3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can we get a 5 speed swap sticky?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dillbag
Um, about putting a VE 5spd w/ LSD into a VG car:
putting in the VE hubs is not necessary. I did not have the VE axles when I did the swap, all i had was the trans. So i just went to the local axle shop, bought some '94 SE 5spd axles and had them put on the ends from an '89. Turns out the actual shafts and bearings are the same so the '89 ends fit on the '94 axles. It works like a charm, my car is rolling proof. That setup has been rolling strong for like 4 or 5 years now.
I'm not sure which way ends up being cheaper or easier, but that's just how i ended up doing it. Granted my car is already an '89 SE 5spd. SO all's that happened was that my trans. pooped on me; and my buddy had a spare lsd trans for his '94 SE 5spd.
So i looked at his, then looked at mine, and well you know...so i put his in and it was all gravy until the axle thing. I didn't want to mess with new knuckles, so i did the axle thing. Hope that was helpful.
let me get this straight... ur sayin' that i can install just the VE 5-spd tranny into my '93 VG with no need for me to buy VE Hubs??? so all i would need r just the VE axles and thats it??? if so that means i can go to my local junkyard by this weekend and take out a VE 5-spd tranny.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Alex_V

grand are you talking about in FL? Where in FL? BC I go down there a few times a year (to orlando/sanford area), and I'd be sweet if next time i went down i could get a great condition vlsd as i have a non VLSD and its got 217K.

~Alex

Old 09-14-2005, 06:40 PM

is ther any "special" tools that you need for a 5 spd swap???
Old 09-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Alex_V

not really 2-4 jack stands, 10-17mm wrenches sockets, then the 36mm socket and 1/2in wrench or air impact wrench for the axles but you need some duplicate wrenches too. Thats all ive needed to drop my auto tranny and im half way tru dropping my manual and u shouldnt need more then that.

~Alex

Old 09-14-2005, 07:32 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
let me get this straight... ur sayin' that i can install just the VE 5-spd tranny into my '93 VG with no need for me to buy VE Hubs??? so all i would need r just the VE axles and thats it??? if so that means i can go to my local junkyard by this weekend and take out a VE 5-spd tranny.
no, he means his axles are hybrids.
they are a combination of VE and VG axle bits.
which means that when the time comes to replace the axle again, it'll be R&R only and your car wil have to be down unti it's done being rebuilt. Unless you have 2 sets made in the first place, which basically negates the savings I'd think.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
no, he means his axles are hybrids.
they are a combination of VE and VG axle bits.
which means that when the time comes to replace the axle again, it'll be R&R only and your car wil have to be down unti it's done being rebuilt. Unless you have 2 sets made in the first place, which basically negates the savings I'd think.

i knew this was too good to be true but im still gonna experiment on this cuz i really want a VLSD in my '93.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_V
grand are you talking about in FL? Where in FL? BC I go down there a few times a year (to orlando/sanford area), and I'd be sweet if next time i went down i could get a great condition vlsd as i have a non VLSD and its got 217K.

~Alex

i live in Miami but either way i have to check and c if the local junkyard that i was talkin' about should still have VE 5-spd tranny. i was gonna buy that car from them at the beginnin' of this year for like $600. its a '93 Burgundy with black leather interior. the car was in great shape but then it hit me that if i bought this car i wouldn't know what the hell would be wrong with it cuz i had the owner of the junkyard tell me that it might have had an electrical problem, blown VE motor, etc... of course i backed out on it but up to this point they still have that VE 5-speed there but now its in terrible shape cuz people always take things off of it and just destroyed the interior. im gonna go this weekend to c if they still have it though. if they do i might just end up gettin' the tranny off of them. mind u this is the only VE 5-speed thats sittin' all by itself in one junkyard cuz all the other junkyards i've been to have only VG's.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
is ther any "special" tools that you need for a 5 spd swap???
actually I'd say yes to this.

to be able to drill the firewall holes you'd need some sort of hole saw that could be angled 45 degrees, that'd help you a lot. it's tight space down there. it's possible with a fair bit of patience and violence to make it without but it'd really be much easier with.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does engine swap call for tranny swap?

I have a 90 Maxima with a VG30E and want to swap that engine for the VG30ET or VG30DETT. Now if I do this do I also need to swap the old tranny out for the 5spd from the 300zx or can I keep the auto in it.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by DJ-Max90
I have a 90 Maxima with a VG30E and want to swap that engine for the VG30ET or VG30DETT. Now if I do this do I also need to swap the old tranny out for the 5spd from the 300zx or can I keep the auto in it.
im pretty sure u can keep the auto tranny in it when u swap in ur new motor. what i suggest u do is look for a 5-speed tranny for ur car. either the 5-speed tranny that came in the '89-'91 VG SE 3rd gens or the '92-'94 VE SE 3rd gens. the VE 5-speed would be better. good luck.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can the VG30ET engine be turned sideways so that the car can remain FWD or does it have to mount as it would in a RWD car causing a need for a rear end swap.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:12 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Can the VG30ET engine be turned sideways so that the car can remain FWD or does it have to mount as it would in a RWD car causing a need for a rear end swap.
Usually we all just turn the car into a rwd...It's way easier then leaving it fwd...
Old 11-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Alex_V

LOL I dont know which one of you to hurt..... lol j/p

~Alex

Old 11-01-2005, 05:28 PM

yes, the VG30ET can be installed in the FWD position.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Alex_V

its pointless unless you change the engine for higher (VG30ET has 8.3:1 compression VG30E has 9:1) compression, because the lower compression of the ET will lower low end power, spool the turbo later, and make less overall power on the same lb of boost. you need something like 3-5lb more boost for every 1 CR to make about the same power. So just get a VG30E whether your turboing or not. just get the ET's turbo.Read the turbo sticky, lots of info....

~Alex

Old 11-10-2005, 11:16 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=434469 <--- this is just the thread i started awhile back usin' some of Daniel's info. to make the reverse lights work and cruise control as well.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What advantage do you get when you swap out the 5speed harness and ecu and the harness that you swap is it the engine harness itself?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by slowdownse
What advantage do you get when you swap out the 5speed harness and ecu and the harness that you swap is it the engine harness itself?
the harness that ur referrin' to is in fact in the engine harness but u really don't need to swap out the full harness out not even the ECU. just go to the link i provided above ur post and it will redirect u to a continuin' process on how i did the rewirin' myself and the advantages u gain.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the harness that ur referrin' to is in fact in the engine harness but u really don't need to swap out the full harness out not even the ECU. just go to the link i provided above ur post and it will redirect u to a continuin' process on how i did the rewirin' myself and the advantages u gain.
If I am going to the 5 speed swap im kind of a neat freak and like it to be factory as much as possible. I will be going the the local junkyard and want to get the wiring harness but i dont know what to get if done so. I also dont want to jump any wires that's the reason why i was going to use the 5speed wiring harness. So in regard's to the swap what portion of the harness will i need to get in order to have avalibility of cruise control, netural saftey switch, and any thing eles i failed to mention. "O" And can i use my automatic half-shafts ,stater and front tranny mount with so doing this conversion???

!!Thanx Greatly!!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just concerning with the 5 speed swap because i am interesting in doing the swap i have a strong knowledge when it comes to my cars as far tearing and rebuilding them
Old 07-31-2006, 03:37 PM
mod or sell?

Just concerning with the 5 speed swap because i am interesting in doing the swap i have a strong knowledge when it comes to my cars as far tearing and rebuilding them
1. dam your car looks nice.
2. the A/t and M/T take different axles on the DOHC motor
Old 07-31-2006, 04:36 PM

If I am going to the 5 speed swap im kind of a neat freak and like it to be factory as much as possible. I will be going the the local junkyard and want to get the wiring harness but i dont know what to get if done so. I also dont want to jump any wires that's the reason why i was going to use the 5speed wiring harness. So in regard's to the swap what portion of the harness will i need to get in order to have avalibility of cruise control, netural saftey switch, and any thing eles i failed to mention. "O" And can i use my automatic half-shafts ,stater and front tranny mount with so doing this conversion???

!!Thanx Greatly!!
nice car. my '89 SE 5-spd would have looked like that if i would of kept it. back on topic. did u go to the link that i specified? if not, please do. i used a jumper wire at first but then i used Daniels method but i improved where as he just spliced the wires and connected them and called it for the day. as for me i used the tranny harness that i specified in the pics in my link which is right above ur first post in this thread. if u look at the 5spd tranny ur only gonna have 2 harness's, 1 is for the speed sensor and the other controls ur neutral safety switch, reverse lights and cruise control. all i did is just went to the junkyard and cut off the harness with the 4 wires that i needed to connect to the tranny harness. if ur lucky u'll find the VE 5-spd tranny which is better than the VG 5-spd tranny cuz the VE has the VLSD and the VG doesn't. this whole thread is about converting ur VG auto to manual. but im pretty sure for the most part of all the great info in here may also apply to the VE auto to manual. in the VG u keep the same ECU, Starter, Hubs and Axles, Rear tranny Mount but the bracket changes, front tranny mount changes. for the VE tranny u have to change the Starter, Mounts, Hubs and Axles. i think this sums it up for the most part. if u need more help or more info let me know and i'll help u out.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

GRNMAXDMON ,internetautomar :

Thank For the input, You guys are geat and really know 3rd generation maxima down to a science. I use to always follow up on the mod list and wonder if i had the guts to try and attemp any of them but now i will and starting with the 5spd swap. O i got the idea as far as exterior from awsm66 (Michael) What a great car sad to see it go but it was and will be tooken care of. But in regards to the mod thanks a lot I Will keep Posted on the progress and if any obsticals come about i know who and were to to go

Thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

O i got the idea as far as exterior from awsm66 (Michael) What a great car sad to see it go but it was and will be tooken care of.
thanks...it is a nice car and PA is taking very good care of it. I am actually building another one now (will probably be sold as well). check out my engine paint thread for some things I wanted to do on the other car but never did.

your car looks very nice. I like how you blacked out the inner part of the stillen lip and inside of the grille...it goes very well together.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:27 PM

GRNMAXDMON ,internetautomar :

Thank For the input, You guys are geat and really know 3rd generation maxima down to a science. I use to always follow up on the mod list and wonder if i had the guts to try and attemp any of them but now i will and starting with the 5spd swap. O i got the idea as far as exterior from awsm66 (Michael) What a great car sad to see it go but it was and will be tooken care of. But in regards to the mod thanks a lot I Will keep Posted on the progress and if any obsticals come about i know who and were to to go

Thanks
anytime buddy. i use to be just like u tryin' to keep everything as stock as possible back then but then i noticed that it took too damn long to do things that way so just decided to just cut off the wires since they will no longer be used at all and just install the new harness to my existin' wire harness. i know there is a member on here that actually swapped out his entire harness for the 5-speed swap and took him about 2-4 hrs if im not mistaken vs. me doin' it in less than 10 min. and it worked out fine and i made it look stock. but if u get stuck let us know.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

89-91 max manual transmission rebuild pricing?

Does anyone know how much it cost to rebuild a manual tranny? Kinda of curious to see or know what to expect. I know it's alot cheaper than an automatic tranny but still curious, Reason being because some older car parts become very hard to get or find.

Ps:@= I got my 5spd tranny but not the 92-94 tranny I Know i Could kick my own a#$. But Got The 5spd, shifter,clutch w/ flywheel, master cylinder assembly, wire harness (conectors only), front tranny mount, and rear tranny bracket for @= 120 Bucks Shift__Still At least i thought it was anyway. O last but not least do anyone know were i can get a shifter mount or the rubber mount or just the whole assemble itself w/mount

Thanks \/
Old 08-04-2006, 09:24 AM

to rebuild it can run from $400-$800. for the shifter mount if ur referrin' to the rubber part u can get that from the dealer. i think $100 sounds about right for the mount.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2. the A/t and M/T take different axles on the DOHC motor

NO!!! NO! AND FRIGGEN NO!!!! A VE Axle is a VE axle (ABS aside).
Old 08-06-2006, 12:10 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by todamax
NO!!! NO! AND FRIGGEN NO!!!! A VE Axle is a VE axle (ABS aside).
They are different lengths!
A/T Left : 621.5 mm
M/T Left: 645mm
A/T Right: 965.6
M/T Right: 958.9

Get your facts straight.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:30 PM

this is not a HONDA just so u know.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:39 PM

They are different lengths!
A/T Left : 621.5 mm
M/T Left: 645mm
A/T Right: 965.6
M/T Right: 958.9

Get your facts straight.
Is that in the FSM? I don't have it handy.

I do know that I have auto axles in my 5-speed and that is has been 'general knowledge' around here for years that they swap.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:22 PM
mod or sell?

not in the FSM AFAIK. got those #s from the manufacturer.
oh, and I went with LSD on both
Old 08-07-2006, 08:09 PM

not in the FSM AFAIK. got those #s from the manufacturer.
oh, and I went with LSD on both

The Nissan FAST program lists the same part number for both the AT and the MT spindles...
Old 08-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

The Nissan FAST program lists the same part number for both the AT and the MT spindles...
Yeah the spindles are the same but he is talking about the axles which are different...or at least thats what I have read.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Michael
Yeah the spindles are the same but he is talking about the axles which are different...or at least thats what I have read.
So, Nissan, for one model in one model year produced up to 8 different axles designs? No wonder they lost their *** in the 90's. I'm still skeptical, but I guess I can't be sure what axles are in my car. I would have noticed 20mm diff on the left side when I did the swap. I do know I pulled axles from my auto with 59K on it and put them in a manual after comparing them and deciding they were the same.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:22 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

So, Nissan, for one model in one model year produced up to 8 different axles designs? No wonder they lost their *** in the 90's. I'm still skeptical, but I guess I can't be sure what axles are in my car. I would have noticed 20mm diff on the left side when I did the swap. I do know I pulled axles from my auto with 59K on it and put them in a manual after comparing them and deciding they were the same.
I just know I have read they were different. I didnt compare my Auto axles to my manual ones mainly because the manual ones were abs and I didnt want to fool with taking the sensor ring off but also because it apears there is nothing wrong with my manual axles (boots look good and I was told they didnt click).
Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clutch And Flywheel Applications ??

Hey Guy :

I Got Poll Guestion For All Who Have A 5spd tranny.

@=What is the best Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywheel combination to use for everday day or every other day use and somewhat street or maybe stip use.
Like Michael's (92se 5spd) this is an extra car that hardly gets driven but have alway like the body style. Since all of the changes that have been done to maximas until now have made 89-94 maxima a fairly inexpensive and reliable car with exceptional great hp from either vg or ve engine power plants Now thats a 4DSC.

Thanks For Imput Guy:

Ps:@= Got tranny back No broken Gears just did a minor overhaul to it. And Also what is the best way to mount up the clutch pedal and master cylinder. I know on the parts car there was a spacer that nissan used so the studs can go through and mount up on the outside of the firewall to give space in between the master cylinder and pedal.

Ps:@=O!! Last but not least: I Was just curious of something when you wire up the positioner sensor to the five speed connector do you think nissan jp hook up the positioner sensor to the clutch pedal switch. so that way its able to start. Just a Thought?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Usually we all just turn the car into a rwd...It's way easier then leaving it fwd...
Who's done the RWD conversion? Still independent rear or live axle rear? Gas tank has to be modified for driveshaft, right? Maybe in a few years I'll send it out back but for now a stick will be a big enough accomplishment. Anyone done 4WD/AWD on a [3rdgen] maxima?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
OK so you were joking... but who knows? There's gotta be one out there...

Quick Reply: Can we get a 5 speed swap sticky?