3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Replaced radiator hoses

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 10:33 AM

Replaced radiator hoses

Items needed:
lower radiator hose ($19)
upper radiator hose ($19)
upper rear coolant hose ($14)
Container for old coolant
Hose clamps ($2.50)
Long handled needle nose pliers
flathead screwdriver
10mm socket
hacksaw

On my '91 with 159k, I try to stay on top of all maintenance items as much as possible to avoid any breakdowns. With further inspection of the hoses, I noticed they were stiff and cracked a little with some squeezing. I figured there are most likely the original hoses that came on the car. I went to Nissan and picked up the right hoses.

I figured I would start on the toughest one, the lower hose. SO I jacked up the car on the front drivers side, removed the splashguard and front tire. This is where I noticed the hose clamp rusted badly going into the radiator. After trying the 10mm socked, the head of the screw broke. After cutting it with a hacksaw, this is when I had to jump into my RSX and drive to the parts store to get a few hose clamps. Once I pulled it off the radiator, I let it drain into the containter. I then removed the hose and replaced.

Upper radiator hose is pretty simple. There is one 10mm bolt that holds the hose in place next to the distributor, and another 10mm bolt that holds plugs wires which will need to be removed. Keep this hose off until the upper rear is replaced.

This upper rear that in the shape of a C is the toughest. This is held on with spring clamps and is best to remove the spring clamp holding it to the thermostat housing with long handled needlenose pliers. My scraped up my hand using regular needlenose which I managed to get off. My flathead screwdriver wedging the hose off and squeezing the spring clamp at the same time finally gave, wow, what a pain.

I put everything back together and refilled the radiator with the same fluid that came out. I then drove straight up to Jiffy Lube and got my coolant flushed with new coolant for $59. I did notice a few rust particles at the bottom of the container, so I hope my radiator isn't ruined. Now I've got more piece of mind knowing the cooling system is up to par.