3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

elecrtical question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:44 AM

elecrtical question battery terminal magic!

Why is it that my positive battery terminal likes to get all corroded.......I cleaned the crap out of it about a month ago when i did the ground kit from matt93se......and today when i went to start my car i got nothing, not even a click.....

so i checked to see if i drained the battery, nothing was left on, i wiggled the ground connection and it was loose. so tightened that and no go.....so why is it that my pos terminal will get all that cocaine build up....i didnt snort it to see if it was actually cocaine but it looks like it.....is a wirebrush and some scrubbin the best way to stop corrosion like that or should i use some grease for terminals??? or both?

it just seems weird that a month after being cleaned and its so bad that my car wont even start.

if someone has some insight that would be great.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:05 AM

Well, here's my best guess. I'm not an engineer for a battery company, but have had to deal enough with them.

Sounds like you have 2 problems... one causes the other. Sounds like your battery has a leak for vapor to escape, and when your water/acid mix starts getting low, the easier it is for the amperage put out by the alternator to heat up the battery.

Check your batterie's level, it's more than likely really low... and since it's leaking, might want to think about getting a new one.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:13 AM

thanks for the reply ben.......here is some more info.

the battery tested as a good battery by autozone and id tested it before i took it there and got the same results.....there happens to be a bit of liquid on the top sometimes......my car always starts right up and never takes anytime.....

i did get a bad smell after i hooked everything back up but it went away.

so the battery terminal is getting too hot and is causing the build up of cocaine? or the vapor of it is getting stuck on the pos terminal?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:22 AM
mod or sell?

put a couple of "battery washers" around the terminal under the cable.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:30 AM

never heard of those....an actual washer to put on the terminal? or could i just pick a couple up at store.....
Old 04-18-2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
the battery tested as a good battery by autozone and id tested it before i took it there and got the same results.....
Did they LOAD test the battery? Even a battery low on fluid can pass the usual Microvat tests. But will fail LOAD tests. I'm not sure if autozone uses the actual load testers anymore. Plus, using the washers will keep the corosion under control... for a little while. But it won't stop the leaking.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:33 AM

ok ill look into a load test. my buddy and I are gonna do my suspension this weekend if everything holds up and his dads shop will be able to do a load test on it.

i guess ill just continue to save up the cocaine residue and sell it to tyron biggums to pay for a new battery.........
Old 04-18-2005, 08:36 AM
mod or sell?

never heard of those....an actual washer to put on the terminal? or could i just pick a couple up at store.....
it's not a metal washer, it's a felt washer.
any place that sells car batteries should have them for like 1 or 2 for the pair.
usually one red and one green
Old 04-18-2005, 08:51 AM

For good info, go here: http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8004fe7a.jsp
Old 04-18-2005, 09:00 AM

sweet didnt think to look there since those idiots didnt do much in the help department, ill try that battery leakage test.........
Old 04-18-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm needing a caw

Reading is goodly! Some very basic information. Please look at the REPAIR info in the stickies before asking. It might help answer your questions alot faster.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8004fe8b.jsp

Why is it that my positive battery terminal likes to get all corroded.......I cleaned the crap out of it about a month ago when i did the ground kit from matt93se......and today when i went to start my car i got nothing, not even a click.....

so i checked to see if i drained the battery, nothing was left on, i wiggled the ground connection and it was loose. so tightened that and no go.....so why is it that my pos terminal will get all that cocaine build up....i didnt snort it to see if it was actually cocaine but it looks like it.....is a wirebrush and some scrubbin the best way to stop corrosion like that or should i use some grease for terminals??? or both?

it just seems weird that a month after being cleaned and its so bad that my car wont even start.

if someone has some insight that would be great.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:54 AM

yes i will be more goodly from now on and keep before i post questions.......
Old 04-19-2005, 12:59 AM

Yeah, but then what we would all do here on the forum????
Old 04-19-2005, 03:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kcidmil
Yeah, but then what we would all do here on the forum????
Ask people to write more FAQ's?

The felt washers for the posts can be very helpful in absorbing "the crud". I use them. Also, after all your hard work cleaning the posts, be sure to coat them with dielectric grease before fastening down the cables. (a little dab'll do ya)
Old 04-19-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by hadman
Ask people to write more FAQ's?

The felt washers for the posts can be very helpful in absorbing "the crud". I use them. Also, after all your hard work cleaning the posts, be sure to coat them with dielectric grease before fastening down the cables. (a little dab'll do ya)
Yes, that will keep contact ON.

Clean batt terminal so that it shines, and scrape the batt top plastic around it also. Then seal terminal allaround with silicone or some other sealAnt. [not on terminal contact area] This will stop the acid leak.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:50 PM

MAXIMA 93 ELECTRICAL sys. radio PLEASE HELP, FUSES or FUSE LINKS

Hi,

Two month ago I installed a new alpine radio system in my car. Every thing was working all, until two days ago. I was driving as I do every day (radio at a mute) and suddenly my clock, radio, Digital entry system and air bag (air bag light goes on - meaning circuit problem) stop working. Can someone please tell me how these items are connected because I cheeked all the fuses and I didn't find any problems?

Thanks I will really appreciate the help
Old 04-25-2005, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
This will stop the acid leak.
Technically speaking, the acid does not leak unless the battery overflows. When there's a vapor leak, the acid is actually left behind in the battery. That's why when you service a battery, you only use treated water, and not more acid.