3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

SE gauges in my GXE (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 11:26 PM

here's a pic of the new gauges, and the overlays that were in my car. the overlays are in the bottom left hand corner of the pic.

the differences that I noticed are:

the overlays are shiny and WHITE, not pale white, which i like
the overlays still hae green lighting show through, whereas the SE gauges are colored by your bulb colors
the SE gauges dont have overdrive (at least mine doesnt)
Old 05-08-2001, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by ngthing
here's a pic of the new gauges, and the overlays that were in my car. the overlays are in the bottom left hand corner of the pic.

the differences that I noticed are:

the overlays are shiny and WHITE, not pale white, which i like
the overlays still hae green lighting show through, whereas the SE gauges are colored by your bulb colors
the SE gauges dont have overdrive (at least mine doesnt)
so when you do this, you replace the entire gueage cluster right? what do you do about the odometer?
Old 05-08-2001, 09:25 AM

Like your guages..they look nice..I got a few questins for you:
1. I just bought a set of white faced guage overlays from importintelligence.com, they are just stickers that go over the stock gauges...is that what you have?

2. How did you put in the new needles. I have to take out the needles to place the new overlays and the instructions which came with them aren't very detailed. can you tell me how you took out the needles?

Thanks,
Roman
Old 05-08-2001, 09:50 AM

hey your gauges look sweet! btw i was looking at your sig pic, am i trippin' or do your headlights look different than stock? they look clearer or somethin'
Old 05-08-2001, 03:21 PM

roman: the pic in the bottom left corner are importintelligence gauges, they used my gauges for their template what do you mean put in the new needles? you remove the stock needles by twisting couterclockwise and pulling upwards with a LITTLE force, or you will rip out the pin that the needles spin on, do it slwoly, you will probably make a few turns. to put them on, just press the needles on tightly, and recalibrate.

thebull: the SE gauges I used my stock cluster, I unscrewed the SE fuel/temp and dropped it right in, the tach and speedo I just took the overlay and the mounting bracket off. it's simple, you will figure it out when it is in front of you.

soon2bemaxed: ah they're new, i had a little fender bender a while back. so they look silver
Old 05-08-2001, 05:33 PM

Guys why do all that work n just replace to whole cluster? Its easier n faster n u aint gotta worry about twisting/or breaking N E thing... All I did was go to the junk yard, pull a set off a 90se for $50 n ba baam..had me some se guages....Ohhh for the odometer we'll u can do three things... for 1 if the used se cluster reads less mileage on the odometer leave it on there... The cluster is all 1 piece including the odometer so u dont have to do nothing to it... 2nd if the set of se cluster (odometer) reads more mileage than you gxe set, switch em out... Unplug the wire harness from the odometer going to the computer board behind the cluster n unscrew the odometer from the board...Just switch em out...Or last but not least ....BEWARE... if u dont want your mileage to eva continue just leave it unplugged from the board...thats it n u still have readings for your mph n rpm.... I dont recommend doing that 1 but hey where did all those miles go....hehe
Ill post pics lata on the cluster just for u all to have an idea.....better understand what Im saying....
Old 05-08-2001, 05:41 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by lcali1
Guys why do all that work n just replace to whole cluster? Its easier n faster n u aint gotta worry about twisting/or breaking N E thing... All I did was go to the junk yard, pull a set off a 90se for $50 n ba baam..had me some se guages....Ohhh for the odometer we'll u can do three things... for 1 if the used se cluster reads less mileage on the odometer leave it on there... The cluster is all 1 piece including the odometer so u dont have to do nothing to it... 2nd if the set of se cluster (odometer) reads more mileage than you gxe set, switch em out... Unplug the wire harness from the odometer going to the computer board behind the cluster n unscrew the odometer from the board...Just switch em out...Or last but not least ....BEWARE... if u dont want your mileage to eva continue just leave it unplugged from the board...thats it n u still have readings for your mph n rpm.... I dont recommend doing that 1 but hey where did all those miles go....hehe
great advise...federal offense...nice
Old 05-08-2001, 06:05 PM

Hey what a great idea? No. That is so illegal, and I hope you get screwed for it. Some things are bad..but can slide...like stealing a set of rotors...(ehhhhem), but winding back your odometer, which in essence is what you're doing is just plain pathetic. Remind me to never buy anything from you. Damn...people these days.

Ill post pics lata on the cluster just for u all to have an idea.....better understand what Im saying....
Old 05-08-2001, 06:34 PM

dude.. c'mon. why the HELL would you do that? why would you wanta false milage on your car, not only for supopsed better resale but for yourself!! i mean, who are you kidding? your mechanic? your friends? whats the friggen point? hmm.. why is your car dying! it only got 50000 miles on it! hmmmm. and resale youll make an almighty 100 dollars from the 'lower milage' dumb dumb dumb. i dunno, i kinda think its important to have a working odo with ACCURATE milage so i konw how may miles my car HAS and when it need service and such, it pretty much plain stupid if you tamper with that crap, and also illegal. main thing is its dumb. wow im cool! i changed my odo!!
Old 05-08-2001, 07:20 PM

Lets be friends

Relax my fello max drivers. Cant we read? U see I never said I did it. I was just suggesting the idea to others...(why not, its max org.) A secret of the trade..I know there are others out there that would do it.(trust me I know alot of em) But hey thats them n not u guys....I was just a pep, I didnt mean to **** u all off... I thought maxima org was a place to give ideas, how to, n suggest.....Does'nt mean u have to go out n do it (at your descretion right?)... Since u all got smart with me (no hard feelings) I have to say u all sound like little girls wanting Backstreet play dolls from your daddy's but your local toy store ran out... (shizza)
But hey I should'nt have said it N E ways n yes it a federal offense(I should know since Im in the military)...so no 1 do it......... I might get shot now n I got my slap on the wrist....This is worse than being RICED OUT...lol........Final word....Lets be friends
Old 05-08-2001, 07:31 PM

Re: Lets be friends

Relax my fello max drivers. Cant we read? U see I never said I did it. I was just suggesting the idea to others...(why not, its max org.) A secret of the trade..I know there are others out there that would do it.(trust me I know alot of em) But hey thats them n not u guys....I was just a pep, I didnt mean to **** u all off... I thought maxima org was a place to give ideas, how to, n suggest.....Does'nt mean u have to go out n do it (at your descretion right?)... Since u all got smart with me (no hard feelings) I have to say u all sound like little girls wanting Backstreet play dolls from your daddy's but your local toy store ran out... (shizza)
But hey I should'nt have said it N E ways n yes it a federal offense(I should know since Im in the military)...so no 1 do it......... I might get shot now n I got my slap on the wrist....This is worse than being RICED OUT...lol........Final word....Lets be friends
Yes, I can read, and I was flaming you. You suggested the idea, good for you, now you can rip people off, or pose with a car that has less mileage than it acutally has. A secret of the trade is it, what is that? Screwing people out of their money when you go and sell the car? The .org is a place to share ideas, suggest, and how to, just as you said, but not to promote federal offenses, and what the hell is this suppoed to mean? "I have to say u all sound like little girls wanting Backstreet play dolls from your daddy's but your local toy store ran out... " and damn, didn't they teach you how to compile sentances in the military?
Old 05-08-2001, 07:50 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Lets be friends

eh...still shouldn't have suggested it...
Old 05-08-2001, 08:32 PM

just some words of advice...if you ever roll your odometer back you are retarded and will get caught imediately. im not talking to you directly lcali1, cuase you were talking about buying a new cluster not actually rolling yours back. if someone in here did try to roll it back though, you can tell imediately. the numbers will never line up exactly right ever again. there are little notches that line the numbers up and they will always look like they are off. i went to this shady dealership once to look at some explorers. the idiot not only screwed up lining them up(which he did a really bad job on), but he also put 300000miles on instead of 30000miles. lol i asked him about it and he was speakless.
Old 05-08-2001, 08:47 PM

My odometer is false.
falme me!
oh wait
it's stuck that's why

148,000 and don't know how much past that it really is
Old 05-08-2001, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by ngthing
roman: the pic in the bottom left corner are importintelligence gauges, they used my gauges for their template what do you mean put in the new needles? you remove the stock needles by twisting couterclockwise and pulling upwards with a LITTLE force, or you will rip out the pin that the needles spin on, do it slwoly, you will probably make a few turns. to put them on, just press the needles on tightly, and recalibrate.

thebull: the SE gauges I used my stock cluster, I unscrewed the SE fuel/temp and dropped it right in, the tach and speedo I just took the overlay and the mounting bracket off. it's simple, you will figure it out when it is in front of you.

soon2bemaxed: ah they're new, i had a little fender bender a while back. so they look silver
the main reason i wanted the se guages is because they go up to 145. are yours from an 89-91, is that why it is only up to 125mph? if i wanted the ones that go to 145 i wouldnt be able to use my stock cluster right?, because the speedo would be off? i would have to use the entire se cluster and put my odometer in it??? is this correct?
Old 05-08-2001, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by thebull

the main reason i wanted the se guages is because they go up to 145. are yours from an 89-91, is that why it is only up to 125mph? if i wanted the ones that go to 145 i wouldnt be able to use my stock cluster right?, because the speedo would be off? i would have to use the entire se cluster and put my odometer in it??? is this correct?
ya know, I'm not quite sure. I think it was done by Blake a while ago, it's off a little, but not enough to be a problem. Your eyes probably are off more when you're reading it ;p
Old 05-08-2001, 11:37 PM

Cant we just chill?

Ngthing why u still saying me this, me that, ripping people off n shizza, promoting offenses. I aint cheating u, my mechanic, others, nor myself. My max still reads the original miles.I dont plan on selling my max N E tyme soon n if I did Id make sure the buyer and I confronted U with the title of the car.At least Thebull gives me a little credit, or kinda knows where Im coming from...Yes I apologise for everything...Am I forgiven? But darn Ngthing your sounding . Did this happen to U or something cuz U just all up in my grill about the whole thing. Put it this way if N E 1 is gonna switch their gxe guages for se 1's their gonna see/notice how the odometer is set up on the cluster board....Then they'll notice that wire coming out from behind the odometer into the computer panel...They'll be like hmm I wonder if I leave this wire unplugged if my odometer will still continue reading?? Duh it wont. So in a way I aint promoting the idea. Its on the individual which is switching the guages to do whateva they want when they perform the job...Its common sense n I had the ***** to say it out to everyone. The only reason why I brought the odometer issue up in the first place was cuz I believe it was Thebull who asked what to do about it. I think your mad (Ngthing) cuz U bent, twisted, n broke your needles when u switched yours out. It'll be ok my man. It happens, but man your just dripping. Ohh n yes the military did show me how to compile sentences. I dont give a rats a$$ about how I write stuff on the max board. Im just chillen like a villan n I aint gots to worry about writting shizza like a mid term paper/report all fancy n crap. Though my spelling might be off here n there, (since Im latino) I would'nt flame others about how to compile, write, n space sentences n stuff cuz your grammer is all tore up, from the floor n up...Cant even spell sentence.... Opps huh, left yourself wide open for that 1. I did'nt have to go to the military to know that.. ....N since u tried me AGAIN n I think the military I gots to asked you, what does Ngthing stand for??? I think its Nothing but a Chicken Wing..original name, is that what u is huh?...Again my bad....Let me stop... So back to the subject here, my bad Ngthing for suggesting the issue n also trying u. Like I said before, I am sorry. If u wanna continue to bring me to the hells of earth, go for it. Ill just get nothing but lol cuz it'll be No THANG for me ....................................Hey does N E 1 give me brownie points??? Yes/No kinda feel what Im saying about the issue? (About the guages n stuff)
Old 05-09-2001, 12:13 AM

Re: Cant we just chill?

Ngthing why u still saying me this, me that, ripping people off n shizza, promoting offenses. I aint cheating u, my mechanic, others, nor myself. My max still reads the original miles.I dont plan on selling my max N E tyme soon n if I did Id make sure the buyer and I confronted U with the title of the car.At least Thebull gives me a little credit, or kinda knows where Im coming from...Yes I apologise for everything...Am I forgiven? But darn Ngthing your sounding . Did this happen to U or something cuz U just all up in my grill about the whole thing. Put it this way if N E 1 is gonna switch their gxe guages for se 1's their gonna see/notice how the odometer is set up on the cluster board....Then they'll notice that wire coming out from behind the odometer into the computer panel...They'll be like hmm I wonder if I leave this wire unplugged if my odometer will still continue reading?? Duh it wont. So in a way I aint promoting the idea. Its on the individual which is switching the guages to do whateva they want when they perform the job...Its common sense n I had the ***** to say it out to everyone. The only reason why I brought the odometer issue up in the first place was cuz I believe it was Thebull who asked what to do about it. I think your mad (Ngthing) cuz U bent, twisted, n broke your needles when u switched yours out. It'll be ok my man. It happens, but man your just dripping. Ohh n yes the military did show me how to compile sentences. I dont give a rats a$$ about how I write stuff on the max board. Im just chillen like a villan n I aint gots to worry about writting shizza like a mid term paper/report all fancy n crap. Though my spelling might be off here n there, (since Im latino) I would'nt flame others about how to compile, write, n space sentences n stuff cuz your grammer is all tore up, from the floor n up...Cant even spell sentence.... Opps huh, left yourself wide open for that 1. I did'nt have to go to the military to know that.. ....N since u tried me AGAIN n I think the military I gots to asked you, what does Ngthing stand for??? I think its Nothing but a Chicken Wing..original name, is that what u is huh?...Again my bad....Let me stop... So back to the subject here, my bad Ngthing for suggesting the issue n also trying u. Like I said before, I am sorry. If u wanna continue to bring me to the hells of earth, go for it. Ill just get nothing but lol cuz it'll be No THANG for me ....................................Hey does N E 1 give me brownie points??? Yes/No kinda feel what Im saying about the issue? (About the guages n stuff)
Why did I not let the issue slide? because I've known people get screwed outta their hard earned money because they bought a car with a jacked up odometer. When you tell people about "secrets of the trade", now they've got something to go off of. I'm not one for censoring or holding back information...that is if it's legal. I'm not going to argue with you over, if you do this and that there will be a wire, so people will know it's a swapped OD. I suppose, in a way u aint promoting the idea, but in a way u are, and when you have time to come up with a response that isn't throwing out little kiddie comebacks, I'll reply to you. This "backstreet boy doll" and "cuz u bent, twisted, n broke your needles" crap isn't worth refuting.

If you want to know what ngthing stand for, it's what my friends call me, Ng is my last name.
Old 05-09-2001, 12:48 AM

Forgive the words

My bad Ngthing, thats just the way I express myself. Im talking about the kiddie comebacks or whateva u called em. I said that Backstreet crap cuz I posted the thread n I was jumped all over about it with smart remarks like,, hey what a great idea, n wow Im cool changed my odometer... then u brought up that compile crap afterward.That got me all worked up to say em things.... I was'nt putting out the info in a way for others to go n do a fed offense. But yea in a way I did cuz I left it open for that... Like I said my bad. Plus u know Ng, the Maxima Org. has great people in it, smart too n I dont think 99.9% (cant say for all) of em will go out n do this so since u feel like this n everything, just relax cuz we're in the Max org. n mostly all of these maxima owners are not bad n out to steal hard earned money...k ...friends?? Come on give a max owner some luv...especially a 3rd genner...
Old 05-10-2001, 11:15 PM

Oh brother. Sorry.
Old 05-11-2001, 08:33 PM

Thank you oh wise and mighty fourth generation driver. Your wise english teaching techniques have helped me improve my spelling and grammer. HOOKED ON fonix worked for me!!!!!
Old 05-11-2001, 08:50 PM

Thank you oh wise and mighty fourth generation driver. Your wise english teaching techniques have helped me improve my spelling and grammer. HOOKED ON fonix worked for me!!!!!
Old 05-12-2001, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by airmattdog
And this is a new post how? Thanks.
Maybe two wrongs do make a right?
Old 05-12-2001, 10:54 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

i just read this entire thread, and now i believe i'm dumber for doing so. total waste of my time. i think everyone blew it out or proportion a little bit. i mean didnt this start out talking about gauges!?
Old 05-12-2001, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by James92SE
i just read this entire thread, and now i believe i'm dumber for doing so. total waste of my time. i think everyone blew it out or proportion a little bit. i mean didnt this start out talking about gauges!?
i gotta agree with you. i asked a question about the odometer and then all hell broke loose. this gotta be the dumbest ****ing thread ever.
Old 05-12-2001, 01:54 PM

Yeah it blew out of proportion my bad. Did it in any way answer your question though? By the way Ng, I agree with u about the 2 wrongs making a right....lol
Old 05-12-2001, 06:27 PM

um, we'll pretend i meant to do that to up my number of posts.