3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Removing rear studs, how much to drop engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 09:18 AM

Removing rear studs, how much to drop engine? Updated with new prob.....

Okay, I just replaced the front Exhaust manifold studs, took about 3 hours total. Not bad at all. Now I am going to start tackling the rear studs. I had 3 broken up front and I can see at least 2 broken in back. Question. After reading the stickies on this, everyone says remove the crossmember and rear motor mount and bracket and after that you can lower the engine. How much can I lower the engine? A couple of inches or more like 6" or so. It seems as though the axles would keep it from moving too much right?.....Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by jasba
Okay, I just replaced the front Exhaust manifold studs, took about 3 hours total. Not bad at all. Now I am going to start tackling the rear studs. I had 3 broken up front and I can see at least 2 broken in back. Question. After reading the stickies on this, everyone says remove the crossmember and rear motor mount and bracket and after that you can lower the engine. How much can I lower the engine? A couple of inches or more like 6" or so. It seems as though the axles would keep it from moving too much right?.....Thanks in advance for any help.

I just did this two weeks ago.....just move it enough to be able to access all the studs. I just adjusted the height, crawled under the car with a wrench, and repeated till it was in a good spot.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:09 AM

Okay, just ran into a problem. The rear Crossmember to Motor mount bolts do not have enough room to slide out after removing the large nut. How in the world do I get that one out shown in the picture? First picture shows the bolt with obstruction right behind it, preventing it from being hammered out. Second pic is other side, with rear bolt still in, but I can get that one out.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

You might have to take out the 1 motor mount bolt above it and drop the x-member with the motor mount.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:53 AM

Thanks, I figured it out once I got back under it again. Just dropped the engine a little and it cleared. Now I'm starting on the Manifold studs. Only problem now is that power steering pump is going to be in the way of drilling the broken stud on the passenger side.......I really do not want to remove the PS pump.....I replaced my pressure hose a couple of months ago and it was a real pain.....
Old 04-13-2005, 01:02 PM

Okay, just broke off one of the screw extractors in my stud in the head. Fun. How in the world am I going to drill that thing out.......
Old 04-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by jasba
Okay, just broke off one of the screw extractors in my stud in the head. Fun. How in the world am I going to drill that thing out.......

You're basically screwed. Did you read the write-up I wrote on this 2 weeks ago? I mentioned that a #2 extractor is too small and Aaron92SE snapped his off in the head. Oh well. I think the head has to come off to get it out, unless you can somehow wiggle it out if it didn't break off clean.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
You're basically screwed. Did you read the write-up I wrote on this 2 weeks ago? I mentioned that a #2 extractor is too small and Aaron92SE snapped his off in the head. Oh well. I think the head has to come off to get it out, unless you can somehow wiggle it out if it didn't break off clean.
yeah, I read the thread, I just had a hard time centering the drill bit on each one. I used the smaller extractor on the first 4, and they came out really easily. I was able to drill another hole right next to the broken bit, but it is still not budging as of right now......I'm gonna take a break for some food and then hit it again later. May wait until tomorrow to see if the pb blaster will work some more....only torch I have is a small butane, but I may try heating the head a little too. Thanks for the info....