3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

anyway to get ahold of more than just touch up paint.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 01:01 AM

anyway to get ahold of more than just touch up paint.....

whoever had my car before me, must have been in an accident and gotten a terrible paint job over the front bumper that was obviously replaced. Basically a small section of the paint is bubbling and coming off. I peeled most of it off and there is a section on my front bumper about the size of my hand that is unpainted. (about 6-7 inches in diameter). Now, i'm not picky, i just want to hide this nasty section with some paint so that you won't notice this section untill ur about 5ft within the car.
Touch-up paint only comes in a very small tube that is just a little bigger than a nail-polish container.
my question is, does Nissan sell spray-paint size cans for touch-up's a little bigger than nail-polish size containers or do some of you know of a store/website that sells color code spray-paint? thanx.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Take a can of your touch up paint, or take your car, and go to an auto body paint shop and see if they can mix up some paint for you.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:37 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Most of your local auto body paint and supply stores can mix a small amount for you by color code. Get a pint, and then buy an aerosol spray bottle kit from the same place. With this kit you won't have to invest in all kinds of air tools and equipment. One bottle should be enough for the bumper area. If you want to, buy extra cartridges. Not precisely professional, but pretty darn close and better than Krylon.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:02 AM

try paintscratch.com
Old 04-11-2005, 06:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Speaking of that, has anyone repainted their spoiler? All three of mine look sun-baked. One little can would do it.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by nelledge
Most of your local auto body paint and supply stores can mix a small amount for you by color code. Get a pint, and then buy an aerosol spray bottle kit from the same place. With this kit you won't have to invest in all kinds of air tools and equipment. One bottle should be enough for the bumper area. If you want to, buy extra cartridges. Not precisely professional, but pretty darn close and better than Krylon.
only problem with that is you need to reduce the paint A LOT more than what's listed in the p-sheet of the paint. the aerosol spray (preval) might not have enough air power to get anything more than a small touch up area..esp w/ metalliacs and pearls.

the cans you get from paintscratch contains a very very small amount of actual paint...most of it is reducer/propellent.

my recommendation...if you're looking to paint a small panel then get the paint from paintscratch...1 color (base) and 2 clear cans "should" do it.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by bhunter
Speaking of that, has anyone repainted their spoiler? All three of mine look sun-baked. One little can would do it.
I have a Stillen one that I need to get painted one day. I just haven't been able to get it apart to replace a couple of burned out LED bulbs.

My stock one is coming up on the ends. If you paint the stock one, you might want to put some kind of flex agent in the paint, since they are soft foamy crap.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Paint Repair

i have been looking over this and agree paintscratch.com is good but i have a question

how could it match up from paintscratch yes it is maybe the same color code but
depending on the wear and tear on your paint it might not match up correctly wright?

to my own car i have 1 spot rear passenger corner panel about the size of a quarter should i paint the whole rear panel to be safe or paint just that spot and when the paint hardens try to buff it to the same color?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:38 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by DanNY
my recommendation...if you're looking to paint a small panel then get the paint from paintscratch...1 color (base) and 2 clear cans "should" do it.
After careful consideration.... I concur.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
I have a Stillen one that I need to get painted one day. I just haven't been able to get it apart to replace a couple of burned out LED bulbs.

My stock one is coming up on the ends. If you paint the stock one, you might want to put some kind of flex agent in the paint, since they are soft foamy crap.

no flex agent required on something that is already installed on the vehicle.

A lot of people have a misconception about flex agents. Flex agent is just a chemical you mix with your paint that like other chemicals you mix in there (reducer) will eventually evaporate. Flex is normally just used if you are going to paint something off of the car and then installing it later. You may need the extra flex while doing that.

Urethane paints (todays paints) are flexible by nature and dont need a flex agent for bumpers, kits, or spoilers if you paint them on the car.

I dont know how long flex agents last but do know they evaporate and you are back to having your normal paint anyway.

If you do use flex you only use it in the clear not the base.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by bhunter
looks like matt did
Old 04-11-2005, 09:08 PM

i painted my spoiler with a can from my paint shop and my bumper and buffed it it looks real good make sure u get enamel and not just a base coat