3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

well its not finished but figured I would show an update pic

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

well its not finished but figured I would show an update pic

I painted my back bumper and kit yesterday and wet sanded and buffed today (I like it perfectly slick with no orange peal at all ). I was worried about it matching so I wet sanded the area on the quarter above the kit and behind the upper part of the bumper for now just to see how well it would match. I will probably buff the whole car another day. It turns out it matched pretty well...especially since I used cheap paint (Omni) and didnt use the color match gun (just used the paint code).

I am pretty pleased with it. Its not a perfect match but will be fine to the average person.

Now I am about to go finish up the front body work (filled in the license plate holes in the bumper) and paint it today hopefully. I already painted the sides but I have my fenders off so I dont have them on the car.

I will hope to have some pics of it completed by Sunday or Monday.

here are some pics. Dont laugh at the tail pipe extensions. I just put those on there to pull it out of the carport so it wouldnt heat up the kit. I have some nice ones I am going to weld on in a couple of days.

Old 03-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wow look at that shine very nice cant wait to see the whole car look like that
Old 03-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Old 03-25-2005, 04:29 PM
I will eat your children

looks good! now i want my car to be black too
Old 03-25-2005, 04:38 PM

SHINY! Looks really good!
Old 03-25-2005, 06:23 PM

Looks good, but black cars get dirty sooo fast
Old 03-25-2005, 06:26 PM

all cars get dirrty real fast, only black shows the best, hence white wont look as dirty when its filthy.

Looks really nice. When you finish that 93 how much are you asking for it?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:51 PM

Looks sweet. Are you using a prof. spray booth?
Old 03-25-2005, 08:02 PM

i think he is just got tarps on his carport but i could be wrong...
Old 03-25-2005, 08:05 PM

hot stuff. I'm considering painting my max black also.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Im izz sexay

He doesn't give himself enough credit. Good job.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:30 PM

Awesome job, looks like you could just fall inside of the paint! What did you fill the holes in you bumper with? I need to do that eventually.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

thanks guys.

Originally Posted by eric93SE
Looks sweet. Are you using a prof. spray booth?
I just use tarps surounding my carport then I have an inlet with a filter and a fan blowing out. I spray the carport walls, tarps and floor with water before I paint. Its really messy but does the job. Luckily there hasnt been any bugs yet but I noticed some tonight when I was cleaning up and getting ready for tomorrow...so we will see how that turns out...I should be OK in the day time though. If I ever paint a whole car again (I am painting the 93 in pieces) I am going to try and use my friends booth though. Its so much nicer than what I have.

So far I have been able to paint pretty dust free (trust me dust will show up in black paint bad). I did use 2000 grit paper on the kit and bumper to get any dust nibs and the little orange peal I had out and then buffed.

Originally Posted by Brad92SE
Awesome job, looks like you could just fall inside of the paint! What did you fill the holes in you bumper with? I need to do that eventually.
I used a bumper repair mix kit from 3m called automix flexible plastic repair. I got it a long time ago when I repaired my bumper on the 93. I have some that comes in 2 different tubes (like toothpaste tubes) and you mix them together. Craig got some recently for me to repair his front lip but it came in a tube that has a mixing piece so its mixed when it comes out. The only problem with that is the took you have to use for it is rather expensive. My friend has one but I still havent gotten by to get it from him. I need to though because the stuff I have is so old I wouldnt trust it to someting like fixing a crack...its fine for filling holes still though.

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
That depends on what I do to it. If I leave it alone and sell it with the ticking VTCs I am going to ask 3K for it. If I fix the VTCs then I will probably ask 3.5K. Now obviously that is just a starting point so I will come off of that.

Originally Posted by jwmaxse
Looks good, but black cars get dirty sooo fast
Yeah thats why I dont like black cars very much. They look beautiful when clean but man do they show dirt and swirls etc bad. I cant compain about the color though for what I got the car for.

I plan on painting the whole car some day (will do a color change if I do) but it may be a while and thats why I decided to go ahead and paint the kit and bumpers. Plus if for some reason I decide to sell it before I paint it then it will look much nicer that way.

I am still on schedule to paint the front tomorrow so I should have the car back together on Monday or Tuesday (not working on Easter) hopefully. I will get pics when I am finished.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Vadim-93GXE

Good job. Almost looks like it just rolled out from the dealer, but better. Was it even that shiney back when these car came out of the factory?

Anyway.. You seem to sell good quality 3gens. If I ever decide to purchase one from you, would the trip all the way to MS kill me? How far from NY is it anyway?

Old 03-25-2005, 09:49 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Vadim-93GXE
Good job. Almost looks like it just rolled out from the dealer, but better. Was it even that shiney back when these car came out of the factory?

Anyway.. You seem to sell good quality 3gens. If I ever decide to purchase one from you, would the trip all the way to MS kill me? How far from NY is it anyway?

its a long way. I did however go up to DC to get my 93. rode a train up there and drove back. Not sure how far you are from DC (3 or 4 hrs or so right?) but I think it took me 12 hrs or so to drive home. I honestly cant remember because its been so long. I had no radio or anything...just the drone of a ricer muffler lol.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Vadim-93GXE

Originally Posted by awsm66
its a long way. I did however go up to DC to get my 93. rode a train up there and drove back. Not sure how far you are from DC (3 or 4 hrs or so right?) but I think it took me 12 hrs or so to drive home. I honestly cant remember because its been so long. I had no radio or anything...just the drone of a ricer muffler lol.
lol, oh well.. Maybe I'll decide to go on a seriose road trip one day. It's so hard to find 5spd SE's out here...

Old 03-26-2005, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Vadim-93GXE
lol, oh well.. Maybe I'll decide to go on a seriose road trip one day. It's so hard to find 5spd SE's out here...
he's selling the automatic (93 SE)
Old 03-26-2005, 07:18 AM

nice job, keep up the good work.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Vadim-93GXE

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
he's selling the automatic (93 SE)
Good one.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:54 AM

im tempted to drive down to have my body work done by you nice
Old 03-26-2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
all cars get dirrty real fast, only black shows the best, hence white wont look as dirty when its filthy.

Reaaallllyyy! Thanks for the clarification, but that's what I meant in the first place I had a Black SE 5spd (not as good looking as awsm66's) and it looked sexy when it was clean but man did it show dust quickly. My friend got a "tri-coat cashmere" colored 2005 Lincoln Navigator limited edition and that color is sweet. I only saw it at night and the flake (I think that's what it's called) was incredible even with just street lights. I think that's the color I would paint my Z if I ever wanted to fork out the $$$
Old 03-26-2005, 12:57 PM

looks good my man im just one step behind gotta find someone to paint it tho
Old 03-26-2005, 03:44 PM

It looks great. And, as many may have heard, "the blacker, the faster"... Just beware of the ...
Old 03-26-2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by jwmaxse
Reaaallllyyy! Thanks for the clarification, but that's what I meant in the first place I had a Black SE 5spd (not as good looking as awsm66's) and it looked sexy when it was clean but man did it show dust quickly. My friend got a "tri-coat cashmere" colored 2005 Lincoln Navigator limited edition and that color is sweet. I only saw it at night and the flake (I think that's what it's called) was incredible even with just street lights. I think that's the color I would paint my Z if I ever wanted to fork out the $$$

LOL i was only playing around, i know thats what you meant!
Old 03-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Boomer Sooner

That paint looks awesome!! I just had my Trans Am painted by a well trusted shop here in my home town and it doesn't even look that smooth/good!!

I have a black maxima, wanna take a road trip to OK from MS to repaint mine?

Keep up the good work!
Old 03-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

another update...

I finished the front today. I ran into a little problem that slowed me doan because I mocked up the kit without the fenders so I could drill a hole in the front corner (the one that always sticks out) and put a rivet (with a washer behind it so it will not pull thru...thats why I had to have the bumper off) there to hold it in place for good. I drilled the holes and used a bigger drill bit to counter sink the rivet. I was going to fill the hole there with the automix plastic repair but decided not to because I am going to replace the bumper eventually (lots of pits and such in the bumper) and didnt want to drill several holes trying to find the rivet. It should look fine though with it being counter sunk.

Anyway I did all this yesterday and was going to paint this morning but when I went to put it back on it wouldnt fit around the fender (1/4 inch off)...doh...I knew I should have put the fenders on to mock it up. I thought I had it marked good enough but I guess not. Anyway I had to go back to the store this morning to get more tape and then I finished up the install. Its on there good now. I started painting later than I thought I would (around 5 pm) but its been a rainy day so the bugs were not a problem. It turned out trash free but I do have a sag in it from where my gun hit the fender when painting and caused a little more clear to be put on in that spot. I will easily remedy it Monday though...little more sanding than I want to do but not too bad...its not a huge sag.

I will hopefully post some pics of the car with the complete (painted) kit on monday but it may be tuesday. At any rate I will post pics as soon as I get it out and can get some.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

More updated pics.

I put the side skirts on and started putting everything back together but I didnt have time to finish up. I went ahead and got some pics though.

there are still some water spots on the kit and some other places (no those are not flaws )

I still have not buffed the whole car though.

Also I dont have the sides fully mounted either. I have them riveted in the door way but not in the fender wells (why it looks like it may be a little crooked lol) because I ran out of rivets. I am going to go get some new ones tonight and finish putting the car back together. I hope to have some nice pics of the car finished tomorrow by the lake...I have a lot to do though so I am not sure.

anyway enjoy the new pics.

Old 03-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

more

Old 03-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

VERY VERY very very very very nice
Old 03-28-2005, 04:23 PM

Nice! Now get those damn projectors in already..
Old 03-28-2005, 04:48 PM
I will eat your children

very nice man. very nice
Old 03-28-2005, 04:50 PM

WHOA! I'm glad you kept it black!
Old 03-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
WHOA! I'm glad you kept it black!

well painting the kit to match the car is just temporary.

I will eventually paint the whole car (probably toward the end of the summer)...not sure if I am staying black or not when I do that.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Banned

wow, that looks really nice. I think it is more shiny than most brand new cars. I like it in black, but I think that blue u were gonna paint the 93 would still look really nice.....me, i think i would go blue because I'm too lazy to maintain black
Old 03-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by CamryKilla
wow, that looks really nice. I think it is more shiny than most brand new cars. I like it in black, but I think that blue u were gonna paint the 93 would still look really nice.....me, i think i would go blue because I'm too lazy to maintain black

thanks...I am still painting the 93 blue (soon hopefully) but I have a different color in mind for the 92 (if I change colors).

I am also too lazy to maintain black and that is the only thing that has me wanting to change colors. I absolutely love how the car looks black but I would only clean it once every other week or so.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:50 PM

stop with the pix!!!!! i gonna want to go out and paint my kit

BTW: it looks really good. very nice job.