3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel Warning Lamp Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Vadim-93GXE

Fuel Warning Lamp Issue

The other day, I got stranded because I was waiting for my warning light to come on that tells me I need to fill up, but it never came on and the car died of no fuel. A few minutes ago, I removed the cluster and was observing. Im having trouble understanding what the FSM is trying to say according to checking "Fuel Warning Lamp." I figured it was the bulb itself that is no good... Pulled it out, doesn't seem bad Would there be a way to check if my problem is with the bulb or with some type of connection or something? The FSM says to check the harness I believe, for resistance but I am having trouble understanding which harness it is and how to actually do it.. I know I connect the tester to the battery positive and negative terminals and touch the wires and something is suppose to happen? Would the warning lamp come on after words if some connection is no good?

Basically, Im trying to find out what would be the best way to check if the bulb is no good, or if it's something else. Please excuse me, Im just starting out and trying to learn.

Thanks alot.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

swap it with a KNOWN working bulb that's next to it. IE swap it out for cruise light or seatbelt.

i'm not going to comment on running the tank dry.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Vadim-93GXE

Originally Posted by DanNY
swap it with a KNOWN working bulb that's next to it. IE swap it out for cruise light or seatbelt.

i'm not going to comment on running the tank dry.
And after I do the swap, I just wait till it's low and see if it lights up? The only way, huh?

And what do you mean you don't wanna comment on me running the tank dry? What, did I decrease the life of my engine by 50% or something?

Old 03-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Vadim-93GXE
And after I do the swap, I just wait till it's low and see if it lights up? The only way, huh?

And what do you mean you don't wanna comment on me running the tank dry? What, did I decrease the life of my engine by 50% or something?
well i guess you can do that again...
or just not let it run below the 1/4 mark??

oh and if you used the seatbelt light to swap it out and the seat belt light works after the swap then the bulb on the low fuel light works.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:46 PM
mod or sell?

my low fuel light only came on once. I still had gas in the tank, and it went off before I ran out of gas. that light is 95% worthless.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Vadim-93GXE

Damn, didn't think of that.

Anyway, great plan. Thanks. Gonna go try it out..

well i guess you can do that again...
or just not let it run below the 1/4 mark??

oh and if you used the seatbelt light to swap it out and the seat belt light works after the swap then the bulb on the low fuel light works.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Vadim-93GXE

Yeah, they aren't very accurate. But maybe they are made to just go on and off to convserve bulb life, and you ran out of gas during it's "off" phase?

Originally Posted by internetautomar
my low fuel light only came on once. I still had gas in the tank, and it went off before I ran out of gas. that light is 95% worthless.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:39 PM

Its real bad for your FP and injectors to let the car run out of gas, or even get that close. The gas acts as coolant for the electronics.

Also the switch that turns on the idiot light is located with the fuel pump. The contact on the switch can get a bit fould up. When I upgraded my pump I was able to clean the contact (which are just floating in gas) and then the light actually lite more brightly!
Old 03-07-2005, 03:19 PM

I just fill my car up when it gets to 1/4. with gas over 2.25 for 89, I cant afford to fill a tank all at once!
Old 03-08-2005, 05:55 AM
Vadim-93GXE

Now that I come to think of it, my gas gauge hasn't been very accurate.. It will be under the 1/4 mark, and will still have up to 50 miles of gas left. I was going to ask if there was a way to make this gauge a bit more accurate, but I guess I'll save that for another time. Maybe it has something to do with the warning lamp problem since it's not the bulb.

Speaking of the bulb, with Dan's help I came to the conclusion that the bulb itself is fine.. Next step please? Thanks.

Originally Posted by eric93SE
Its real bad for your FP and injectors to let the car run out of gas, or even get that close. The gas acts as coolant for the electronics.

Also the switch that turns on the idiot light is located with the fuel pump. The contact on the switch can get a bit fould up. When I upgraded my pump I was able to clean the contact (which are just floating in gas) and then the light actually lite more brightly!

Old 03-08-2005, 06:08 AM

Now that I come to think of it, my gas gauge hasn't been very accurate.. It will be under the 1/4 mark, and will still have up to 50 miles of gas left. I was going to ask if there was a way to make this gauge a bit more accurate, but I guess I'll save that for another time. Maybe it has something to do with the warning lamp problem since it's not the bulb.

Speaking of the bulb, with Dan's help I came to the conclusion that the bulb itself is fine.. Next step please? Thanks.
After fillup my gauge sits always at 3/4. Tell me how to get the gauge accurate. One way is to take it off and bend the floater arm in the tank...

Others???

Take the measuring resistor assembly off from the tank and play with the lever while watching the lamp. Most propably its the switch [as already indicated...]
Old 03-08-2005, 06:48 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

the point is that to figure out the light issue it's more trouble than it's worth. why not just keep at least 1/4 tank of gas in the car and you don't ever have to worry about the light?

if you really want to play w/ it then take the sending unit out of the tank w/ the pump and see what's going on. don't blow yourself up.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Vadim-93GXE

the point is that to figure out the light issue it's more trouble than it's worth. why not just keep at least 1/4 tank of gas in the car and you don't ever have to worry about the light?

if you really want to play w/ it then take the sending unit out of the tank w/ the pump and see what's going on. don't blow yourself up.
Yeah, I see what your saying. Big pita to fix this little problem.. So to do the procedure you mentioned I would need to take out the tank itself? Probably gonna save it for later.. Just wanna tackle this issue alone without a "mechanics" help, once it gets warmer. Speaking of weather, how do you like todays weather? It was nearly spring yesterday.. Only in NY.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

Um let's say you adjust the float so when the light comes on when there is almost NO gas left. Makes sense right? Right up to the point where you realize you are 20 miles from the nearest gas station.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:40 AM
mod or sell?

Speaking of weather, how do you like todays weather? It was nearly spring yesterday.. Only in NY.
We had 60s and snow yesterday
Old 03-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Vadim-93GXE

Yeah, sounds like a plan, but I'd have to get the light working in the first place. And I really wouldn't have to worry about being 20 miles away from a gas station, since we have one here on every corner.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Um let's say you adjust the float so when the light comes on when there is almost NO gas left. Makes sense right? Right up to the point where you realize you are 20 miles from the nearest gas station.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Vadim-93GXE

Beat ya to it.. Had that about 3 weeks ago. Today it went from rain to snow in 30 minutes.

Originally Posted by internetautomar
We had 60s and snow yesterday