3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

You have to pay to get quality parts, Stillen STS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 09:54 PM

You have to pay to get quality parts, Stillen STS

Ok my mod journey has yet another chapter. Sorry if I post everything that I do to my max, but my feed back would be bennifical to the 3rd gen community.

While you guys have read the post of my suspension install, At the same time I got my Stillen STS(short throw shifter) installed. Talk about quailty. This was the most expensive tiny performance item that I have purchased. But it was well worth it.

Stillen has the STS shifter that is interchangable for 3rd 4th and I think 5th gen as well. The only flaw is that you do have to file some of the lower part off to fit properly and to get all gears.

Andy took down the old high flow from Car Sound. Man that cat died so fast it wasnt funny. It rattled when ever i was idling or reving or shifting while accelerating.

While that was down he got to work on the STS. Put that one and then the new CarSound Cat that I had to replace with.

I picked her up and took her for a turn. As the first gear I went to was reversed it felt like i was in 4th or something. Yeah that close.

I put the tranny in 1st and it just locked in and was soo smooth, and then up shifted to 2nd. Damn that was such a fast throw, crisp and clean. Now I was not familiar with the 3rd gear but found it with no problem.

I actually felt like my experiance was driving a true sports car. Driving down the streets, the transition is great and match up my rpms perfectly as I shift. no more lag as i wait to get to the next gear.

Guys I have learned a great lesson. There is such a thing as paying for what you get, with this I am really glad I didnt go half ****. Jason has one on his max and now he is sooo happy to be driving his max again.

I am almost fully modded. I just have to work on my audio, interior and exterior stlying.

My Street Glow Gold series color blue is the next addition. Now that i'm lowered, got to becarefull not to break them.

Stay turn for the next upgrade. Same 3rd gen time, same 3rd gen channel.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nice glad to hear your happy
Old 03-27-2005, 01:48 AM

hmm, that's not the one that they sell on custommaxima.com is it?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:12 AM

I love my pacesetter one. Much cheaper and still a great improvement.

Have you ever driven a 3rd gen with a pacesetter STS?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:04 AM

I have a Pacesetter STS and it feels very notchy, especially when it's warm outside and I have been driving for an hour. It's almost as if the plastic adjuster ball in the socket was expanding not letting it move freely.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:15 AM

Diego...

Stillen...

Send to me...

Old 03-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Wait so they sell a universal one now? I was looking in one of my old Stillen catalogs (looking for the tall spoiler part number…wasn’t in that one) and it has a different part number from the 3rd gen and 4th gen.

If they are the same or close why can’t we buy the cheap short throw shifters on ebay for the 4th gens.

I have never seen a 4th gen shifter so I don’t know what the differences are but know there is a load of them on ebay that are dirt cheap…even cheaper than the pacesetter.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:46 AM

i might break down and buy one of these eventually im not to happy with the pacesetter its fine when cold but if it starts acting up agian this summer when it gets hot that might be the last draw
Old 03-27-2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Akuma2001
I have a Pacesetter STS and it feels very notchy, especially when it's warm outside and I have been driving for an hour. It's almost as if the plastic adjuster ball in the socket was expanding not letting it move freely.
Originally Posted by subs1000w
i might break down and buy one of these eventually im not to happy with the pacesetter its fine when cold but if it starts acting up agian this summer when it gets hot that might be the last draw

You hit it on the nail. This is fact. The pace setter is not a very good quality product. N34JZ had it in his and "... its like shifting with a spagetti string...."

Since the lower part is plastic it expands as the heat shield on top of the cat warms up. Its also gets to the point where its difficult to shift properly, causing you do not go into gear and mishift. It may be fine in cooler climates, but when summer came, I drove it with jays max. I wasnt to thrilled with it.

Again it was much better improvement over his old one. The Stillen worked great and stayed great even at normal operating tempeture. I have one as well, and i am not baised. I had a stock shifter and went directly with Stillen.
N34JZ, Diego and I all agree on this. Anymore people out there with Stillen?

Pacesetter what a joke . A couple dollars more would get you better material and well made peice of equipment.
Same goes with most pacesetter items. They are cheap and the end result is you get for what you paid for
Old 03-27-2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
looks like stillen may have a new customer.

You would be happy with this shifter. Stock height but the shift is great.

It makes you want to run all the gears.

Its the difference in having to drive your max, wanting to drive your max
Old 03-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by crazy4maxima
You hit it on the nail. This is fact. The pace setter is not a very good quality product. N34JZ had it in his and "... its like shifting with a spagetti string...."

Since the lower part is plastic it expands as the heat shield on top of the cat warms up. Its also gets to the point where its difficult to shift properly, causing you do not go into gear and mishift. It may be fine in cooler climates, but when summer came, I drove it with jays max. I wasnt to thrilled with it.

Again it was much better improvement over his old one. The Stillen worked great and stayed great even at normal operating tempeture. I have one as well, and i am not baised. I had a stock shifter and went directly with Stillen.
N34JZ, Diego and I all agree on this. Anymore people out there with Stillen?

Pacesetter what a joke . A couple dollars more would get you better material and well made peice of equipment.
Same goes with most pacesetter items. They are cheap and the end result is you get for what you paid for
hate to do this to you Izzy, but I had an SMC, not pacesetter. Although most people with pacesetters I talked to told me they were having the same issues I was having (sloppyness, difficulty to move the shifter when hot etc....)
Old 03-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Getting back to his roots

My Pacestter is fine. You just have to adjust the tightness of the nuts that hold the ball in place -- don't crank them down real hard. And $70 vs $250 is hardly "a few dollars more", but to each his own. I hear the Stillen is an excellent unit.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
Wait so they sell a universal one now? I was looking in one of my old Stillen catalogs (looking for the tall spoiler part number…wasn’t in that one) and it has a different part number from the 3rd gen and 4th gen.

If they are the same or close why can’t we buy the cheap short throw shifters on ebay for the 4th gens.

I have never seen a 4th gen shifter so I don’t know what the differences are but know there is a load of them on ebay that are dirt cheap…even cheaper than the pacesetter.

look online here is the part

Stillen Short Throw Shifter

Two Cons 1-they are non adjustable, 2-have to file off for proper fitment. In this case the sts is for 89-01
Old 03-27-2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
My Pacestter is fine. You just have to adjust the tightness of the nuts that hold the ball in place -- don't crank them down real hard. And $70 vs $250 is hardly "a few dollars more", but to each his own. I hear the Stillen is an excellent unit.

figure of speech
Old 03-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

They changed the shifter sometime between 2001 and 2003 (I cant find my 2002 catalog). In my 2001 catalog it has 2 different part numbers.

89-94---452225

95-01---452250

but in my 2003 catalog it has the same part number you posted a link to.

I bet if you got an old shifter part number 452225 you wouldnt have to do a thing to it to make it fit...what are the chances they have one laying around in a warehouse lol.

I wonder what they did differently to make them work on all the cars? I still want to know if you can use the 4th gen shifters if the stillen is the same.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:34 PM

hrmm, excuse my silly question, but if i were to chop out lets say, 1" from my shifter and wield the thing back together. would that be the same as a STS? If not, what does the STS have over shortening your existing stock shifter? I need details because I never really understood the STS concept, yet I'm very interested.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:57 PM

I got my first STS for 20 bucks and then my second for like 40. Quite the dollar difference
Old 03-27-2005, 10:57 PM

I have a pacesetter sts and I absolutely love it! I live in albuquerque, nm and it is pretty hot here. I have the ball adjusted for the shortest possible through and it isn't notchy at all. I can still nail every shift perfectly. Having high quality mt fluid like redline or amsol seems to help alot. In addition, the housing around the ball has to be tightened properly and the ball has to be well lubed for it to shift smoothly.

I haven't driven another maxima with the stillen sts so I really can't compare the two but, all I can say is that I'm really happy with my pacesetter.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by KLoWnPR109

I got my first STS for 20 bucks and then my second for like 40. Quite the dollar difference
I got my only STS for helping pull an engine
Old 03-28-2005, 03:41 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
hrmm, excuse my silly question, but if i were to chop out lets say, 1" from my shifter and wield the thing back together. would that be the same as a STS? If not, what does the STS have over shortening your existing stock shifter? I need details because I never really understood the STS concept, yet I'm very interested.

no that will only shorten the height of the shifter, which is not the point unless you are only going for the look of a short shifter but not the throw (distance between gears) which will remains that same.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:49 AM

The stillen STS doesn't reduce height, reducing the height on a 3rd gen just doesn't look right with the interior design in my opinion. I got my stillen STS as a gift, I never wanted to pay $230.00 for the STS because no one simply had it and I never really tested it so I didn't want to take a risk on buying something that sucked. Well I had no option but to install it and to be honest if I would of driven a car with a stillen STS I would of bought it on my own. Its a great product, the SMC Jason (N34JZ) had, was terrible, sloopy, short and ugly. The stillen retains a factory look and feel but definitely a short throw. In short, its stillen or nothing in the STS aspect.

Shawn in your dreams but I did make you an offer that you should take up
Old 03-28-2005, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
I actually have my stock 4th gen shifter sitting in my trunk (previous owner upgraded to B&M). I'd be willing to send you some pics if you think it will help you any, my internet connection is down at home right now so it might be a few days but just let me know. I could take some pics of different angles, make measurements or whatever you need to know.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by jwmaxse
I actually have my stock 4th gen shifter sitting in my trunk (previous owner upgraded to B&M). I'd be willing to send you some pics if you think it will help you any, my internet connection is down at home right now so it might be a few days but just let me know. I could take some pics of different angles, make measurements or whatever you need to know.
sounds good. my email is in my sig so you can send it to that address.

Thanks

no hurry...I am just curious how they look and what the differences are.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:42 PM

now what about cutting the stillen sts down. i cant stand the factory look honestly...its hitting my chin you know. i cut cut my stock one and its a lil better but would love the sort throw