3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

getting a SE auto that wont move- sudgetions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Alex_V

getting a SE auto that wont move- sudgetions?

Im going to take a F-150 and trailer down there to get it but if I can drive it up on the trailer (might as well not waste the gas and make sure the car gets there) or just drive home that would be killer. The owner said it doesn't move and the starter is dead. I figured at worst the engin and tranny are 100% toast, but thats fine, my engin and tranny work. But only the tranny needs work from what she said. And its got a little rust but for $300 that doesn't matter...It is lether but I'll swap out my seats. (I hate leather)

So if any one knows somesimple stuff that may cause a auto tranny to not shift at all LMK. Im guessing the tranny is just trashed like autos commonly do but my 90 has had zero tranny problems its whole life.

And I really appciate it alot. Id donate right now but a maxima is more imporant then the search feature! Ill donate this month though.

~Alex

Old 04-19-2005, 07:21 PM

what color is the leather? i'll take it if it's tan.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:26 PM

since you hate leather, and if its black, i got dibs on the leather
Old 04-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Alex_V

Its got a black exterior so Im guessing black lether then, mi right?

As far as the tranny goes since the car wont move at all and if the tranyn its self is fine, maybe its a broken linkages, bad bushing or something like that? Any way Im looking at every sticky right now...

~Alex

Edit- about the tranny not working, could it be low egnough on ATF that the tourqe converter doesn't have egnough to function?

Old 04-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Its got a black exterior so Im guessing black lether then, mi right?

As far as the tranny goes since the car wont move at all and if the tranyn its self is fine, maybe its a broken linkages, bad bushing or something like that? Any way Im looking at every sticky right now...

~Alex

Edit- about the tranny not working, could it be low egnough on ATF that the tourqe converter doesn't have egnough to function?

it will either be black or tan. My black SE had tan interior as well as my black GXE.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:55 AM

Very well might be the low ATF level. But you still won't know until you get there. And I bet you can run to Walmart and buy a couple quarts of ATF to top up any time, right? I'd prepared myself for the worst, 'cause noone is stupid, including the old owner. Why would've she sold it if it was simply the case of low ATF?
Old 04-20-2005, 06:25 AM

the last i talked to that lady alex she said that it made a funny noise and she didnt want to get it fixed, take a good battery with you and some ATF and see if that takes care of the problem.......

since i hooked you up with this car, i get the leather, hehe
Old 04-20-2005, 07:30 AM
Alex_V

Gmax- I was planning on that and my basic tool set. I was more or less wondering if maybe a bushing would be out or linakge and I could just replace it there. But Im just going to assume it does need a new tranny so if its small like that its just a bounus if its a simple/cheap fix. No big deal if its not of course.

Tarzan- Right and if thats all it is, thats just a killer bounus. Like I said before Im talking a truck and trailer so if it needs more work then simple stuff thats fine.