3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ac condensor/dryer

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 12:40 AM
94c Big Max

ac condensor/dryer

Hey guys, I wanna swap out my ac condensor & dryer. Would anyone please tell me where are the good web site with instructions on how to do it? And what parts do I needed, would you happened to know all of the OE gasket/o ring parts number? And how much of these gasket/o ring will I needed? Does Autozone has it?
Old 04-16-2005, 07:56 AM
blacks92seAuto

unless you have the proper equipment to take out the freon fromy our system and stuff, I would just go to a shop and have the ac serviced, it cang et dangerous if you dont know what you are doing, or have the right equipment

Old 04-16-2005, 06:47 PM
mod or sell?

I'll assume your condenser is leaking, so chances are this nothing to remove from the system.
when you purchase the parts theyt should come with the neccesary gaskets and o'rings.
and for your knowledge as well as most other members. the cost of R134a has nearly Quadrupled from last year.
oh and here's a source for the parts :http://internetautomart.com/maxima/3rdgen/cool.html
Old 04-16-2005, 07:54 PM
94c Big Max

I got r1394a system, this is serviceable and diy. The hole in my consedor is big as a tooth pick right now and there is virtually 0 psi of pressure left. There shouldn't any problem discharging and taking it apart. I've heard lots of you guys here had done it. anyone? please help, I just need those how-to instructions... that's all. Internetautomar, if you like me to buy your parts, please source me those threads here with proper instructions....
Old 04-16-2005, 08:38 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by bvtran
I got r1394a system, this is serviceable and diy. The hole in my consedor is big as a tooth pick right now and there is virtually 0 psi of pressure left. There shouldn't any problem discharging and taking it apart.
On that note: If you want the system to last once you fix it, do it right. That means if you have a toothpick hole in the system, you probably have a lot of moisture in the system as well. It's not just about being able to recharge. You also need to take the extra step and evacuate it with a machine. This will rid you of detrimental factors, such as incorrect oil, incorrect oil quantities, and(the killer to an a/c system) moisture.

Then again, you may get another two summers before anything costly occurs. Do you really want to take that chance? Pay a little now or a lot more down the road? Up to you.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:36 AM
mod or sell?

there is no thread that I know of on replacing the condensor and drier, mostly because they are bolt on and bolt off. fairly straightforward replacement.
you still need to have the system vacummed down because it is now at atmospheric pressure, and that leaves no place for the refrigerant to go.
and don't worry about moisture in the system that's the drier / accumulators job
Old 04-17-2005, 07:45 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by internetautomar
and don't worry about moisture in the system that's the drier / accumulators job
That's one of the most peculiar things I've heard you say. From one to another, it's definitely a parts guy answer. The dessicant and/or charcoal in a dryer is not an infinite amount. It is meant to control minute amounts of moisture in a closed system. Actually, it becomes saturated quickly with small amounts. Too much moisture introduced into a new dryer would lead to a call to a parts guy for a new one. Why risk it? You said yourself to have a vacuum put on the system anyway.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:55 AM
mod or sell?

he's replacing the drier at the same time.
that's why I said not to worry about the moisture.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:14 AM
94c Big Max

ok, so how much does it costs to have the condensor/drier replaced? what's a good price, so I could call around?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:14 AM

I went to NAPA's update class a few months back... and walked away with a whole bunch of booklets with new procedures, part listings, and prices. But all that is at home on the other side of the world. Oh well, what can you do.

And to maximize the life out of your system, I would clear out the whole system. My not be a bad idea to go ahead and replace the orifice tube at the same time, or atleast inspect it.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:32 PM

I reccomend pulling a vacuum on the system after you have worked on it not only to clear the moisture and debris out, but to see if you have repaired the leaks properly by seeing if your system holds a vacuum..
Old 05-01-2005, 08:47 PM

nelledge is right, the system needs to be pumped down before recharging. (and that was a parts guy answer, interautomart ).
Old 05-02-2005, 06:32 AM
mod or sell?

it's called vaccumed down
Old 05-02-2005, 10:39 AM

I work with ultra-high vacuum technology, so don't tell me.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by eric93SE
I work with ultra-high vacuum technology, so don't tell me.
sucks to be you then :nyah: