3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Foggy Fog Light: Does it come apart?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 09:34 AM

Foggy Fog Light: Does it come apart?

I can't search, so....

Can the stock fog lights from a '93 SE be disassembled so that I can clean the reflector behind the lens and bulb? I thought I looked a long time ago and it didn't look like they come apart, but a Nissan parts source on the web lists a lens separately from the complete unit. I was thinking of picking up a whole unit from Ebay or locally, but if I can get the thing apart... cool. Can't find anything in the service manual that shows/says.

One of my fogs has a real foggy/dirty reflector so it's not worth much now, but it seems that it's still sealed... no moisture inside.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JC93SE
I can't search, so....

Can the stock fog lights from a '93 SE be disassembled so that I can clean the reflector behind the lens and bulb? I thought I looked a long time ago and it didn't look like they come apart, but a Nissan parts source on the web lists a lens separately from the complete unit. I was thinking of picking up a whole unit from Ebay or locally, but if I can get the thing apart... cool. Can't find anything in the service manual that shows/says.

One of my fogs has a real foggy/dirty reflector so it's not worth much now, but it seems that it's still sealed... no moisture inside.
It can be taken apart but it is not easy. I took one apart but the lens was already broken. You have to peel away the sealant which is a pain. Clean up everything, then apply new sealant and rubber band it together for a few days to cure. The sealant is the only thing that holds the glass on.
Once you have the halves apart, you might be able to clean it all without removing the lens itself with some cleaning solution that you could shake around in there.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:08 AM

Hmmm. OK. What kind of sealant do you recommend?

It's practically worthless now... so I guess it can't hurt to give it a shot.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

why...new assemblies are only $25 each at the discount dealers (courtesy etc) that assembly includes the reflector including the sealed glass.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:49 PM

Sounds kinda low for the whole thing. Lowest I saw was $35 for the lens itself at another dealer online and like $130 or $150 for the whole unit.

But, I will check with Courtesy and check around a bit more.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Way out West

I thought the $25 thing from Courtesy was only the glass?

Mine come apart pretty easy (the glass comes off the housing). and I have cleaned the inside a few times.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:53 PM

I thought I would check for a link to "Courtesy" in the SPONSORS section but when I clicked there it gave me "File doesn't exist etc". Sez Maxima.org apologizes and all and will shortly whoop the webmaster with a connecting rod. While I'm waitin' for THAT show to begin, anybody got a link to Courtesy?

thanks!

'bird
Old 04-17-2005, 06:03 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by tbird88
anybody got a link to Courtesy?

thanks!

'bird
Here's the link. The internet is your friend Use it with wreckless abandonment!
Old 04-18-2005, 04:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JC93SE
Hmmm. OK. What kind of sealant do you recommend?

It's practically worthless now... so I guess it can't hurt to give it a shot.
I used a Urethane sealant. It was gray, looked like the original.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:19 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

OK to clear up some confusion let me state what comes with the $25 "glass" even though I already did up a couple of posts.

If you buy the $25 glass (its cheaper if you call them and mention maxima.org) you get the whole sealed unit. That is the glass that is sealed to the reflector. You dont get the black plastic that the sealed unit goes into though.

Why am I even being second guessed...I know all things Maxima LOL j/k...seriously I know about this though since I have bought a couple. I went ahead and got both since they were so cheap and because that one nice shiny fog will make the old one look funny.

OK found my pic I have posted quite a few times on this subject. Here is my old sealed fog light "glass" on the right (notice the rusted metal inside showing its one piece) and the part number is right there on the box to the left. There is no need to seperate the glass because it comes as a whole unit. All you do is pull the old "glass" out swap bulbs (or put new ones in the new units) and put the new "glass" in.

I put glass in quotes throughout this post because its more than just the glass.

Old 04-19-2005, 08:22 AM

My foglights rusted and just literally fell off in my driveway when I washing my car one day (one of em anyway). Then about 2 weeks later I was leaving the diner and headin to my car when I noticed the other was hangin out for dear life so I just took that off too.

Now I have 2 ugly rusted things that once were foglights.

Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to take off the back of the light (not the glass, but the plastic part the glass is connected to).

Is that included in that kit you speak of, awsm66?? I would like new foglights if I could em for a good price...or if not, I would just like to remove the ugly rusted part (the part behind the glass in your pic).

Thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
Why am I even being second guessed...I know all things Maxima LOL j/k...

u da man!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by LMaRiE91MaXiMa
My foglights rusted and just literally fell off in my driveway when I washing my car one day (one of em anyway). Then about 2 weeks later I was leaving the diner and headin to my car when I noticed the other was hangin out for dear life so I just took that off too.

Now I have 2 ugly rusted things that once were foglights.

Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to take off the back of the light (not the glass, but the plastic part the glass is connected to).

Is that included in that kit you speak of, awsm66?? I would like new foglights if I could em for a good price...or if not, I would just like to remove the ugly rusted part (the part behind the glass in your pic).

Thanks

its not a kit, the plastic is not included (and it doesnt need to be). Once again for the millionth time lol...the part you see in my pic is what you get for the glass. Nissan doesnt sell JUST the front glass...they call it the glass but its the whole sealed unit...glass and reflector (rusty part that is left on your car). So yes $50 ($25 per assembly) will replace the rust part and glass on your car.

Now to get to it and swap it is fairly easy. First take the fog down by looking up at the bracket where it meets the bumper. There are 2 10mm bolts per side that need to come off. then drop the whole assembly. There are 2 screws holding the lens assy in from the back so undo those 2 screws and the whole fog assy will come out (in your case just the rusted metal part).

Take the new glass assemblies out of the box, put a new bulb in and put it back in the plastic housing using the 2 screws to secure it.

Again call some of the discount nissan dealers and get the glass for $25 or so each. You can use my picture for the part number. I actually got mine from pennicle because they had the low price on their site and I didnt have to call up anyone and ask for a discount. That was before I had heard about courtesy though.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
its not a kit, the plastic is not included (and it doesnt need to be). Once again for the millionth time lol...the part you see in my pic is what you get for the glass. Nissan doesnt sell JUST the front glass...they call it the glass but its the whole sealed unit...glass and reflector (rusty part that is left on your car). So yes $50 ($25 per assembly) will replace the rust part and glass on your car.

Now to get to it and swap it is fairly easy. First take the fog down by looking up at the bracket where it meets the bumper. There are 2 10mm bolts per side that need to come off. then drop the whole assembly. There are 2 screws holding the lens assy in from the back so undo those 2 screws and the whole fog assy will come out (in your case just the rusted metal part).

Take the new glass assemblies out of the box, put a new bulb in and put it back in the plastic housing using the 2 screws to secure it.

Again call some of the discount nissan dealers and get the glass for $25 or so each. You can use my picture for the part number. I actually got mine from pennicle because they had the low price on their site and I didnt have to call up anyone and ask for a discount. That was before I had heard about courtesy though.
Thanks...no wonder your name is awsm huh?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 AM

It looks like you just need to buy part #26151 for about $34.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1648_1659.html
Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jaymez619
It looks like you just need to buy part #26151 for about $34.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1648_1659.html
Good work. But if you scroll up to post #10, Michael already put up a pic of the box with the part# on it for reference.