3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cup holder in center ( between seats)??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cup holder in center ( between seats)??

I'm looking for an alternative to the center dash cup holder. I don't like the idea of having a cup in one hand, the wheel in the other and trying to adjust the stero with ,,,, well heck I'm all outta hands!! I'm not a donating member (YET payday commeth quickly, yes I'm that broke) so I can't search, so I don't know if anyone has tried to do this yet. I am wondering if anyone has put a cup holder or 2 in the flip up area over the e-brake handle?? It appears to me there could be enough room to go down an inch or 2, mabye slip in a store bought holder of some sort. So, what y'all think???
Old 04-20-2005, 07:51 PM

Yeah people have done that or they mounted one on the side of the center console near the shifter. Theres a screw down there which you can attach a cup holder too. Some people found a giant cup holder tray thing and put it in there you can get it at a local auto shop and just cram it between seats.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Im izz sexay

Find a DIN cupholder. People use the Taurus cupholder or the Saab 9000 cupholder. They fit right under the stereo.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by VG Ill ridah
Find a DIN cupholder. People use the Taurus cupholder or the Saab 9000 cupholder. They fit right under the stereo.
And block it, and the ashtray, when in use.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:48 PM

but it has the sweet coin seperator tray
Old 04-20-2005, 09:27 PM

I made one in the center console (too lazy to get a pic; do a search, it should come up somewhere) The way I set it up, you raise the center armrest and the two cupholders are under that. I used abs plastic and cut two cup-sized holes, screwed the armrest back on ontop of the abs plastic. Have had it for over a year now, comes in real handy and is out of the way. I'll get a pic later.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:54 PM

Yes!! Finally, I've spent the last 2 hrs looking at a million cheap A$$ cup holders on line and was ready to give up for the night. A pic, whenever you can would be excellant. Danke!!
Old 04-21-2005, 02:47 AM
what can my max do for me

Originally Posted by VG Ill ridah

the only thing that i hate about that idea (aside of having a ford/gm part in my max) is that i went ahead and started installing a later gen max double din headunit.

a lil flip-out job from the center armrest (like my mom's benz) would be sweet.
maybe i can take a dremel to her car and some duct tape to install it on my car
Old 04-21-2005, 06:27 AM
mod or sell?

now go ahead and call me crazy but

that may or may not work. but it has clearance for the e-brake handle
Old 04-21-2005, 06:35 AM
Way out West

that looks nice (can't tell if it will fit)

In my new QX4, the two cupholders behind the e-brake pull out of the console so you can clean them. I will have to take them out and see if they will fit (maybe with a little modification) in the console of the Maxima. They are fairly narrow and deep enough to hold a large coffee or pop securely.

I think the same cupholders are used in the newer Pathfinder, too, so they might be something you can find in a junkyard.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:12 PM

cup holders from 93 sables and tarues fit in the max
Old 04-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Works just fine for me.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:59 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by avmaldo

Works just fine for me.
thats what im talkin about
Old 04-21-2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by 3rdcharm
cup holders from 93 sables and tarues fit in the max
UUUMMM Hello people!!!!!!! READ THE POST!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 06:11 PM

Here's mine I made from sheet metal and painted black, which is well worn by now. It holds two regular drinks from Wendy's and closes when there's one 12oz can. As you can see, there's also a side part to put something else.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:00 PM

Wendy's is the bomb! I used to work there, and hated how the biggie drinks won't fit in the stock cupholder. Thats a pretty sweet cupholder though.

Avmaldo, wait till you get to the UofA and that silly hat will be put to real use!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:43 PM

WENDY'S SUCKS!!!!!!! I have NEVER had any hot food from that crap hole!! WENDY'S " The Home of $hitty Cold Square Burgers" Tho, the Frosty does kick A$$. On another note Ghostmax, I like the idea, and with permission I will steal and refine it, ummk?
Old 04-22-2005, 06:09 AM

Mine's like that but with a few differences: it's made of abs plastic, it screws down in the stock position (the leftmost screw in the picture) and it is centered in that console.

Originally Posted by ghostmax
Here's mine I made from sheet metal and painted black, which is well worn by now. It holds two regular drinks from Wendy's and closes when there's one 12oz can. As you can see, there's also a side part to put something else.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:29 AM

Hey, man maybe the Wendy's you go to sucks, but mine was awesome, all the old people came. I used to talk to some 70 year old about his maxima daily. It was a 4th gen and all he told me about is how he changed the air filter a lot to get good mileage, lol. Wendy's=Old People
Old 04-22-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by garbury
Wendy's=Old People

That has to be it!! I guess the management at the Wendy's around here are afraid of burning the old folk's on meat, hense, cold burgers = good burgers. Odd way to think but I guess it works. They still as far as I'm concerned. HARDEES THICKBURGERS
Old 04-22-2005, 01:54 PM

If anyone is interested, I have a Taurus/Saab cupholder that's in great condition, I'm asking $20 + shipping for it
Old 04-22-2005, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by DMad8724
If anyone is interested, I have a Taurus/Saab cupholder that's in great condition, I'm asking $20 + shipping for it
Hey jag off so do 10 guys on Ebay, go hock your wears elsewhere. I'm trying to ask for help not sell your goods.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:19 PM

cupholder? whatcha need one of those for? you're supposed to be shaving with your left hand looking into the rear view mirror, have a cell phone held to your right ear with your right shoulder, have a cup of coffee between your legs, and type somthing on your laptop with your right hand...or find somthing else to occupy your right hand with anyway...
Old 04-22-2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
cupholder? whatcha need one of those for? you're supposed to be shaving with your left hand looking into the rear view mirror, have a cell phone held to your right ear with your right shoulder, have a cup of coffee between your legs, and type somthing on your laptop with your right hand...or find somthing else to occupy your right hand with anyway...
Cupholder DEF thing that holds the damn cup while I drive. And Pal I've got your thing to occupy your right hand right here
Old 04-22-2005, 09:34 PM

I bought my taurus cup holders from a junk yard, I did see a few saab's but could not find any cupholders inside them??

Long story short I paid $5
Old 04-22-2005, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by lalo
I bought my taurus cup holders from a junk yard, I did see a few saab's but could not find any cupholders inside them??

Long story short I paid $5
I QUIT!!!!!!! Have your stero blocking cupholder and be happy I will go away and find my own solution since half the here cant read a dang post!
Old 04-22-2005, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by CyMax
Cupholder DEF thing that holds the damn cup while I drive. And Pal I've got your thing to occupy your right hand right here
actually that smiley shows a left hand..have fun making your little in console cup holder...i made a couple that fit down in the center console and allow full use of the console when the holders arn't in use, but never put them in my car...being all snappy at people trying to help (not me though, I was set on being a smartass) whether or not they were suggesting exactly what you wanted isn't a good way to get help..misreading a post is different than not reading it at all..a lot of people find the saab/taurus holders far superior to the stock holders, which could have seemed to be what the issue you were having was, if somone misread your post..I understood you didn't want an in dash holder at all, but it would have been easy to misread it as you didn't like the stock in dash cup holder..

If enough people express interest in my cup holders, I'll consider making another one and taking a pic of it..
Old 04-23-2005, 05:24 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I've heard the Taurus cupholder works great in our cars. Maybe you could grab one of those.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:30 AM

Old 04-23-2005, 09:19 AM

[QUOTE=Golden Ice]actually that smiley shows a left hand..have fun making your little in console cup holder...i made a couple that fit down in the center console and allow full use of the console when the holders arn't in use, but never put them in my car...being all snappy at people trying to help (not me though, I was set on being a smartass) whether or not they were suggesting exactly what you wanted isn't a good way to get help..misreading a post is different than not reading it at all..a lot of people find the saab/taurus holders far superior to the stock holders, which could have seemed to be what the issue you were having was, if somone misread your post..I understood you didn't want an in dash holder at all, but it would have been easy to misread it as you didn't like the stock in dash cup holder..[QUOTE]

Your right, I apologize. I'm on here alot as stress relief, finding new and fun things to do or try with my car, and sometimes I get out of my head. Everybody, please accept my apologies.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:43 AM

there are a couple of different ways you could go about making the holders..start with the common stuff though, get some thin wall 3" pvc pipe and a hole saw no more than 1/16th bigger than the outside of the pipe, infact, if its a little tight its alright, you can always shave a little bit of the plastic inside the console away with a file or dremel or somthing.
For the ones I made, you'll need an end cap and a coupler that fit snugly around the outside of the pipe you bought. you should be able to fit 2 holders in the console, but I never test fitted them, so you might only be able to fit 1 in there..cut a chunk of PVC pipe long enough to fit halfway into the coupler (or to the little ridge that stops it from going all the way through, if it has one) and stick out atleast far enough to fit all the way down into the end cap. You can adjust the length as you see fit for cans or whatever. With the console out of the car, or atleast lifted up enough for you to fit your hand and the PVC pipe under it, cut a hole in the console with the hole saw. put the end cap on one end of the pvc pipe and stick it up through the opening from underneith, then slide the coupler on, which will keep it from falling back through the hole. Make sure everything is very tight so it wont slip back out..you may want to use some kind of adhesive on the fittings, but it would make it permenent...if the holder is too deep, you can trim half of the coupler off with a sawzall with the coupler held in a bench vice or a C-clamp.

Option #2: you'll need a coupler for the pipe here too, which can be glued on for security since the holder will be dropped into the hole in the console from above without having to reach undernieth. You'll need some countersunk screws (3/4-1" long, drywall[all purpose], sheetmetal, or wood screws), a drill bit to predrill the holes for the screws, a countersink, and a round piece of particleboard or MDF or the like just barely small enough to fit inside the PVC pipe..Start by glueing the coupler on one end of the PVC pipe, slide the piece of wood in the pipe til the depth is adjusted appropriately, mark and cut the pipe off just past the wood. pre drill 3 holes through the PVC pipe into the chunk of wood, countersink the holes in the PVC a little bit (not too much, or the screws wont hold), and drive the screws in, and drop your new holder in place. I'd suggest painting the holders before installing them, or you might make a mess

hope that made sense
Old 04-23-2005, 12:58 PM

Hey jag off so do 10 guys on Ebay, go hock your wears elsewhere. I'm trying to ask for help not sell your goods.
And you are..? I was simply putting it out there that I have one (and I've had one for a couple months) and that it was for sale, many other members do the same thing, you have 50 posts and already you're starting **** with other people, I suggest not posting unless you have something worth posting
Old 04-23-2005, 11:35 PM

Your right, I apologize. I'm on here alot as stress relief, finding new and fun things to do or try with my car, and sometimes I get out of my head. Everybody, please accept my apologies.
Like I said before....
Old 04-24-2005, 12:40 AM

Buy beverages with caps! Simple freakin solution!!! Besides, I'd rather concentrate on driving the maxima the way it should be driven...quickly.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:23 AM

....sorry, but fast food restraunts don't sell bottles..and bottles = less liquid for the same amount of money as a fountain drink..I can fill my 100oz mug for what a 20oz bottle costs...not that my mug would fit in ANY drink holder, but even the convenience store standard fountain cups are a better value..not to mention its a PITA to take the cap off of a bottle while driving, so you end up leaving it off, and once again you have a drink holder issue
Old 04-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Maxima of the Month Dec. 07

I bought an adjustable cup holder at wal-mart. It adjusts to the size of the cup and then there's a tab that you push in the locks it into place. It came with velcro strips to mount it, so i mounted it inside the center console. I store the holder inside the console, then when i need to use it i just put it on the velcro and lock it into place and it holds very well. It's very stealth it's like a hide-away cup holder lol.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:11 AM

I had one of those once...the velcro doesn't hold tall drinks going around a curve at highway speed..course, I don't even have a cupholder in my max anymore aside from the stock one..i used to have a folding cup holder that was screwed to the back of the center console, but I moved it to my truck..
Old 04-24-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
I don't even have a cupholder in my max anymore aside from the stock onek..

Stock one??? Where is ther a stock cupholder in a 3rd Gen????
Old 04-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Stock one??? Where is ther a stock cupholder in a 3rd Gen????
92 up had a stock cup holder. It doesnt do much good because it has a really small hole and one larger one. The larger one will only hold a can.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
92 up had a stock cup holder. It doesnt do much good because it has a really small hole and one larger one. The larger one will only hold a can.
doesnt do much good, mike? are you serious??
the smaller hole on the left, will hold a small Wendy's frosty (the 99cent ones) perfectly,
and the larger hole on the right will hold their chipotle sauce cup thingies perfectly, so you can dip your 5piece in,

doesnt do much good my ***

Quick Reply: Cup holder in center ( between seats)??