've put into it.

guess i'll found out soon enough though.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:24 AM
mod or sell?

my car had better not start leaking
Old 03-02-2005, 08:41 AM

Well, thinking about it you could probably start up quite a racket scooping up old maximas that haven't had the work done to them and then taking them to a dealer to get a trade or cash.

I'm hoping for a reasonable trade, has anyone heard of that happening with the owner not getting screwed?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:13 AM

I had the post about the rust recall.

I have been fighting nissan for about 6 months now trying to get them to even say that my car is unsafe. my whole seatbelt had to fall completely off for them to even say that there was anything wrong with my car. they even tried to tell me that I was going to have to pay for the recall to be done on the car! WTF. I wish I lived where you did. I might have to give that dealership a call and ask them to look at the pics of my car and see what they say. just consider yourself VERY lucky b/c you didnt have to fight for 6 months with nissan.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:31 AM

dumb question here, what recall, what rust are we talking about?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:54 AM

i drove a daewoo once as a rental, i beat the crap out of it.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....6&goto=newpost

rust recall by maximaboi ^
Old 03-02-2005, 10:37 AM

yeah, i've found the daewoo less than stellar. I've got a 90 SE and it is sooooo much better than the daewoo. The most wretched thing on the car are the side view mirrors. I swear they took funhouse mirrors and used them. everytime I try to look behind me, i almost puke because everything is distorted and moves arounds.

Maximaboi- yeah, after reading your thread I decided to find out if mine had had the recall. I called the dealership and then Nissan. Both were pretty cool about the whole thing. They got me an appointment the next day (yesterday). Even on the phone they said they may just give me money for the car rather than do the repairs. I have no idea why you're getting treated differently. Maybe it's just minnesota nice. They came right out and said your car is unsafe to drive. It may have helped that I brought my toddler with me. When I called them I was real polite and said that I heard there was a recall that needed to be done for rust and that it could rot out the seatbelt bolts and that I didn't really care about the rust, I just wanted to make sure my car was safe because I have a toddler and we're going to be having another baby. I haven't been pushy at all. If anything I've been passive.

I would recommend having your car looked at if you haven't done it already. Just call Nissan at 1-800-647-7261 and give them your vin. If any one uses the rear seatbelts and you're in an accident or stop hard it would awful for something to break loose. Also, if you haven't done it yet and you're thinking about it, you might want to hold off on mods / repairs to see what the dealer says.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:26 PM

I was very nice to nissan until they tried to tell me that to preform the recall I was going to have to come up with $3,500 and they would pay the rest . these people thought that just because I was 18 that they could throw out some numbers and I would run and not look back but they were sadly mistaken.

there has been an update on the issue with nissan and later on today I will sit down and post the update on my thread.

if nissan didnt make such dependable and long lasting cars I honestly would never buy another nissan ever again.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:21 AM

Maximaboi- Update? I'd love to know what it is. Yesterday I talked to the dealership and they said it is at stage 5 (as bad as it gets, I guess) and that the nissan regional division has forwarded it on to Corporate. Supposedly, I'll find something out today.

$3,500 is crap. That's probably what it cost to repair. Anyone know how much this could potentially cost?

Man, I hate when people treat you like you don't know anything because you're young. I'm at 26 and it still doesn't change. For work, I wear a suit so I made sure to show up at the dealership in my work clothes with my boy. Funny thing, no matter where I go, if I'm in my suit people will call me sir, ask me if they can help me with something, etc. etc. Jeans and a t-shirt ... totally differnet experience. If you have to go into the dealership again, dress up.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:39 AM

Are you talking about the Nissan dealership in Maplewood? I live about a mile or two south of that dealership and have found them to be very very courtious and accomodating. I will call them today and see about getting my car in as well. Please keep me updated as well. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:14 AM

MAKE THEM GIVE YOU AN 05 MAXIMA!!! just threaten to sue, and start crying. When women cry it does wonders.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:25 AM

Ramjet- Yeah that's the dealership. I called them and they didn't know what the recall was and that they'd have to look into it. They didn't call back right away so I called Nissan corporate and then called Kline back. I got in the next day. Jean is the service person I've been talking to. She always calls me right back.

Obeewon- i'd love an 05 max. in fact a 95 max would be fine with me. I don't know how the grown man crying will go over. They'd probably yell at me more and then tell me to "take it like a man".
Old 03-08-2005, 05:40 AM

*update -- long* Well, it's know almost a week since I originally dropped my car off at Nissan and I still have the daewoo. I hadn't heard anything as of 4pm yesterday so I called the dealership and the woman I'd been working with was very excited and said, "So you got the call?". I said, "What call". At that point she realized that she said too much, but there was no going back. She ended up telling me that Nissan wanted to buy my car from me. I asked her if i could pull my stereo, K&N, etc. and she said that shouldn't be a problem. I also asked how much it would cost to fix in case I just wanted to do that. She said about 30-40 man hours and that it would cost way too much. She said Nissan would pay up to a certain point, and then I'd have to pay the rest if I wanted to go that route. I said, well, I guess I'll just have to wait for Nissan Corporation's phone call.

Well, at about 5:45 Jared calls from Nissan. First he asks how much I paid for the car, I said $3,000. He asks if I have a record of this and I said no, I paid cash (this is true). He says that "Nissan wants to buy the car and that after running kbb for a car in its condition it's only worth $1500. You can only put so much value on a car that is unsafe on the road. And really, the original owner of the vehicle should have had the work done."

I, of course, said that's unreasonable, though I figured that is what they would offer. So I said, "First of all the NHTSA requires that the recall is performed no matter age, mileage, or ownership. It's not my fault the original owner didn't have the service performed. The fact is that I just found out about it from another maxima owner and wasted no time calling Nissan. Second, the car runs perfect, the fact is that your company put together a defective vehicle that will turn my little boy into a human cannon ball if I hit the brakes hard or get into an accident. All I want is a safe car."

Well, we went around and around and around. Him saying that they'll offer $1500 and that Nissan will not do the work on the car because it would cost more than the car is worth. After he said that I asked him, "So the NHTSA requires that you perform the recall no matter age, ownership, or mileage and are you telling me that Nissan refuses to obey? Just tell me yes or no."

Well, at that point he said he need to find out what documents I have and put me on hold for 5 minutes. He came back and argued a little more and I refused to give him anything. I said that I cannot replace my car with an equal car for $1500. I told him I understand Nissan doesn't want to take a bath on this, but that's not my problem. If they are unwilling to give me reasonable compensation then I'm going to have to demand that the car is fixed and I'm fully within my rights to do that and that I've talked to the NHTSA and they agree that the car must be made safe. All I want is a safe car. If this car needs to be made safe, fine. If Nissan wants to compensate me with a reasonable amount so I can go find a safe, used car then that's fine."

Well, he said that he is going to talk to the dealership on Tuesday (today)to find out exactly how much it would cost to do the repairs and then he will get back to me later in the afternoon and that the $1500 was just what he found on kbb and that Nissan may be able to do more. We'll see..... I'll keep you posted. From reading Maximaboi's post, it seems they have a pretty standard response. The hilarious part was when he tried to tell me that the car really isn't worth that much because it's unsafe for the road. Nice circular argument.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:41 AM

Actually, does anyone know how much it would cost to repair stage 5 rust damage?
Old 03-08-2005, 05:48 AM

This is incredible, I dont think these nissan guys know that there could be one huge mess on their hands if they keep bending rules to the point that they start breaking them nonstop. If they are not careful, they could find themselves on the front page and i dont mean that in a good way.

Make sure you get what you want, either its to be fixed, or you should get a decent amount of money. If they let you take stuff off, take as much as you can off and sell the parts lol....or not.

Good luck, hope you get what you deserve.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:54 AM

Call a local body shop and ask them a rough estimate. If you have pictures, that would be even better. Gives something to counter with if they try charging too much. It also might be easier to get a check from Nissan and go somewhere else.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:58 AM

Exactly. Around 750,000 maximas and stanzas are affected be the recall. I'd be curious to know how many maximas/ stanzas are still on the road and how many recalls have been performed to date. I did bring up the fact that there are maximas all over the place here. Maximas and Accords are very popular and I'm sure a lot of people driving maximas have no idea that their car is dangerous to unsafe. Additionally, I pointed out that you've already agreed that my car is unsafe for the road when you a) told me that and b) gave me a loaner. Anyone would agree with me that you have admitted fault already.

I even told him that I'm not trying to be greedy. If it costs 5000 to fix, i don't expect nissan to cough up 4900 and call it a savings. Nonetheless, i can't replace my car for $1500.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by yelowd
Actually, does anyone know how much it would cost to repair stage 5 rust damage?

The place is nowhere to be seen, no nice finish or paint needed. Just some rust spray; I would use motoroil. Welding in enough steel bits takes max 4hours, I have made myself it to one bluebird which has exactly the same parts.

Add inner mudguard from galvanized sheet or plastics to hinder direct soot hit up there(I have fabricated that in my non rus maxima.)

So price consist of welding machine plus some steel, max 400$.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:05 AM

Ok, I just called a body shop and they said without seeing it and going off of what I told them that $3-4,000 is conservative. ufdah.

Wiking,
While I would do your repair to prevent the problem, I think mine is way past that stage. When they tell you there is a basketball sized hole, you've got problems.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:14 AM

Ok, I just called a body shop and they said without seeing it and going off of what I told them that $3-4,000 is conservative. ufdah.

Wiking,
While I would do your repair to prevent the problem, I think mine is way past that stage. When they tell you there is a basketball sized hole, you've got problems.
Noo. My belt dropped off. Basketball hole. Steel is cheap, u know. It does not matter how u put them in, if structure is more sturdy than new. Easy if u are familiar with creative welding. I am. Have a 9 ton proof...

Take the money, serach for a place which welds for u a belt support with 400$. U know, no need even to be watertight, small holes may be plugged with stuff. The issue is that structure is more sturdy than new. Easy.

Making that place as shining new, for Geneva car exhibit, THAT costs. Are u gonna be t here???

Btw. If somebody insist, I can take PROFESSIONAL pics of that nonprofessional patch in that bluebird. Not nice, better than new in safety. Just under 5000$, pls.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:18 AM

Wiking,

You're killing me. I don't think there is any metal they can weld to. I called another body shop and they said it's basically unfixable and that it is a recall and that Nissan has to fix it or give me just compensation.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:25 AM

Wiking,

You're killing me. I don't think there is any metal they can weld to. I called another body shop and they said it's basically unfixable and that it is a recall and that Nissan has to fix it or give me just compensation.
Hey, nobody likes rusty welding. I dont know if u find a place in US... But welding does not kill, but u need a SAUNA afterwards ...sauna is maybe the 5000$ ???

As long as u can drive the car, u can weld in, any other song is b s hit. Nobody wants to do that welding. Its like cleaning your harness connectors: cheaper to scrap car that clean all, or charge u MAF etc...

Gimme that 5000$ and I'll fly ower and do that to u
Old 03-08-2005, 06:30 AM

on your 1990 SE, the kbb private seller is about 2300 bucks or so.
the kbb on trade in is roughly $1300
yet the suggestive retail price you would find at a dealer would be 3800 bucks.

im no expert, but i would take that into consideration with the guy telling you its only 1500 for the kbb, tell him if you sold it as is right now with your mods and condition the engine and exterior is (of course minus the recall damage) its worth atleast 2300 and you could probably get more. I think i would def. tell the place you want it fixed rather than walk away with 1500 less than you paid for it.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:17 AM

Wiking,

Whatever happen to the sense of adventure with places. Where do you live again? Cause there must be some rich people around for body shops not wanting to do some easy work... and even blow you off with that kind of BS!!!!

Let me browse through cardomain again... I remember seeing a 3rd gen with a lot of rust damage, all of it fixed. People restoring old vehicles replace bigger sections than a basketball sized hole... I'm sure a Max is no problem.

Man some people can be lazy
Old 03-08-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
Whatever happen to the sense of adventure with places. Where do you live again? Cause there must be some rich people around for body shops not wanting to do some easy work... and even blow you off with that kind of BS!!!!

Let me browse through cardomain again... I remember seeing a 3rd gen with a lot of rust damage, all of it fixed. People restoring old vehicles replace bigger sections than a basketball sized hole... I'm sure a Max is no problem.

Man some people can be lazy

Well, the owner needs not to weld: but why so many weld shops shy away??? That is laziness I say...

I did not know how to weld, but after I bought my 9ton RV plus a welder, I sure learned! Took the roof off and made it one foot higher, to eleven four. Well, that was some challenge for a sausage finger like mee...
Old 03-08-2005, 03:52 PM

**********LOOK***********

PLEASE go to my thread about this rust recall http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=347576&page=2

if your car has had this recall done in the past or not PLEASE check behind the carpeting on the drivers side in the trunk. there is a very good chance that it is rusted through.

PLEASE take time to go to my thread http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=347576&page=2
go to page 2 and I made a post just under all of the pics about what is going on.

THANK YOU!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by maximaboi
....PLEASE take time to go to my thread ....
Did take a look. Nothin new there, ol salty rotten chassis of a nissan. News is to me, if somewhere in the world nissan stealership would even look on std rotten nissans...

Before buying a vehicle, its advisable to check the chassis of the possible target. Its good to have a handyman with u, man who already has such vehicle. Based on inspection, make decision. After buying an veery old vehicle, its advisable to immediately open all structures and decide what to do with rust that WILL BE FOUND t here. There are some good low mile exceptions, I'll go only after them.

Next. Welding. Not for Me. BUT. Rustproofing with oilspray, once a year. No fightin, no lawyers... sleep well.

Btw. Be happy of any cent u get.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:46 PM

can't get the rear left seatbelt bolt off (in the trunk) there is a very small amount of oxidation around the bolt it self i broke 2 crafsman sockets on it and split one no name impact socket. also, where the trunk middle piece meets up with the bumper i can see 2 small rust spots (the trunk has to be open to see them) they are each the size of a dime or less. I left a shirt on the floor behind the drivers seat,it rained, and the next day... it seemed damp. there are also 2 more very small rust spots behind the rear seats near the rear strut towers (one on each side.)
the car is a 92se, if i go to the dealer what do you think they will say?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:50 PM

well after reading all this stuff on rust recall id say yours is a level 1 0r 2 chris and that they would easily fix yours, but dont know if they would do it right from the stories afterwards that i have read. id go find out, if nothing else, you feel better about them fixing rust on your car for FREE!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:59 PM

ok ill have that done then... this thread has been very informative thanx.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:05 PM

ok if you really want to see what is going on in there dont try and take the seat belt off. what you do is jack the car up and remove the rear drivers side wheel. you will see a plastic covering that goes from the top of the wheel well all the way down to the bottom. take off that plastic covering and look at the VERY top of the filler neck. you should see where the bolt for the seat belt is. take a screw driver and see if you can push the the metal beside the bolt. also you should see a seam running along the inner wheel well. if there is any spots that have rusted through within 10mm (1cm) of that seam it is a level 5 recall no matter what. if there are just spots of rust within 10mm of that seam then it is a level 4 recall.

if I were you I would do this first then take it to a dealer and see if they come to the same conclusion as you did as to what level this recall is.

but if there is ANY rust in that area I would strongly suggest that you should at least take it to the dealer and have them look at it.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:14 PM

i didn't come to any conclusion of what level it is.. i have been aware of this recall for 3 years now.. my vg never had any rust(thank god)... but my ve has small spots of it, thoes pics are the only reason im going to bring the car in... thoes pics are really horrifying ..lol
-i don't think ill be able to "move" any metal around the bolt since i did impact it and busted the socket well ill take a look at it anyway.. but i really should get it done before its to late. ill keep u guys updated..
Old 03-09-2005, 06:50 PM

***Final Update**** (I hope)

It looks like Nissan surrendered. Without boring you with the details, they are going to fix my car. At first the guy said that I had the choice of having the repair done or they would buy the car for the amount I paid for it. I, of course, went with option #2 and was told that I just had to come up with some proof that that is the amount I paid for the vehicle. A minute after I got off the phone, Jared called back in a panic and said that he must have mislead me because Nissan won't go higher than $1500, they just want to show that I'm not making money off of them. To get everything straight I asked him if my choice was either take $1500 or have Nissan fix the car. And he said "yes". So I told him call the dealership and fix my car.

Interestingly enough he did say that I was absolutely correct on my point that Nissan has to fix the damage no matter age, mileage, or ownership (if you're fighting Nissan, just pull up the info from the NHTSA's site). Their only option out is to buy the car.

Well, everything is supposed to be taken care of now. I'm a little worried that they may decide not to do it or drag their feet after hearing how maximaboi was treated. But hopefully not.

ps. Larry at the NHTSA is the jam. Good guy, and good advice.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:29 PM

hopefully nissan will take care of this for you. just make sure that they know that if they do the level 5 recall that you have all of the paperwork and that you will know if it was done correctly or not.

as you know nissan also told me that they were going to fix my car and then after I had given them the car to fix they came back to me and said that they wanted to buy it back from me. in your case you dont want that at all. I really didnt want to go down that road but if nissan is willing to buy it back from me for what I paid for it and also the stuff that I did to the car that cant be taken off (rad flust, trans flush, engine treatment, ext) then I said that I would go on and let they buy it back.

and yes larry long is a very nice person. I would not have been able to get this far if it was not for him. he has been VERY helpful to me. he would always call me back and he would even check his work voicemail from home to see if I left him any messages over the night. hes a great guy, thats for sure!