3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

power loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 08:18 AM
Steindawg

Hey everybody I have a 90 GXE that has been giving me the same problem for the five years I have owned it. When I first start it up I usually let it warm for five to ten minutes. When I finally start out on the road it doesn't have all of its power. It will run any where between 2200- 2500 rpm @ 60 mph instead of the normal 2000. After about ten to fifteen minutes of road time it will act normal. Like I said it has been doing it the whole time I have had it and no one has been able to find anything wrong. I hasn't gotten any worse over that time so I am not really concerned about damage, but I would like to know what it is so I can fix it. Anybody else had anything similar?
Thanks CS

Old 05-08-2001, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Steindawg
Hey everybody I have a 90 GXE that has been giving me the same problem for the five years I have owned it. When I first start it up I usually let it warm for five to ten minutes. When I finally start out on the road it doesn't have all of its power. It will run any where between 2200- 2500 rpm @ 60 mph instead of the normal 2000. After about ten to fifteen minutes of road time it will act normal. Like I said it has been doing it the whole time I have had it and no one has been able to find anything wrong. I hasn't gotten any worse over that time so I am not really concerned about damage, but I would like to know what it is so I can fix it. Anybody else had anything similar?
Thanks CS

I don't really see where your problem is. I don't even think you have a problem. I think several people on this board once pointed out to me that it doesn't matter how long you warm your car up. The only real way to warm it up is to drive it...that's what gets all the fluids going.
In the first few minutes of driving I try to stay below 35mph or in first gear(I have an Auto too but you can tell when it switches gears). That way the car warms up and there are no problems.
Are you experiencing this during the winter or summer? Right now we have 60 degree temps in the morning in MA so I usually let the car idle for about 30 seconds then I drive it slowly for a min. or two and then I let her rip.
Hope that helps.

Roman
Old 05-08-2001, 09:48 AM

Over Drive will not engage until the transmission fulid reaches an operating temperature of 122F (50C). This is the point that the RPM's drop.