3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How to pull the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:44 AM

How to pull the engine?

Okay, so while working on the car yesterday I finally get a good look at some of my exhaust manifold studs. I can count at least 4 that are broken/missing, front and back. I am seriously considering trying to pull the engine so I will be able to get to them easier, maybe even change the clutch while its out. So what type of stuff do I need. Obviously I know I will need to buy/rent a shop crane, but what kind of engine stand can I use and where can I find a bracket to mount onto the engine for the shop crane to grab a hold of? Can I use a regular $49.99 engine stand, will it bolt right up to the Nissan V-6? Thanks for any help in advance, also any tips for those that have done this and how much time did it take. I have some vacation to use, so I could take a few days off.....
Jason.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:57 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

if you're pulling the motor just to do the studs then you don't really need to get a stand. just slap it on a piece of plywood or something and work on the studs there.

if you're rocking a VG then do the t-belt also..water pump no matter what motor you're rocking. fix any oil seal leaks too.

figure 3-5 days depends on how much cursing you do.

what tools you need depends on what you're doing...you'll be looking into getting an ez out or a screw extracter set...get more than one. some good strong drill and bits. a lot of patience and maybe a 6 pack of your fav alcoholic beverage (if you're of drinking age of course).
Old 03-31-2005, 09:10 AM
STFU n00b!

don't bother pulling the engine to do a 4 hour job.

it's 10x the work to pull the engine than it is to just do the job in the car.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
figure 3-5 days depends on how much cursing you do.

things shouldn't be too bad man. take dans advice and take care of the t-belt(vg only) and water pump while the engine out. unless of course they've been done recently.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE

i dunno man. besides pulling the engine it took me about a 20mins to get everything unplugged (hoses and harness). the only hold up i have (had) was where to hoist from. if i figured that out right away i would have had the engine out in just less than an hour. although the tranny was already taken off....so add another 45mins for that.

i can't wait to actually work on my own car one of these days....working on other peoples cars just isn't the same...too many corners i can't cut with someone elses car
Old 03-31-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE

I dunno......seems like getting to the studs in the back will be a big problem. I know everyone says it can be done, but it looks like a B!tch to get to the rear ones.......I've read the stickies but it still doesn't look like fun. I know pulling the engine isn't any fun either, but I don't want to get everything off the rear manifolds only to find out I don't have enough room to work and have to pull the engine anyway.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by jasba
I dunno......seems like getting to the studs in the back will be a big problem. I know everyone says it can be done, but it looks like a B!tch to get to the rear ones.......I've read the stickies but it still doesn't look like fun. I know pulling the engine isn't any fun either, but I don't want to get everything off the rear manifolds only to find out I don't have enough room to work and have to pull the engine anyway.

Read my post.....there's enough room to work there.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

If you have a VG, and need to do the t-belt,WP, front/rear main seals, injector hoses, maybe a clutch, then I'd consider pulling the motor.