3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel Economy Frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Fuel Economy Frustrations

All right. Maybe this stands out to someone, and you can give me advice.

The car is running great. I drive 40 miles to work, and 40 miles home from work. I fill up every 4 days or so. Maybe more if I'm interested in the MPG. I always use the same pump. Shell V-Power.

I changed the plugs and O2 Sensor yesterday. Gapped .040".

Here is the strangeness, I'm getting 21.4-21.8 MPG everytime I fill up. I tend to do a lot more city driving on the weekends. I still get the same. WTF? I should be getting way better milage on the freeway. I'm just a little frustrated because I'm driving to Texas on Thursday and I'd sure as hell love to get more the 21MPG on the way down there.

I'm changing the oil on weds w/ 5w-30 Castrol GTX and the Toyota filter. I'm also going to do the fuel filter then. Any other thoughts on why my milage isn't changing?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:52 PM
mod or sell?

how fast are you driving on the "freeway"
Old 03-21-2005, 04:59 PM

80 tops. Average about 75mph. Speed limit is 70mph.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:09 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Yea you should but... This is a 15 yr. old car your driving. Most of the sensors,emission control parts have got a lot of years on them.I found lot of green crap[corrosion}on almost all of the sensor plug ends.{i.e tps,vtc's,egr,etc...}So i cleaned all the connectors with a soft brass bristle brush and that help a lot with
running of the car. Maybe that will help your mileage problem
Old 03-21-2005, 05:36 PM

^------what mygreenmax94 talks of is ganggreen for the car.....when treated early it is very curable.......
Old 03-21-2005, 05:40 PM

it could be the type of gas you are using.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the advice on corrosion. I'll keep an eye out, but most everything has looked okay that I've checked.

It could be the gas.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Alex_V

Try Mobil if you've got it. Should give a little more power and maybe a little better mpg.

~Alex

Old 03-21-2005, 08:45 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Only two things for me to note... both by someone else. Here are a couple of links that you may find interesting. The first, Your Car's Fuel Economy , lets you know what the fuel economy "specs" are for your car. The second, The Justification of These Numbers , lets you know how they come up with these seemingly arbitrary numbers. Note the average test speed. Obviously, you are going almost twice this speed in overdrive which should equate to about twice the rpm's. Give or take some. Think about that.

FYI. I have a 93 Maxima SE which runs superb. I feed it Chevron Premium 93 and maintain it better than Nissan's scheduling. I, like you I'm sure, drive with an extremely heavy right foot. I get 21-23 mpg.... always. Highway or city. I was a little upset at not getting any higher until I found how they obtained fuel economy. Now, I'm just fine with my mileage. If I wanted better, I'd buy a stupid Honda.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:03 PM

We'll I'm in "sticker" shock over how much this is costing me. I just got rid of my ol' "stupid honda" for my Max has been awesome. I love this car. It's just expensive. I was at one tank a week, now I'm at two tanks a week. So I'm just hoping to squeez what I can out of my Max. I love it. I'm sure if this is all that I get, I'll get used to it. But at least for now, I'm going to do what I can. If it takes driving 60 MPH than I'll take a slower way to work maybe. But those stats do make me feel somewhat better.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:12 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by fuzzyuu
We'll I'm in "sticker" shock over how much this is costing me. I just got rid of my ol' "stupid honda" for my Max has been awesome. I love this car. It's just expensive. I was at one tank a week, now I'm at two tanks a week. So I'm just hoping to squeez what I can out of my Max. I love it. I'm sure if this is all that I get, I'll get used to it. But at least for now, I'm going to do what I can. If it takes driving 60 MPH than I'll take a slower way to work maybe. But those stats do make me feel somewhat better.

Thanks for the info.
Your welcome. And for the record... my last car was a stupid Honda I "squeezed" 38-40 mpg from. It was while I was in Boston, driving in traffic for three to four hours a day. You need a Civic in that kind of commute. Especially with the inflated fuel prices. Maximas still win, though.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:10 PM

Gas & Go

I have both a 1990 Maxima and a 1999 I30. I run synthetic and 92-93 octane in both. The Infiniti gets better mileage, but not by much. Running 75-80 mph I expect between 24-28 mpg. The absolute most important thing you can do is keep the air preasure in the tires up. Changing from dyno to synthetic gave me 2.5 mpg in both cars, the air preasure never has been an issue.
At 2.5 mpg that translates to 25 additional miles per 10 gallons of gas. The Infiniti consistently gets 27.5 mpg, so that is $2.45 at current prices every 275 miles. Divide 275 miles into 3000, and the results is a little better than 10. Ten times $2.45 (self serve super unleaded) is $24.50, so you have paid for the oil change in fuel savings over the life of the oil. Now take it to 5000 miles...how much did you save running synthetic instead of conventional oil?
(Quick math-275 into 5000 is $44.55 <rounded up> bassed on averages)
Oh, one other thing...
Running lower octane fuel in the Infiniti, mileage was about 18-19. My wife decided last summer, she was absolutely not going to pay for the "good stuff". She drove the car from Waco to Tulsa and had to refuel on I44 just north of Okalhoma CIty. She called me and told me my car was a gas hog...I asked her if she had run premium in it, she said she had not and would not...I asked her to just try one tank...I convinced her to "filler up" with some 93 octane Shell V-Power. She went from Tulsa to Omaha on just one tank (426 miles...@27.9 mpg). That is just slighly farther than Waco to Tulsa...
The relatively small difference in fuel costs at the pump is measurable in the long run by calculating how much your differential in mileage is between 87 and 92 octane gas. A friend of mine was getting ready to get rid of a 2002 Frontier because it was only getting 14mpg. I asked if he were burning premium (he wasn't) and I told him it would make a noticable improvement. Two weeks later, he and his schoolteacher tighwad wife had figured out spending the extra 18 to 30 cents per gallon was really paying off...big. Instead of fueling every four days, he is now fueling every six, an using less then he was over the same "tank range".
Said he had no idea it could mean 5 mpg ON A TRUCK.
It even helped the 1990 Maxima to burn at least 89 octane...
Old 03-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Way out West

The biggest factor with these cars for getting good mpg is keeping your foot out of it.

I can get 30 mpg on the freeway in mine. I have been between 28-30 on several trips 2 hours or more, but I set the cruise and leave it. Around town, it's quite a bit lower.

I always use Chevron or Shell premium, my tires are inflated properly and I have synthetic oil and synthetic gear oil.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Your welcome. And for the record... my last car was a stupid Honda I "squeezed" 38-40 mpg from. It was while I was in Boston, driving in traffic for three to four hours a day. You need a Civic in that kind of commute. Especially with the inflated fuel prices. Maximas still win, though.
I was just givin ya a hard time. I loved my Honda. It was an awesome car. 87 accord. But just didn't have what I needed for the commute.

Originally Posted by kblast523
I have both a 1990 Maxima and a 1999 I30. I run synthetic and 92-93 octane in both. The Infiniti gets better mileage, but not by much. Running 75-80 mph I expect between 24-28 mpg. The absolute most important thing you can do is keep the air preasure in the tires up. Changing from dyno to synthetic gave me 2.5 mpg in both cars, the air preasure never has been an issue.
At 2.5 mpg that translates to 25 additional miles per 10 gallons of gas. The Infiniti consistently gets 27.5 mpg, so that is $2.45 at current prices every 275 miles. Divide 275 miles into 3000, and the results is a little better than 10. Ten times $2.45 (self serve super unleaded) is $24.50, so you have paid for the oil change in fuel savings over the life of the oil. Now take it to 5000 miles...how much did you save running synthetic instead of conventional oil?
(Quick math-275 into 5000 is $44.55 <rounded up> bassed on averages)
Oh, one other thing...
Running lower octane fuel in the Infiniti, mileage was about 18-19. My wife decided last summer, she was absolutely not going to pay for the "good stuff". She drove the car from Waco to Tulsa and had to refuel on I44 just north of Okalhoma CIty. She called me and told me my car was a gas hog...I asked her if she had run premium in it, she said she had not and would not...I asked her to just try one tank...I convinced her to "filler up" with some 93 octane Shell V-Power. She went from Tulsa to Omaha on just one tank (426 miles...@27.9 mpg). That is just slighly farther than Waco to Tulsa...
The relatively small difference in fuel costs at the pump is measurable in the long run by calculating how much your differential in mileage is between 87 and 92 octane gas. A friend of mine was getting ready to get rid of a 2002 Frontier because it was only getting 14mpg. I asked if he were burning premium (he wasn't) and I told him it would make a noticable improvement. Two weeks later, he and his schoolteacher tighwad wife had figured out spending the extra 18 to 30 cents per gallon was really paying off...big. Instead of fueling every four days, he is now fueling every six, an using less then he was over the same "tank range".
Said he had no idea it could mean 5 mpg ON A TRUCK.
It even helped the 1990 Maxima to burn at least 89 octane...
I hear ya. That's why I've been running 93 V-Power in my car... accept... I put 90 BP/Amoco w/ Techron in and got almost 24mpg. But I'm worried about doing that too much. Anyway, as I said before Just trying to get better milage and picking EVERYONE's brain. When I head down to TX on thurs I'm looking forward to pouring over this beast with my best bud from college. (One of those physics/eng./mechanic types. Good with this kinda stuff.) BTW, I drove a '98 I30 while I was waiting to purchase my Max and I know what my next "low milage budget car" will be in a couple of years!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
The biggest factor with these cars for getting good mpg is keeping your foot out of it.

I can get 30 mpg on the freeway in mine. I have been between 28-30 on several trips 2 hours or more, but I set the cruise and leave it. Around town, it's quite a bit lower.

I always use Chevron or Shell premium, my tires are inflated properly and I have synthetic oil and synthetic gear oil.
I have to admit. I'm not 100% sure that the tires are where they should be. I've checked them "hot" a couple of times, and they are at 35+ PSI so I thought they were fine, but I'm gonna check em first thing in the morning, cold.

But once again, the wierdest part. It doesn't matter, freeway or not, 21mpg. I use cruise. I can't afford to stomp on this thing. Otherwise I wouldn't be....

Old 03-22-2005, 06:06 AM

checked them cold this morning. 35psi on all four. FYI, standard size Goodyear Eagle GT's.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by fuzzyuu
checked them cold this morning. 35psi on all four. FYI, standard size Goodyear Eagle GT's.
Measurement errors in one car, between cars, are GReAT:

Many things follow tire pressure, heres some:
- high press, tire diameter grows, collect less miles to the gauge per gallon (1-3% ?)
- Overall tire height (1-10% collected mileage error)
- higher press, less rolling resistance (1% ? better)

Filling tank:
- gas station: car tilt might mean 1-2gal difference between fillups
- who/how is filling (same error)
- gasstation criminally tuned chips... u dont get what u pay.

Then theres the Rust factor: LeaKing...

Whatever is mpg, I fear that the first five miles are terriblese 5mpg.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Alex_V

Now that I think about it some times I can fill it up, and just stomp on it almost every light, and generaly drive a little fast (or at least accel hard) and I still get 250+ per tank, and some times I do the same and I get like 200 per tank. And when I let off and go easy I get 300 easy. Think I need to replace some sensors or just try 93? I really dont mind gas prices (though they are 50 cents above when i was driving just a few weeks ago) I just dont enjoy 15mpg. 20+ is fine.

~Alex

Old 03-22-2005, 07:58 AM
mod or sell?

to those with automatics, we don't get overdrive till we're doing roughly 60mph.
so if you're doing 55 on the expressway you'll get worse mileage than if you're doing 65.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
to those with automatics, we don't get overdrive till we're doing roughly 60mph.
so if you're doing 55 on the expressway you'll get worse mileage than if you're doing 65.
My overdive comes on at ? 20, gearlock engages after 10miles warmup at 50mph ...only on steady gas.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:22 PM
mod or sell?

no it doesn't. overdrive is a seperate gear.
if you want to know the specifics of speed do a search cause i've posted it before
Old 03-22-2005, 01:06 PM

well my automatic doesnt work like that. if im cruisin at 55 then go to 65 i wont shift, because im already in O/D.
if my car is warmed up I will get od to kick in around 35-40 roughly not 60. im not saying yours doesnt kick in at 60, but MINE will kick in at 35-40.....depending on my driving.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
well my automatic doesnt work like that. if im cruisin at 55 then go to 65 i wont shift, because im already in O/D.
if my car is warmed up I will get od to kick in around 35-40 roughly not 60. im not saying yours doesnt kick in at 60, but MINE will kick in at 35-40.....depending on my driving.

...And playing with O/D switch will change gear.

Starting/cruising from flat road, changes gear four times as speed is aroun 20mph. And playing with O/D at 20mph switch will change gear up/down. This is how 'life goes' in my max.

The TCU makes those gear change decisions based on few inputs; if they're giving input signal above trigger level, TCU output changes accordingly. As all inputs vary, cars do behave differently. Completely other issue is what should be considered normal.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:28 AM
mod or sell?

Don't forget that the lockup system feels like you are shifting gears sometimes even when you are not.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:40 AM

Don't forget that the lockup system feels like you are shifting gears sometimes even when you are not.

My oldie: Just verified steady drive: maybe its 25mph but not 30: playing OD on/off, switches gear and the OD dash light accordingly... Lock comes on at higway speeds, after loooonG warmup.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:48 AM

Overdrive will come on at 25 mph if you are not accelerating...
Old 03-23-2005, 10:29 AM
mod or sell?

Let me make one thing absofreakinglutely clear
you do not know what the f\/ck you are talking about
You are diseminating false information and
damaging the reputation of this board!

At shift speeds
is the list of when the transmission shifts
AT Lock up speeds
is the list of when lock up can occur

now sit down close your mouth and learn something.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:29 AM

Tell that to my max. It will start crying...

Still thist is the way wiking line works... http://www.vikingline.se/
Old 03-23-2005, 12:45 PM

Let me make one thing absofreakinglutely clear
you do not know what the f\/ck you are talking about
You are diseminating false information and
damaging the reputation of this board!

At shift speeds
is the list of when the transmission shifts
AT Lock up speeds
is the list of when lock up can occur

now sit down close your mouth and learn something.
Dude you got issues.. insisting that you are always correct and getting livid when people prove you wrong.. then locking up threads because your argument is WEAK....

Read your own crap that you post... and take a look at your stats before trying to back up a pointless argument... notice 'full throttle' and 'half throttle' take a wild guess what happens when you are at 'low throttle' ???? ----> shift to OD... duh!!
Old 03-23-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

He has no ability to lock threads. Nor was his argument weak. Only the hp of the stock 5.0 at the time was weak

Originally Posted by 92SE_Dave
Dude you got issues.. insisting that you are always correct and getting livid when people prove you wrong.. then locking up threads because your argument is WEAK....

Read your own crap that you post... and take a look at your stats before trying to back up a pointless argument... notice 'full throttle' and 'half throttle' take a wild guess what happens when you are at 'low throttle' ???? ----> shift to OD... duh!!
Old 03-23-2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
He has no ability to lock threads. Nor was his argument weak. Only the hp of the stock 5.0 at the time was weak
Oh so you want to start this argument again.. I thought it was pretty clear...
Ok let me ask you.. exactly which year was it that the Maxima was faster than the Mustang ???

And btw a 1-2 second difference we see between Maxima and 5.0's 1/4 mile times is not 'close' as you said in another thread.. that is a HUUGE difference.

I'll post my stock 5.0 14.32 s quarter timeslip once I have a chance... I didn't see any Maximas on the other thread even approach this.. yet they are faster ??
Old 03-23-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

Not all diff are 1-2 sec for the 1/4 mile. Only the fastest LX version. The fact that's even close is a shame. BTW it's hard to find exact years as all the sites for Ford seem to conveniently not include some times.

But let's take a 1995 maxima and a 1994 mustang gt. 6.6 / 15.2 vs 6.9 / 15.1 I mean really

Don't bother posting your times. If I'm interested, there are 15,000 mustang sites I can refer to.

It's just an interesting comparison.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:18 PM

Not all diff are 1-2 sec for the 1/4 mile. Only the fastest LX version. The fact that's even close is a shame. BTW it's hard to find exact years as all the sites for Ford seem to conveniently not include some times.

But let's take a 1995 maxima and a 1994 mustang gt. 6.6 / 15.2 vs 6.9 / 15.1 I mean really

Don't bother posting your times. If I'm interested, there are 15,000 mustang sites I can refer to.

It's just an interesting comparison.
Yes those years seem close (Mustang still slightly faster though...).. probably about the closest you'll find the 2 cars for a similar year. I don't see how it is a shame that a particualar car to you seems only a bit faster.. ?? What shameful ?? The fact that Ford built a long lasting powerful motor ?? Fox 5.0's get almost as good mileage as a Maxima... yet they are considerably faster for most years ?? Why is this shameful ?? Would this not mean *gasp*.. that the Mustang has a better power / mpg ratio ??
Old 03-23-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

Because Ford could only coax about 220hp out of a 5.0 liter V8 in the early 90s. Nissan was getting 190hp and nearly the same 1/4 time with their 3.0 V6 in a heavy 4-door sedan. And Nissan was getting 280 hp in 1989 out of their V8 in 4.1 liter form.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:29 PM

Because Ford could only coax about 220hp out of a 5.0 liter V8 in the early 90s. Nissan was getting 190hp and nearly the same 1/4 time with their 3.0 V6 in a heavy 4-door sedan. And Nissan was getting 280 hp in 1989 out of their V8 in 4.1 liter form.

That's just it... 14.5s 1/4 times on stock 87-93 (5.0L) mustangs is NOT AT ALL CLOSE to the 15.5 - 17 second times we see on stock Maximas for the same year. There is no comparison here.

Again... you're trying to win your argument by completely diverting the topic to hp/L ratio etc.... this was all started by someone saying Maximas are faster, which they are not. There is nothing to argue about.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm needing a caw

That's just it... 14.5s 1/4 times on stock 87-93 (5.0L) mustangs is NOT AT ALL CLOSE to the 15.5 - 17 second times we see on stock Maximas for the same year. There is no comparison here.
The VE 5-sp is more like a 6.7 0-60 15.0 flat 1/4 mile. As one mag as tested. And you are choosing ONLY the fastest ones. Use all the convertible 5.0 mustangs and gets worse.

Again... you're trying to win your argument by completely diverting the topic to hp/L ratio etc.... this was all started by someone saying Maximas are faster, which they are not. There is nothing to argue about.
On the whole, the mustangs are quicker by a small margin. Are we supposed to be impressed? The convertible 5.0 mustangs were worse yet. Is that when I'm supposed to be impressed?

Okay let's take the liter out of it and compare a 1989 Nissan V8 and a 1989 Ford 5.0 mustang V8. Even though there's almost a liter difference, I'll give it to you. The Nissan put out ~280hp The Ford put out 220hp?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:53 PM

The VE 5-sp is more like a 6.7 0-60 15.0 flat 1/4 mile. As one mag as tested. And you are choosing ONLY the fastest ones. Use all the convertible 5.0 mustangs and gets worse.

On the whole, the mustangs are quicker by a small margin. Are we supposed to be impressed? The convertible 5.0 mustangs were worse yet. Is that when I'm supposed to be impressed?

Okay let's take the liter out of it and compare a 1989 Nissan V8 and a 1989 Ford 5.0 mustang V8. Even though there's almost a liter difference, I'll give it to you. The Nissan put out ~280hp The Ford put out 220hp?
Look I'm not trying to impress you or don't want to even bother arguing with you.. FINALLY you've grudginly admitted that Mustangs are faster (you've obvisouly never dirven a nice Fox5.0 if you have you'd probably **** your pants if you think a Maxima is fast...). This is all I was arguing... no hp/L ratio.. no Nissan V8's (which most are broken by now..).

Thanks.. you can stop now.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm needing a caw

Look I'm not trying to impress you or don't want to even bother arguing with you.. FINALLY you've grudginly admitted that Mustangs are faster
SOME are faster. That's about it.

(you've obvisouly never dirven a nice Fox5.0 if you have you'd probably **** your pants if you think a Maxima is fast...).
Nope. But I've driven my two bro's 1965 stock 289 and my other bro's modded 1967 fastback. I don't think I'd be shatting my pants driving a stock 5.0. Especially when my friend gave me a ride in his 429 AC Cobra kit car.

This is all I was arguing... no hp/L ratio.. no Nissan V8's (which most are broken by now..).
I guess after realizing that the Nissan V8 made more hp, that's the only thing you can say (however uneducated it was) (and however IRONIC it is)
Old 03-23-2005, 02:12 PM

SOME are faster. That's about it.

Nope. But I've driven my two bro's 1965 stock 289 and my other bro's modded 1967 fastback. I don't think I'd be shatting my pants driving a stock 5.0. Especially when my friend gave me a ride in his 429 AC Cobra kit car.

I guess after realizing that the Nissan V8 made more hp, that's the only thing you can say (however uneducated it was) (and however IRONIC it is)
If some means 95% then yes you are correct.

Yay your brother had an old slow mustang... hope he didn't drop too many G's into them.

We aren't talking about the Nissan V8... what does this have to do with anything...?? After realizing it made more Hp ?? what are you talking about.. you brought a completely different car/engine into the argument.. for .. ?? there tonnes of motors that make more horsepower than either one... You really are out to lunch buddy...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm needing a caw

Buhaha. I'd take either one of those classics than what ford came up with during the late 80s/early 90s.

If you mean some of the V8s and 95% of the V6 mustangs... I agree.

I just stated the power of the 5.0 of that time is unimpressive and I stated exactly why I felt that way. Sorry if it offends.

If some means 95% then yes you are correct.

Yay your brother had an old slow mustang... hope he didn't drop too many G's into them.

We aren't talking about the Nissan V8... what does this have to do with anything...?? After realizing it made more Hp ?? what are you talking about.. you brought a completely different car/engine into the argument.. for .. ?? there tonnes of motors that make more horsepower than either one... You really are out to lunch buddy...

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy Frustrations