3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

few new pics of my car; questions about our stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 07:09 AM

few new pics of my car; questions about our stock wheels

Ok, thought i would put some pics in this thread.

But first my questions.

Ok so im gonna upgrade to an intrax/tokico drop and soon be putting new rims and tires on my car. Ill be putting in new cv axles as well, since they are bout dead.
My first question is in regards to the last picture. I took my huge ugly center caps off and so are we supposed to have those gold cap covers on the front as well as on the back, because i dont have them on the front. You can see my cotterpin or whatever on the front. I like the car better with them off.

Second question is....is it normal that my rear pass. side wheel doesnt spin nearly as free as my drivers side rear wheel? I jacked up the car and spun it and it was like a little munchkin was on the other side stopping it from spinning... wondering if that is having an effect on mpg or anything else or if its just that my brake is on tight or something, i dont know.
If anyone has any answers that would be great. thanks guys.

ok some pictures (each pic is a link to the larger version).......its stock looking but i cleaned it all up after my accident. Soon ill put up pics of my car dropped with some new rims, its just work takes up my time....enjoi

Old 04-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That gold cap is only on the rears
the cotter pin in the front one goes through the axle and that's why you dont have it in the back. The gold cap is some kinda dust cover for the rear bearings.

might wanna adjust your e-brake if the wheel is dragging or could be a sticky caliper (lube the slider pins)
Old 04-10-2005, 07:41 AM

thanks craig, ill look into adjusting the e-brake. if that doesnt work then when i change out the struts/springs/axles Ill lub the slider pins.

hey craig one more question, if the brake light isnt on until I pull the ebrake then it should be fine right?

should that light come on when the first notch is hit or when its bout to hit first notch?? ill adjust it so it comes on when the first notch is hit.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:14 AM

The light means that the handle is engaged (or low brake fluid) but doesn't necessarily mean the calipers are engaged or not. I've never messed with mine on the maxima, but I know on lots of other cars, there are adjustments that can be made to the cable to tighten/loosen and possibly adjust the balance.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:54 AM

well just remembered i got drums in the back.......so the whole grease up the caliper isnt really gonna happen. the light comes on when the first notch is engaged (as it says it should in the FSM) so thats good. Brake fluid is normal.....im thinking either need new shoes in back or something.....
Old 04-10-2005, 12:01 PM

if you have an SE, which is looks like you do from the pics, you should have discs all around
only GXEs had drums in back
Old 04-10-2005, 12:07 PM

oh well i sorta looked there and i thought they were drums....

and i do have an SE. so i guess ill just lube up the caliper pins........

Thanks Craig, youre always helpful.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

it could also be the piston itself sticking. I had a sticking caliper from the piston not the pins. If you are lucky its the pins and you can easily fix that if not you will need a caliper rebuild kit and some patience.

My problems with the pistons sticking was because of the boot being torn and moisture getting in and rusting the caliper and piston itself. Then the piston would hang because of this. I cured it by sanding the rust off and rebuilding the caliper.

Most of the time though it is like Craig said and lubing the pins will work.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:58 PM

thanks michael........ill have a "car nut" with me when i do my suspension and axles so he can help me.......although he loves mustangs ill let him help me.