3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cold Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:17 AM

Cold Air Intake?

Can anyone help me with links to getting a cold air intake for my 1990 nissan maxima?....................I've seen for 1994 but but looks like it was a DOHC and mine is the SOHC(GXE),was wondering if there was any compatability.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm needing a caw

Contact Piggie Racing

j/k scroll down the threads
Old 03-23-2005, 12:10 PM
mod or sell?

oooh that was bad
Old 03-23-2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ganjahbaby7
Can anyone help me with links to getting a cold air intake for my 1990 nissan maxima?....................I've seen for 1994 but but looks like it was a DOHC and mine is the SOHC(GXE),was wondering if there was any compatability.
Cold air intake just means intake from not in front of the motor so that it doesn't get pre-heated by the motor and radiator, and the Maxima already has this stock.

Anything advertised as cold air intake is probably a waste of money. The only real sort of power adder would be a forced air intake or a larger throttle body, and the forced air intake is only effective once you are moving pretty fast, meant more for racing.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

Actually since the plastic airbox and filter sit in the hot engine bay, it heats up the air.

When I drive my car, park and then open the hood, all my CAI piping is cold to the touch. Try touching your airbox etc.. next time.

Then again I have used both but what do I know
Old 03-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Way out West

The stock one on the VE doesn't actually pull in cold air. If you take it apart, notice the tube running down is solid. I think the biggest factor is going to be bringing in more air. The stock one is somewhat restrictive compared to even a pop charger.

For the VG, I think there is a way to modify a certain ebay one designed for accords. I recommend donating some money and doing a search. I am sure there are guys with VG intakes.

One of these days I am going to finish installing the one you made, Jeff

I was holding out to buy some silicon red couplers from Berk Technologies, I have just been too busy with other stuff. I have only driven the Maxima about 20 miles in the last three weeks.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually since the plastic airbox and filter sit in the hot engine bay, it heats up the air.

When I drive my car, park and then open the hood, all my CAI piping is cold to the touch. Try touching your airbox etc.. next time.

Then again I have used both but what do I know
How does the CAI piping route from air pick-up to intake manifold ?

Is there any forced air induction ?

Is there noticeable performance gains ?

How much does it cost ?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by 92SE_Dave
How does the CAI piping route from air pick-up to intake manifold ?
Directly below the D-side headlight

Is there any forced air induction ?
Nope. Any area that will allow this will probably allow water to go there too. Not safe. Unless you do some type of muscle car cowl induction thing. Hood scoop anyone?

Is there noticeable performance gains ?
While it's cold? Not really. But while it's hot, the peformance doesn't suffer nearly as much

How much does it cost ?
I custom made mine and made some for a few others.

You can buy one made by Cattman, Warpspeed or some cheap ebay CAIs. But you have to cut a hole near your battery tray. I didn't like doing that as the filter gets dirty from being so close to the wheel/fender liner. Mine stays way cleaner
Old 03-23-2005, 02:28 PM

Directly below the D-side headlight

Nope. Any area that will allow this will probably allow water to go there too. Not safe. Unless you do some type of muscle car cowl induction thing. Hood scoop anyone?

While it's cold? Not really. But while it's hot, the peformance doesn't suffer nearly as much

I custom made mine and made some for a few others.

You can buy one made by Cattman, Warpspeed or some cheap ebay CAIs. But you have to cut a hole near your battery tray. I didn't like doing that as the filter gets dirty from being so close to the wheel/fender liner. Mine stays way cleaner
But how does it route to the intake without coming close enough to the motor to be heated like the stock air box ?

btw Jeff... i think it's hilarious how you lock threads every time you get owned...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

But how does it route to the intake without coming close enough to the motor to be heated like the stock air box ?
Any intake you have must route to the throttle body. But the filter is well away from the engine. Like I said, I drive open hood, touch pipes = cold

I don't care if you believe me or not. Do what you want.

btw Jeff... i think it's hilarious how you lock threads every time you get owned...
Owned? Hardly. But why continue? Too easy to get you all worked up about a V8 that could put out a bit more than Nissan's v6. And alot less than Nissan's V8.

Leave it at that. Or donate $20 and we can argue in OT all day.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:50 PM

Any intake you have must route to the throttle body. But the filter is well away from the engine. Like I said, I drive open hood, touch pipes = cold

I don't care if you believe me or not. Do what you want.

Owned? Hardly. But why continue? Too easy to get you all worked up about a V8 that could put out a bit more than Nissan's v6. And alot less than Nissan's V8.

Leave it at that. Or donate $20 and we can argue in OT all day.
man you are touchy! I'm just asking serious questions about the cold air intake and your getting all up in a knot over it. i do believe most of what you say... obviously any intake must route to the throttle body.... that's why I was asking how it gets there without being preheated, since the routing of the stock intake is already about as far from the motor as possible.. but I see what you were probably trying to say (poorly...) that by moving the filter box further away it should theorertically help since the semi-stagnant air before the filter would not be exposed to as much heating.

i wasn't getting worked up.. i was stating facts and you were replying by changing the subject and eventually locking the thread... i very well may pay $20 as I like this site, I am a Maxima enthusiast, and would like to contribute to a site that has already given me many useful ideas (like KS bypasss for example) to help improve how my Maxima runs.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Way out West

The air that comes in through Jeff's intake design is from the FRONT of the car and BELOW the engine. Where the stock intake is and where a pop charger intake sits, the air is warm, since it is near the TOP of the engine and is much closer to the rear. The warm air from the engine sits right there, minus what you get from that tiny little tube that runs up next to the battery, which can't bring in anywhere near the amount of cool air you can get by mounting a large cone filter down below.

Like Jeff said, the Place racing, Cattman and ebay CAIs also work by taking in air from lower (cooler), but they are more exposed to dirt from the wheel area. All do a much better job than the stock intake at bringing in cooler air than can be found directly inside the engine bay through the stock filter.

Also, the KS bypass should be used only as a temporary measure until you can replace the KS. I wouldn't risk ruining your engine on the chance that you get some crappy gas somewhere.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

firstly the semi-stagnate air that is pulled in is hardly stagnate (wouldn't the intake be choking for air if it were sealed?)at all since when you are driving there is constant air movement in every compartment,yes there is probably a temperature change when it comes in but not one that is terribly noticeable. also the proximity of the piping to engine and that causing the air to heat up quicker is based on the premise that the air is setting in the pipe for a duration long enough for its temperature to be raised a substantial amount(which it is not).
Old 03-23-2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by 92graymax
firstly the semi-stagnate air that is pulled in is hardly stagnate (wouldn't the intake be choking for air if it were sealed?)at all since when you are driving there is constant air movement in every compartment,yes there is probably a temperature change when it comes in but not one that is terribly noticeable. also the proximity of the piping to engine and that causing the air to heat up quicker is based on the premise that the air is setting in the pipe for a duration long enough for its temperature to be raised a substantial amount(which it is not).
Yeah... thats sort of what I'm thinking... seems sort of like a waste of money.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Yeah... thats sort of what I'm thinking... seems sort of like a waste of money.

well I guess it just depends on how much you can find one for. I got mine for around $40 shipped and really like it. Mine is the kind that goes into the inner fender. I think the main thing about the CAI is the larger tubing which allows more air in.

I think I felt a small gain but its nothing major and may be just my imagination. I sounds really good though lol.

To me it wasnt a waste of money though. It looks 10 times better than the stock box (my CAI is polished aluminum) and also gets rid of all that junk so you have a little more room in the engine bay.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:51 PM

yeah i would say that i also felt a small gain but more than anything the sound is the kicker. i also think that the larger piping might reduce the strain on the engine to suck in more air.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

hehe. Nice intake. Thanks for the props on your page. I would normally agree but the airbox still gets pretty hot. I would think if the air inside the engine bay was always moving, the airbox and pipe wouldn't be warm/hot to the touch.

I know you experienced the same as me. Drive around and open the hood an touch the pipe. Alot colder. But let it sit, and then the pipes really heat up. So the first gulp of air is REALLY hot in hai or stock airbox.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:31 PM

i'm just spitballing here but i think that maybe the reason that the stock intake box feels warmer is due to the material(plastic) and the fact that it does not dissapate the heat as easily as the the metal CAI does, i wonder if i were to open the box right after a drive and feel the inside if it would be cooler than the outside(act as an insulater perhapse?), also the walls of the cai may act as a quasi-heatsink with the air running over it as it is sucked into the engine, thus cooling the cai more and more as more air being sucked in?
Old 03-23-2005, 10:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

Don't know. But I do know that when the rad fans are on, it just blows hot air everywhere and that's where the stock airbox is picking up it's air. How long have you had your cai done? I stopped selling these because I just knew everyone would just copy it. No biggie.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
Also, the KS bypass should be used only as a temporary measure until you can replace the KS. I wouldn't risk ruining your engine on the chance that you get some crappy gas somewhere.
It's a risk I am willing, able and looking forward to taking. Hell I've been taking the risk for over a week and the results have been great. This is my long-term solution to the problem.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:48 PM

Hood scoop anyone?
Working on that. I'm currently talking with NIN autosports about getting one made. The airbox is easy enough.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:58 PM

i've had my cai done since about mid august. but i just recently painted and cleared it. i think that the rad fans dont play too big of a role becuase they intake tube for the stock box comes out to the side of them and since they are so close to the rad they pull out most of the hot air (originating from the rad)in the front(behind the grille) this leaves means that the other air that is up there is not quit as hot...tell me if this makes any sense:

i realize that warm air will still reach the intake but how much is the real question. i have some pretty cool temp sensor that we use here at school sometime i'll lay one out in the engine bay at diff. spots and see what the temp is at diff speeds and such.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

I know when I had my head inside the engine bay and the fans turned on, I thought I was in an oven.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:04 PM

CAI might have some edge from idle. But driving, its all CAI inside engine bay. Any performance edge is pure bs, sorry. Nobody can back up such arguments with measured facts - on the same vehicle in in equal measurments. Ambient temp inside engine bay is plus/minus one degree diffrence - OVER 30mph.

Anybody arguing this: PLEASE buy first few temp gauges, make measurments, build a table and represent here. I have done that with 10 sensor gauge...

There is a edge on high flow tubings/filters to stcok. BUT THAT IS NOT connected to CAI phenomena...

Full throttle airspeed nears sound speed, nothing can warm/cool air at that speed. Except huge intercoolers... Sorry boys.

Read my rotten brain opinion here: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/2

Old 03-23-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

So you have some dynos on that?
Old 03-23-2005, 11:10 PM

WarMing: if one should be afraid of air warming on lesser airflow, one would block all heating (some 70kW) to the intake. THAT is the biggest waster in maxima when air temp is the question.

Scoops? Oops, nice, but thats all, like roses. If full throttle airspeed is 500 and scoop speed is 70, that works as a choke joke.

Heated air:

see: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/8
Old 03-23-2005, 11:14 PM

So you have some dynos on that?

Who needs dyno vinyl hp????

All I need power WHILE DRIVING... make ROADtests 30-100mph.

Please. This ist the 100x time I explain this: DO DO DO the air temp measurements; then build THE temp TABLE OF 1 HOUR drive. Then talkabout it...
Old 03-23-2005, 11:16 PM

wiking: i agree that more than anything the cai gives a advantage in the volume of air it supplies and when driving i think that the air in the engine would be constantly circulated thus lowering the temp.

Jeff: i understand about fealing the temp of the engine bay w/ the fan blowing and how hot it is however i dont know how much that would effect the air flowing through the airbox if its outer shell were designed to act as an insulator and hold the heat away from the airflow, i'll try to ask my chem prof. about his tomorrow and if it is plausable.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:21 PM

winking: i agree that more than anything the cai gives a advantage in the volume of air it ...

All the the time all the forum mixes roses with hoses:

C-old

A-ir

I-ntake

COLD = COLD. Nothing to do with airflow. NOTHING to do with airflow. (All to do with temp and/or insulation from heat.)

Now biznezmen use this as a marketing tool, that is ok. But dont fool forum uself about CAI.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:28 PM

i'm confused are u saying that the cai does provide cooler denser air? because i thought u said that the temp would be pretty much the same all around the compartment?

also about the cai, the cai has a larger path for the air to flow thru thus reducing the strain to get more air (lowers the pressure as the diameter increases) like sucking air thru a larger diameter straw requires less force than a smaller diameter straw.

tell me if i misunderstood u.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:31 PM

also the insulation was refering to the stock airbox temp that jeff was talking about.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm needing a caw

Actually this conversation was done a few years ago. Temp probes and everything. The air inside the engine bay does cool down when moving over 30mph or something. But I still designed/buit my custom cai anyway. I like the long tube design (ie.. long tube headers vs shortie style). And the fact at a light or low speeds, the cai will be taking in a shot of near ambient temp air vs hot engine air. Also during the summer months, I don't notice nearly as much performance variances vs the winter months. Important for me as I'm using the JWT ecu and 91 octane gas.

Dave B who owns a 4-gen, has tried more versions than all of us combined and has extensively 1/4'd his car. The setup he uses is what I use.

Take it for what you will
Old 03-23-2005, 11:51 PM

i'm confused are u saying that the cai does provide cooler denser air? because i thought u said that the temp would be pretty much the same all around the compartment?

also about the cai, the cai has a larger path for the air to flow thru thus reducing the strain to get more air (lowers the pressure as the diameter increases) like sucking air thru a larger diameter straw requires less force than a smaller diameter straw.

tell me if i misunderstood u.
CAI is marketing gimmick terminology. (Dont mix: most marketed systems do give better performance compared to stock)

Read my web pag as suggested.

Cold air is denser, contains more oxygen molecules per measure. That is what ALL want to have.

While driving, engine compartment is about the same as all ambient air. Of course air ½inch from exhaust its hotter. But generally no difference because of the volume of inrushing air from down under.

Opening intake increases power up to a point: that does not have nothing to do with AIR temp. Car is an instrument that has to be balanced. If intake is big, engine air routes have to be big, exhaust have to be big (generalization) to have max HP. I would write two days on all nuances; pls google engine tuning...

...And then some CO nerds here say I use drugs, so dont believe me, test all, keep that what is good.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:59 PM

Actually this conversation was done a few years ago. Temp probes and everything. ...Take it for what you will
If so, would 5$ temp gauge installment to intake airflow then be about high time?

Just to measure exactly yourself (no hearsay or feelings)?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:01 AM
I'm needing a caw

It's been done before. Why do it again?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:08 AM

i never said that air temp was related to the size of the intake i guess we just misunderstood each other. and yes the more dense the air is (more moles) the more moles of the hydro-carbon (aka gasoline)that they are able to react with thus more force(yes to a point not infinitely speaking).
Old 03-24-2005, 12:12 AM

Sounds like this subject has been pinned up for some time...

As for the hoodscoop, here's the style I'm trying to get.

It's originally a gauge pod... but I love how the opening is designed. I might have to end up doing it myself. NIN is being a little uncooperative about it.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:12 AM
I'm needing a caw

Found Dave's post:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=137

Thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....3&page=5&pp=30

Should not have closed the resonator box either:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott...resonator.html

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott...rsAcoustic.htm

Again, use what you guys think is right. I put my stock resonated mid pipe back on and like it. 92graymax is using this too (still I hope)
Old 03-24-2005, 12:18 AM

thanks for the links, yeah i still have my res. midpipe on.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:31 AM

I still have mine as well. I just got a new mid pipe from Mr. Gone. I wonder how loud it'll be. My setup now is pretty loud.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake?