3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How To Change A Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 06:59 AM

How To Change A Fuel Pump?

Hello,
I would like to know how to replace a fuel pump for a 92 Maxima SE and also where could I find one for cheap (would put one from the junk yard in your car?) My car is acting up and I changed the starter (needed that, I had to bing it to start some days) and still it was not working. The guy told me it was the fuel pump.
I think he is right because even when you press the gaz pedal it won't start.
I would appreciate any help and suggestions.
Thank you!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah i would put one in from a junkyard if they can guarantee to you that it works. As for actually putting it in im not sure, but i do believe you have to take out your back seat so you can go ahead and start working on that.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:24 AM

Wow! that far?
Thank you for the info! I found one on Ebay for $85.00 but I am not sure cause they are saying it is for performance set up. I will call the junk yard might be cheaper.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:29 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by tijkane
Hello,
I would like to know how to replace a fuel pump for a 92 Maxima SE and also where could I find one for cheap (would put one from the junk yard in your car?) My car is acting up and I changed the starter (needed that, I had to bing it to start some days) and still it was not working. The guy told me it was the fuel pump.
I think he is right because even when you press the gaz pedal it won't start.
I would appreciate any help and suggestions.
Thank you!
1) Only on carburated engines you're supposed to press the gas pedal it's called a choke.

2) Did you check you battery first. I think that it may be the battery. Have you given the battery a jump?

3) The fuel pump is electronically controlled so you shouldn't have to press the gas pedal. Is the fuel pump you're talking about is a Walbro (sp?) 255lph. On a stock car with basic bolt-ons it'll be a waste of money.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

are you 100% sure it's the fuel pump? when you put the to the "ON" position do you hear the pump prime?

the fuel pump is located under the rear seat. remove the rear seat (bottom part) and there's an access panel. pull the panel and unbolt the cover off the gas tank. once that's off then pull the pump and related stuff out...swap pump and reverse to install.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:38 AM

to change the fuel pump you have to remove your backseat...then there is a cover with four 10mm bolts (i think 10 anyway)..when you remove the cover there is eight 8mm bolts holding the fuel pump down...there is also 2 hoses connected to the pump...just loosen the hose clamps on them and push the hoses off...i used a screwdriver one time...and needle nose pliers another time...it shouldnt take more than 30 minutes to do
Old 03-11-2005, 07:48 AM

No, there is no noise coming from the fuel pump. It just started yesterday morning. The car would not start and I kept starting it and the battery went low. THe guy charged it and replaced the starter ($140.00 for a rebuilt) and still nothing.
I have to get the car to another garage because he does only starters, battery and alternators. Do you think this could be something else?

Yes, it is a walboro.Here is a link to the fuel pump on Ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 03-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Im izz sexay

Once more I will ask. Did you check your battery's voltage? If your starter was going you'll hear a grinding noise also. They screwed you out of $140. First check the battery before you go out buying all this unnecessary stuff. You said the battery went low. It's either good or dead. I assume that you atleast should try giving your car a jumpstart. Or replace/charge the battery first.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:05 AM

OK. I will have that checked first thing tomorrow.
Do you think the starter is still good? I had to bang it to start for a while now. Several times a day sometime.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:06 AM

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...P%7C%7ESTARTER

$109-$160

thats autozone price for the starter(with lifetime warranty), dont know if SE is dual overhead cam or not, but since starter is conected to trany dont know how it would make a diff. (maybe it does)

and as for your fuel pump, disconect the hose that comes from the fuel filter in your engine bay. Get a spare hose from some were or disconected the filters jose completely. Conect one end of the hose to the filter and place the other end of the hose in a 20oz bottle of what ever. crank the car. if fuel spills in the 20oz bottle then you pump is fine, and you have to diagnose the problem further.

Edit: who told you its ok to hit the starter??
Old 03-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by tijkane
OK. I will have that checked first thing tomorrow.
Do you think the starter is still good? I had to bang it to start for a while now. Several times a day sometime.
OK you killed your starter. Our starters use a PERMANENT MAGNET. Banging on it could make it go out of sync. From hearing this also I think you have a not so good battery.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:19 AM

my car wont start it started yesterday must be cuz im not hitting the starter hard enough.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:20 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by lalo
my car wont start it started yesterday must be cuz im not hitting the starter hard enough.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:30 AM

Yeah, Yeah. Whateva!
Old 03-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by VG Ill ridah
OK you killed your starter. Our starters use a PERMANENT MAGNET. Banging on it could make it go out of sync. From hearing this also I think you have a not so good battery.
nah...sounds like sticky solenoid. when you tap it the vibrations will loosen it up. but when you have to "tap" the starter to have it start...your next drive should be going to the parts store or the shop.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:37 AM
I'm needing a caw

Fuel pump replacement is described in the stickies. Autozone online. Please refer to it
Old 03-11-2005, 09:43 AM

just pull up the back seat, remove the cover for the sending unit and dive in. not too bad a swim, a tad dark in the tank though...
Old 03-11-2005, 10:02 AM
mod or sell?

don't forget to check for voltage at the pump, it's possible that the relay has gone bad.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:47 AM

I have to get the car to another garage because he does only starters, battery and alternators. Do you think this could be something else?
The guy told me it was the fuel pump.
With the info you provided and with out any further diagnosis of the pump, I dont recomend you just go out and buy a new pump. if the only thing the guys knows is starters why would he tell you your pump is bad?? Check your pump with the advise people have left behind and if it truly is bad then replace it. Dont do it cuz someone told you it was the problem if they dont know what they are talking about.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:09 AM

True!! You are totally right. I am taking it to another garage and get a second opinion.
Driving me nuts!!
I took the bus to go to work! First time in two years!
Old 03-19-2005, 08:28 AM

Threads like this are useless if you don't come back to explain the outcome. So what was the problem in the end?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:57 AM

Sorry for the slow feedback. I was out of town.
Well, it was the fuel pump. I performed the "20oz bottle" test and well nothing came out. I got the fuel pump out and replaced it!! The battery is fine I took the car to Sears to have the battery checked(where I got it).
Weather is getting better here so I am planning on spending more time on my car the next weeks. I am going to start by a tune up (oil change, air & fuel filters, coolant flush, spark plugs and so...)
Thank you for your help my Max brothers & sisters!!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:24 PM

That's interesting, I thought all of us old-school Max nerds were guys, for the most part. If my girlfriend liked to work on cars, she would already be my wife.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by maxitech
That's interesting, I thought all of us old-school Max nerds were guys, for the most part. If my girlfriend liked to work on cars, she would already be my wife.

I agree 100%
Old 03-26-2005, 11:31 AM

All my damn starting problems were due to a bad fuel pump and all this time the nosie i heard was the fuel pump.I always thought it was the power antenna.
$127,a can of powerblast,a six pack of bud light,an hour plus several trips to the bathroom later,viola:a running car.
Thank you lalo for the bottle test,haven't done that since I had an old 62 Falcon.Completly forgot about it,dunce that I am(but not dumb enough to know good advice when I hear it.)
Old 03-26-2005, 04:02 PM

To Danny or anyone who knows, how in the hell did you guys get those 8 mm bolts off? I tried to get a fuel pump from the wreckers once, but the bolts under the cover were so freakin' rusted and deformed that not even hammering on a phillips screwdriver worked (those 8 bolts have a phillips head on top). In cases like these, how the hell would you loosen the bolts? I need to know this for when MY fuel pump goes!
Old 03-26-2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Will
, how in the hell did you guys get those 8 mm bolts off?
I use something called powerblast,given enough time it frees up almost anything that rusted.Somethings require a little persuasion though.

http://www.pbblaster.com/store/morei...TOKEN=77963318