3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

insurance policies.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 04:29 PM

insurance policies.....

i will be a new driver in July, cant wait to drive the maxima. i live in new jersey, the car is white, it is a 1991 se, i took driving school, what will my insurance be??? does anyone know a ballpark of how much it would be???? what insurance company hasnt let you down and has cheap prices that will take people my age??? so please thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Way out West

Do you have a phone and a phone book?

Start calling up insurance companies and see who has the best deal.

You might have to be on your parents insurance, anyway, since them adding you to their policy is often times cheaper than getting your own. If this is the case, ask them to call their agent.

I called about 12 different companies to see which one had the best coverage. I tried to shy away from the shady companies (ones without local agents). I ended up getting American Family Insurance. They had the best rates and my agent is great. I haven't had any problems and I have been with them for about seven or eight years now.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:32 PM

NJ insurance is so expensive but i think ur best bet is to go on ur parents insurance like ^^ he said.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just get liability, that will save alot of money within itself. You could drive a Bently or a Pinto and liability insurance is the same price. The reason it is the same price is because since the insurance isnt covering your car, and they dont know who you are going to wreck into, it cant be any more expensive.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:20 PM

for going to driving school, you will get about 200 dollars discount, if you can prove that you are a good student i.e 3.0 GPA if you're in college, or at least A's and B's if you're still in grade school, then you get additional discount. Also, since maxima comes with automatic safety harness, you will get additional discount for that. I don't know what the ball park should be, since you live in a different township. As for me, I live in Camden, now rated the worst city in the nation, my insurance price is jacked up an ADDITIONAL 800 bukcs on top of what the base price should be, so I pay a grand total of a MAXIMA's worth in a year, and that's by claiming my name into my mom's account. Too bad you have not had a three year driving record yet, or I can point you into a good direction.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Im izz sexay

MY insurance will be around 320 per month for liablilty only. I'm getting my license changed to my grandmother's address in SC and it drops down to 120/month for 6 months. SUcks to live in the Northeast.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:34 PM

nah, just in NJ man, we are getting raped by insurance companies, who expect us to pay through the nose, and will do jack for us when we are in need. Damn monopoly.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:18 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

well if you younger guys keep clean records it will go down eventually, when I was 17 (2000-2001) and had my gxe insured with only liability i paid $2800, by the time I was 20 it went down to 2200 dollars and then I switched to geico and it went down to $1400 a year, I still have geico and I pay $2400 a year for full coverage on the infiniti and liability on my max and Im 22 with a perfect record, plus I have alot of my coverages raised past the state minimums.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:38 AM

most insurance companies allow you to find out what it will cost online w/o any obligation. i would start there
Old 03-24-2005, 05:22 AM

insurance companies can help you out big time also anyway, i think driver's ed should be mandetory because a lot of stupid things can happen if you don't take it. cars aren't toys and they can kill or turn you into a vegetable..not that driving isn't fun or anything, you just have to keep that in mind if you're tempted to do something stupid. you're lucky your first car is a maxima. it was the second of 2 cars my parents had back in the day and i almost slid off a cliff in it..20-25 feet onto someones backyard if it weren't for boulders placed on the side of the road. drive aware or you can get in accidents and insurance will skyrocket...not to mention worse things than that. i don't know if there's much of a difference with companies for 16 yo drivers..it might be pretty much the same everywhere...calling geiko is a good place to start...a company that advertises cheaper premiums.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:44 AM
mod or sell?

I'm married, and over 25. doesn't get much cheaper.
it would if it wasn't for tickets
Old 03-24-2005, 08:00 AM

Boy those numbers suck. Gvmt sucks here, Insurance companies t here...

Here: with all possible bonuses, 200$ for liability, plus 300$ for full coverage, 1year. I am just on the verge ? of droppin' that 300. Man that it would $ave. not.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:01 AM

how old are you???? your premium may be a little high due to age.

best thing to do is shop around, get quotes from 3 to four companies then compare.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i just got insurance for my max. $1800/yr liability w/ Geico in Brooklyn, NY. i'm 26 so i'm sure that helped.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Moved on to BMW's :(

When you hit 25 it goes down even more, get married, have children, even more...
Keep a CLEAN record, it goes down even more.
At age 41, clean driving record, Full coverage on the Tahoe, Liability on the Maxi, I pay $900/year. When my 15-year-old son gets his license next year, I'm sure that will be a real wake-up call.
Someone said that it "doesn't matter if you drive a Bentley or a Pinto, Liability Insurance costs the same." That is not, repeat NOT, true.
If you're driving a clapped-out V8 Mustang you are (statistically) much more likely to get into/cause an accident through out-of-control driving than you are if you drive a sedate little diesel Jetta. Liability is, by far, the bulk of the cost in insurance. The rest of the coverage in "full coverage" is based on theft rates (try insuring a Honda Accord sometime), cost of repair, and other statistical factors.
If you're a 17-year-old brand new driver, (statistically) you're much more likely to get into an accident than an old fogey like me. Hence, you're going to pay through the nose for insurance. Best of luck.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:19 PM

well im 16, will be 17 when driving, wow i didnt know that $1800 was in my ballpark, **** that seems expensive. ill be happy if i get $1500 then, hopefulyl my parents will let me under their insurance hjopefully, but probably not.... darn parents! ha ha always let your kid on your insurance (unless if they suck at driving), which i have broken the rules a little, and i am a very good driver especially at high speeds! <----this is funny!
Old 03-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
well im 16, will be 17 when driving, wow i didnt know that $1800 was in my ballpark, **** that seems expensive. ill be happy if i get $1500 then, hopefulyl my parents will let me under their insurance hjopefully, but probably not.... darn parents! ha ha always let your kid on your insurance (unless if they suck at driving), which i have broken the rules a little, and i am a very good driver especially at high speeds! <----this is funny!

$1500? mabey every six months
Old 03-24-2005, 06:05 PM

so true so true, ball park for new driver would around 2800 for a year, and that's if you're lucky. And for the love of .... slow your *** down while driving, impressing chicks with high speed is just dumb, impress them with your brain prowness or something dude, not how fast you can go.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Moved on to BMW's :(

The sad but true fact is that we've all done stupid things behind the wheel. When a new driver sets out, he (or she) believes he can drive like Mario Andretti (or Dale Earnhardt Jr. for you young'uns out there), cellphone pasted to his ear, and seatbelt dangling, not buckled.
As a teacher, I know a thing or two about teenagers. There is a thing called the "Personal Myth" whereby kids can't envision their own death -- that is, they cannot truly grasp the fact that they can actually DIE. This Personal Myth is what compels my teenage son to attempt to jump off any available high structures with a wheeled device -- skateboard, rollerblades, etc. This is why suicide hits the teenage community so hard: it's a very hard encounter with reality, shattering the Personal Myth. Oh, they're usually quite intelligent, engaging, vibrant young people, but for some reason put them behind the wheel of a car and they will do the most outrageously dumb things. I did it. You did it. We all have war stories to tell. Somehow, by the grace of God (it certainly wasn't the Advanced Safety Features of my mom's 1972 Ford station wagon), we survived.
One day, and I remember quite vividly when I had this particular epiphany, about age 24, we all suddenly realize: "Holy $h*t, I could DIE doing this! This is really STUPID!" And the most magical thing happens: we slow down! We realize that we're NOT the World's Greatest Driver, that we're not immortal, and that this Personal Myth we've been living with is, well, a MYTH!!!
It is at this precise moment that your insurance rates will go down.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:52 PM
mod or sell?

I am immortal! and in the end there can be only 1
Old 03-24-2005, 08:40 PM
I will eat your children

Originally Posted by disgruntled
nah, just in NJ man, we are getting raped by insurance companies, who expect us to pay through the nose, and will do jack for us when we are in need. Damn monopoly.
yea NJ is quite horrible. i cant wait untill i can leave this state.

the only good thing imo about the armed forces is USAA insurance. you must get it while active, but i pay $70/mo liabiality and i have 6 pts. its also my own policy. gotta give props to my pops 4 that one.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:06 PM

i live in NJ and i pay 190 every 6 months! its all about the family plan, switching the driver's names around on each car and finding the best rate
geico is here now, and its great. i'm 23.
tom
Old 03-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i pay 1000/year with liability on my 89 max, parents 03 G35, and 02 Suburban on Geico. Thats with the good grades discount.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:42 PM

yeah my parents pay my insurance and we are on Farmer's. I'm insured under my dad's truck though, but its only 400 every 6 months. The maximas are something small, like 200 or less each. All cars have full coverage and only a 200 dollar deductible. I have no tickets though, and goos student discount helps.

Sucks to live where you guys are, I can only imagine.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:50 AM

I'm 19 and Geico gave me 707 every 6 months (1414 every year for comparison). Technically my driving record is clean, but I'm probably the luckiest person here for the **** I've pulled

edit: Living in Arizona, Liability
Old 03-25-2005, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Geerhed
... I know a thing or two about teenagers. There is a thing called the "Personal Myth" whereby kids can't envision their own death -- that is, they cannot truly grasp the fact that they can actually DIE. ...
Although I did not want, I also [surpr!se] was teenager for few yrs... Some of the wiser say that there is also certain gene on people taking risks, goes beyond age. (Jet captains who wanna fly even without checkups?) I guess I have more that one of those genes... How did I survive that period? If something proves Gods solicitude to me, its how I survived. Hopefully insurance companies will not start to take genetical tsts...

The danger -studies show general danger curve to drop after 25 something, and climb back up 65 smtg. That is a generalisation which cannot be projected on individual, alas, done always.

But this tendency to take risks is also possible to mirror with car models: security first -people tend to drive slow with Volvo tractors, (some studies ? say theyre mostly sosialists...). I think most dangerous it is when these super secure people get a performance car [=sit with a helmet on the beach worrying for tsunami]. Like the old granpa who panicked through marketplace killing score, or the 80's audi 2000-story where ladies crashed to street through garage door as typical "80's ford" never reacted to gas pedal. (Audi got sued only for performance, lost markets on their first family performance car...)

BTW: Is maxima -driver a risk taker???

"Speed kills" -is the brainless generalisation of this age. Now state legislators have found a good resource in taxing with that. Never ending gvmt expansion gets new boost from technology: quite soon we have mandatory satellite control and real time ticketing - drawn from u taxed bank account. Keep smiling. Satellite controlled car gas pedal ctrl has been tested in uk. Fun?

Only recklesness kills. I dont mind anybody speeding on lonely higways (yes, cops do have 'some' interest), but the kids cars racing past fotball playing kids on the 15mph dead end street will taste hammer...
Old 03-25-2005, 04:17 AM

I love living in winnipeg. My insurance is $92 per month and it covers everything. All thanks to the government run Autopac
Old 03-25-2005, 06:15 AM

ya see, NJ is the highest insurance state all around for cars, houses, and other stuff, i dont have good grades either, and yes, i do stupid things, i am a skateboarder, i think ist is fun, and my friends dont help either but hopefully ill go to an arizona college, ill go live with my sis, so my insurance will be cheaper by ALOT!