3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

parking brake / rear caliper issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 05:42 PM
what can my max do for me

parking brake / rear caliper issue

ok so for quite some time my parking brake has been rather useless...the handle just sorta bounces around as i drive and there's no tension on it all. i changed the rear pads and rotors and found the calipers sliding properly and was able to screw the piston in and out without any binding and bled them as well. the only other thing i could think off was the spring mechanism actuated by the parking brake cable. so i took another look at them and found the driver side bound up pretty bad. i sprayed both sides down with some cleaner and pb blaster and got them freed up. i then tried cycling the parking brake and though it felt better there still isn't the tension that there should be. i should also probably mention that the adjuster nut on the brake handle is completely bottomed out.

thoughts? ideas?
Old 04-10-2005, 08:58 PM

there is a key on the pad that is supposed to match up with the caliper so that the piston doesnt just twist around when applying the parking brake.....maybe that is not together right.
Also, there is a proceedure for adjusting the parking brake that i think involves putting an 1/8 inch drill bit behind the arm on the caliper and adjusting the cable with the drill bit in place. thats all that i can think of right now.........good luck
Old 04-11-2005, 01:33 AM
what can my max do for me

thanks Drivin Maxima,

can anyone elaborate on this adjustment procedure? this is the first i've heard of but that's no shocker.

as for the pad, do you mean that the inboard pad actually keyes in the piston?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:24 AM

hope this helps

here are two pictures i snapped out of the FSM. hope it helps

pic 1

pic 2

let me know if you need more or anyting else.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by DaWifey's90
thanks Drivin Maxima,

can anyone elaborate on this adjustment procedure? this is the first i've heard of but that's no shocker.

as for the pad, do you mean that the inboard pad actually keyes in the piston?
Yeah there should be a little "nipple" (sorry, it's the best word I could think of at the time to describe it) kinda thing on the back of the inboard pad and a little recess or notch cut out in the piston that the "nipple" thing has to sit in.
As for the drill bit technique.....it is a trick used on Fords with rear disc, but I was told that it may work elsewhere too. It is to loosen the cable adustment until the cable to the calipers are slack...tighten until the caliper lever moves........position a 1/4 inch drill bit or dowel into the caliper alignment hole, and adjust cable so that the lever is not hittin the dowel or bit. Now this is what my book says to do for Fords, but my teacher told me that it can work on other vehicles set up the sme way. So i guess take a look and give it a try..............Good luck